Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

How I spent my weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How I spent my weekend

Most people have normal weekends. I have Tuesday and Wednesday (normally). Well, my boss is in New York this week so I had to work a couple of hours to cover. Bummer.

When I got home I put the car on the side of the house and spent the day Tuesday after work clay barring the car. Dawn for the first wash, Z-18 clay, and Dawn again to remove the clay goo. When I got done the car was a mess. I put it in the garage and I was looking at the paint under the lights and I thought I would just bag the shows this year and pay for a new paint job. The paint was dull in spots and spiderwebbed everywhere.

Today I got up and got the ScratchX out and went to work on the paint. After 1 coat it was starting to look acceptible. Most of the spiderwebbing went away. I put some Mirror Glaze on it next and most of the dull paint went away. I thought I might actually be able to pull this off. So I put some Z-2 on next and OMG the car started to take shape with some depth. Next coat with Z-5 and it was looking cleaner, clearer, and deeper. Finally I put on another coat of Z-2 on and the car was just fabulous. The vinyl was popping out even without any light reflecting off of it.

I am aching in the knees and back now. I feel like I just finished the starring roll in a **** flick. I forgot how much work it was to get just the outside of the car in show shape. I still have the wheels, trim, interior and engine bay to do all before Colby on the 28th.

I will post picts later ... maybe.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

shiet! thats a lt of work. Ive goota give props for your hard work!

Cant wait to see some pics.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

Lots of work but very rewarding.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

And that, ladies & gentleman, is why I let my car look like 99% of the time........I just can't put my body thru that kinda pain & suffering.

Nice job on making her look all purty though Howard.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Great Job Howard, I've been doing similar stuff to my car, though it's not going to any shows anytime soon It sure is worth the work when you stand back and look at it...