Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I wrecked my Colorado...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang zeke Im sorry, but I am glad you are okay. I bet they total it, both airbags deployed and I was pretty sure if that happened it was an automatic total.

P.S. Im right there with you on the leaky t-tops, my passenger one leaks occasionally but not bad.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Lunchbox01
dang zeke Im sorry, but I am glad you are okay. I bet they total it, both airbags deployed and I was pretty sure if that happened it was an automatic total. P.S. Im right there with you on the leaky t-tops, my passenger one leaks occasionally but not bad.
Front airbags usually deploy at (a minimum of) 5, 10 or 15 MPH (I don't recall which right now) and not a lot of (newer like Zeke's) vehicles are totaled out from 15 MPH or under crashes.......this has nothing to do with Zeke's situation, just in response to your theory.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it'll be totalled based on value of vehicle vs cost to fix. ****, my CTS-V has over 6k in repairs from a tree falling on it and it isn't finished yet. Bet its $7500 by the time mine is done and it looked a LOT better than your truck!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about that, but its a good thing you're ok

About the leaky t-top....mine was leaking the other day, and I just took it out, and put it back in....no leak anymore....might be worth a shot before you try more indepth actions.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Sorry to hear about that, but its a good thing you're ok

About the leaky t-top....mine was leaking the other day, and I just took it out, and put it back in....no leak anymore....might be worth a shot before you try more indepth actions.
Nope, I've already tried the basic stuff and it didn't work. I'm probably going to have to replace the seal. I'm swapping tail lights with my Formula also, so I don't have a leaking one on the T/A.

I have a feeling the T/A will be my daily for 6 months to a year at this point.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Update... I talked to several body shops today, and showed them the pictures I posted in the thread, and they all said the truck is probably a total.... which is good and bad... Good because it would never be the same after a repair, bad because I'm still upside down on it. Not sure what they'd give me for it for a cash value.

I went out looking at trucks today to see what it would cost to replace it, and found that I can get an extended cab 5.3L Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 for less than the price of rebuilding my Colorado - $25K for the Silverado, $27K for the Colorado. No brainer if you ask me. 7700 lbs towing vs. 4000 lbs towing. Duh, lemme think on that.

Took one for a drive, it's a lot nicer truck, much smoother riding and a lot more comfortable. Just the seats alone were light years better than the Colorado was.

So I have to wait and see how this business with the Colorado turns out, I may end up replacing it with a new Silverado. Lots of things left to figure out, though.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

I would almost expect that dammage from a rice burner truck, but it surprises me a little to see that from an amerikan truck. My vote is still totalled though.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by howierd42
I would almost expect that dammage from a rice burner truck, but it surprises me a little to see that from an amerikan truck. My vote is still totalled though.
Well, it is an Isuzu truck with a Chevy badge on it... but I also hit an immovable concrete object almost head on at about 35 mph. That would pretty much **** up any car.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I found when I was looking at "Extreme" S-10s they were more money then a decked out 1/2 ton full size and near a 3/4.....
Old 02-28-2006, 12:46 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Yes I found when I was looking at "Extreme" S-10s they were more money then a decked out 1/2 ton full size and near a 3/4.....
Well, it's the incentives... Good Chevrolet has full-sizes on special, the prices were like $10K+ off MSRP. The truck I looked at was over $35K on the sticker, but they were selling it for ~$25K. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

It was even the same color as my Colorado, I really like that color.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, you can buy a brand new pickup pretty cheap right now. Too bad I wanted a shorty with 4 doors....
Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yeah, you can buy a brand new pickup pretty cheap right now. Too bad I wanted a shorty with 4 doors....

Me too but the "Duramax" option kills me every time
Old 02-28-2006, 10:19 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Well, the Silverado I drove is a lot more truck than I actually need... I don't really need an extended cab, but it's nice to have the extra storage space inside, that's a huge plus. I think more than anything the Silverado won me over in how much more comfortable and smooth riding it is. Felt like a freakin Cadillac on the road it was so damn quiet and smooth. It was a nice change from my Colorado. It would be nice if I could snag the one I drove, it's the same color as my Colorado, and was a really sharp looking truck... and it would be nice to have a truck that could do duty as a tow vehicle.

I'm going to talk to GMAC and see if they will let me buy the Silverado and just roll the balance of my old loan into a new one... it's a long shot, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, I'm gonna be daily driving my WS6 for a while.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn sorry about the wreck. Hope you can get the new truck.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Well, the Silverado I drove is a lot more truck than I actually need... I don't really need an extended cab, but it's nice to have the extra storage space inside, that's a huge plus. I think more than anything the Silverado won me over in how much more comfortable and smooth riding it is. Felt like a freakin Cadillac on the road it was so damn quiet and smooth. It was a nice change from my Colorado. It would be nice if I could snag the one I drove, it's the same color as my Colorado, and was a really sharp looking truck... and it would be nice to have a truck that could do duty as a tow vehicle.
If you are thinking a few years down the road, you would have the truck to tow and set up instead of a last minute scramble (not literally last minute but you know). The extra cab space is a huge plus - I would never downsize my truck to a bench cab like my first one since the room is very handy. Its amazing what you can cram into those Xcabs and still hear the speakers. Always a plus.

