Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

2004 Viper SRT10!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Viper SRT10!!!

I finally got to drive one and what a beast those things are! A lot easier to drive than all the stories I have heard. The best way to describe it just driving around somewhat normal is like an old British sports car. It sounds like one and bounces a little like the old cars on the back roads. Then you hammer it and poof your gone with the tires spinning. This car feels very light, the steering is more responsive than mine and brakes are about the same (again that was just a 50mph stand on the brakes comparison). The car feels much bigger than mine even though its not. With the fender bulges and the long hood I felt like I was in a C3 vette. I had goose bumps when it was over. The only bad thing is the getting in and out. Makes the old C4 vettes seem like an average car here and we all now they were a pain. It is very difficult to do but a small price to pay to drive this bad boy. Now, as fast as it was as raw as it is, it is not faster than my Z. I think the fit and finish is better, the paint is way better, the seats are fabulous and people get out of your way or stop and stare. You definitely get a reaction out of everyone. As for this particular one I am not getting it. But I am seriously thinking about one or the new Z which is hard to come by and costs more. I really want to drive the new Z before I make a decision that costs this much. I have this feeling that I would prefer the Z and it is faster too. Oh well what fun. I have driven a Lingenfelter Z, a heads/cam Z, an E55 and now a Viper within the last two weeks. All are fabulous and wish I could have them all.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya i have a buddy back in houston who has one. never drivin it but the thing is bad. nice ride and plenty of power.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a lot of fun. I believe if I had the choice of Vipers I'd go early like first or second year. Raw, unapologetic, no top = PERFECT
Old 03-26-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, if I went with the earlier car I could keep both!! The interesting part is I know the GTS cars were in the 11's with the 450hp motor. Why are the ST10's with 500hp struggling to get there? I am sure there are many drivers that do it but the mag test can't across the board. The power is definitely there. I feel so conflicted right now that any direction I may go feels like it may be a mistake.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Way cool Eric, I'm jealous. Wish I had time to go take toys for torture tests!!!

As for which way to go, I think either is a good choice, rather than a mistake. IF you can afford to that is. I'd bet the new Z will be the faster car, reagrdless of the year of the Viper. But the looks of the Viper is unsurpassed IMO....
Old 03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Viper is drop dead gorgeous for sure. It would still overshadow the new Z when parked side by side. Plus its cheaper than the new Z. I will not buy a new Z with those crazy mark ups. The car invoices for $59k believe it or not. To add $10k plus onto of MSRP is plain stupid even if you have the cash to throw at it. The depreciation will be a killer. I find the price for a used 03-04 Viper to be pretty reasonable if your willing to go outside the PNW to get one. I still have a hard time letting my Z go since I love this thing.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

I wish I had your problems, Eric. Let's see: Viper or new Z06 ... hmmm. I agree that the Viper is much more agressive looking but if you want the pure power the Z is going to win hands down. Why Chevy makes cars look so bland is really beyond me. If you have a car capable of running 12s or 11s then it should also look like it when it is standing still. As for the price, it might behove you to look elsewhere for the car and just drive it back. It would be cheeper than an extra ten grand.

Quick Reply: 2004 Viper SRT10!!!