I'm going to talk to GMAC and see if they will let me buy the Silverado and just roll the balance of my old loan into a new one... it's a long shot, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, I'm gonna be daily driving my WS6 for a while.
Just depends on your current credit though they may roll it at a higher rate than what you have now. There always seems to be a catch with GMAC which is why I got away from them years ago.
*spits*
Yeah. They left a bad taste in my mouth a long time ago.

Hope you are feeling okay cuz that was one hard hit. It sucks but you walked away, far better than having to post you will be in a cast for awhile
Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by GEARHED
If you are thinking a few years down the road, you would have the truck to tow and set up instead of a last minute scramble (not literally last minute but you know). The extra cab space is a huge plus - I would never downsize my truck to a bench cab like my first one since the room is very handy. Its amazing what you can cram into those Xcabs and still hear the speakers. Always a plus.
That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking... I had planned down the road to buy a tow vehicle at some point, and I decided that if I got a truck after my Colorado I wanted at least an extended cab. Hell, it's nice to have that area just for simple stuff like groceries or something, and being able to carry more than two people if necessary is a plus. This way I would already have the truck, it's already got the towing package on it, and all I would need is a trailer and I'd be ready to go.

The other thing was that I was pretty tired of commuting in my Colorado because it's kind of bouncy and it's hard for me to find a comfortable seating position in it.... I sat down the in Silverado and the driver's seat was awesome, and the ride was incredible for a pickup. It would make my commute much more relaxing that's for sure.

The only negative I see is that parking that beast is going to be a bitch.

Just depends on your current credit though they may roll it at a higher rate than what you have now. There always seems to be a catch with GMAC which is why I got away from them years ago.
*spits*
Yeah. They left a bad taste in my mouth a long time ago.
Yeah, I really would rather not do it this way but it's my best option currently. My other choice is to drive my WS6 every day for the next 8-9 months while I pay off the balance of the Colorado, and then save up some money for a downpayment on something different... but at that point I wouldn't be able to get the same deal on a truck.

Hope you are feeling okay cuz that was one hard hit. It sucks but you walked away, far better than having to post you will be in a cast for awhile
I'll put it this way... my sinus infection bothered me more than the injuries from the crash. I just had a stiff neck for a couple days, and that was about it.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking... I had planned down the road to buy a tow vehicle at some point, and I decided that if I got a truck after my Colorado I wanted at least an extended cab. Hell, it's nice to have that area just for simple stuff like groceries or something, and being able to carry more than two people if necessary is a plus. This way I would already have the truck, it's already got the towing package on it, and all I would need is a trailer and I'd be ready to go.
With the tow pkg on you are half way there - it might pinch at first on the pennies but in two years you will have used that much and more with the extra cab space. I use mine way more than I thought I would and can still keep it clean (a little neurotic that way..).

The other thing was that I was pretty tired of commuting in my Colorado because it's kind of bouncy and it's hard for me to find a comfortable seating position in it.... I sat down the in Silverado and the driver's seat was awesome, and the ride was incredible for a pickup. It would make my commute much more relaxing that's for sure.

The only negative I see is that parking that beast is going to be a bitch.
One week and you'll have the parking part down. If you are going to commute its worth the extra comfort. Also consider how much better it would drive with a tow on it - sometimes that is *the* deciding point since it would ride a lot better with a full load instead of your headlights pointing up so far it looks like you are trying to land planes.

Yeah, I really would rather not do it this way but it's my best option currently. My other choice is to drive my WS6 every day for the next 8-9 months while I pay off the balance of the Colorado, and then save up some money for a downpayment on something different... but at that point I wouldn't be able to get the same deal on a truck.
Rates are only going up and you would pay more to keep the WS6 up from commuting than the difference in the interest. Besides, after 6 months with GMAC just about any bank will re-fi it for much lower interest which is how I got away from them 13 years ago. Its always a tough call but maybe this is that window to get what you need and want while the deal is available. Not to mention *something* always comes up when saving for a down payment that wipes it out. I swear, its a never ending cycle no matter how well you money managment skills are.

I'll put it this way... my sinus infection bothered me more than the injuries from the crash. I just had a stiff neck for a couple days, and that was about it.
Bet that airbag dust didn't help - its that time of year for the annual sinus infection and my neck hurts without a hit like that
Just glad you were able to walk away on your own two feet instead of the four wheel whambulance carrier
Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 AM
teh PuRpL3z

I just got a message from the body shop and State Farm just a few minutes ago. The body shop says that their preliminary estimate is $12,000 to repair it, but that does not include the suspension / frame damage... so they are pushing for it to be totalled. State Farm has an inspector from their total loss division going out to review the estimate, and they're supposed to contact me within the next 24-48 hours to tell me the results.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

State farm is good about totaling rig's
Old 03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Well, I have decided what I'm going to do...

I'm not going to replace the Colorado with anything right now. I'm just gonna pay it off and enjoy having no debts. I thought about it over the last few days, and I really don't think it's a smart idea to get massively in debt again with another huge car payment. Instead I'm going to enjoy having my cars paid off, my credit cards paid off, and having ZERO bills.

Which means more mods.

I gotta get out of this ******* 13 second tent.

Quick Reply: I wrecked my Colorado...