Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

PIR Upgrades coming!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006 | 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default PIR Upgrades coming!

I was at PIR today with Park Place and Don Kitch showed everyone the drawings for the proposed renovations to PIR. Currently, work is underway for an 11,000 seat grand stand that is already sold out for this years NHRA event. Second, the gravel pits that are to the right of the entrance road are supply SeaTac with gravel for the added runways. With the money the owners are going to revise the road course and pave it, add a 1/4mi circle dirt track where trees are currently at where you wait for the gates to open, and a speed shift kart track will be added where the gravel pits are. I looked over the drawings (in case you do not know I am an engineer) and they are very impressive. Actual paved parking lots! You would be surprised to know how much the road course, the driving school and Park Place are behind this. Right now, they offer the Lotus Elise for lapping through a joint venture with Park Place. Ain't cheap but if today was any indication people do not mind paying the money. Serious buyers are given 10 free laps too. The future is looking bright!

As for my day at the track it was awesome. I met Peter Brock and went for a couple of laps with him. For those that don't know he designed the 63 Vette and the 65 Shelby Daytona. He had the replica from Superperformance that he was involved with there. What a car! There was a Ford GT and a new Z06! That new Z06 walked me on the straights and left me in the curves too. Awesome car and I will now get one! I maded incredible progress. I tangled with a Nobel and lost, ran with Chris Bingham (he of Grand Am and AMLS fame) and lost, but ran some of the fastest times for anyone that was not a pro. There is nothing like hanging the *** end out coming out of turn 8 and staying in it! I actually had all driver aids turned off. The Active Handling system was slowing me down. When I would talk to one of the instructors afterwards they just lit up saying that instead of asking questions I was now telling them what the car was actually doing. Supposedly that it a BIG step. All in all I did just over 200miles today and I am tired as hell. What a day, now its time to go back.
Old 05-16-2006 | 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you had a blast. That's cool about the upgrades. So are you talking about Pacific Raceways or Portland International Raceway?
Old 05-16-2006 | 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pacific.
Old 05-17-2006 | 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, what are the plans for the road course? If they can redo parts of turns 4-7 it would be good. There are a couple points through there where the grading is less than ideal and can unsettle your chassis.

BTW, I'm signed up for Tuesday, May 30th. They were going to have a beginners class that day, but it wasn't filling up, so they've opened all the slots for advanced lapping. Last I checked, there were nearly 20 slots available. It'd be great to see some familiar faces in those slots.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

BTW, I'm signed up for Tuesday, May 30th. They were going to have a beginners class that day, but it wasn't filling up, so they've opened all the slots for advanced lapping. Last I checked, there were nearly 20 slots available. It'd be great to see some familiar faces in those slots

hmmm.... sounds like a perfect chance to "test" my new tires
Old 05-17-2006 | 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Soooooooooooooo Eric! Did that little ride we took last year finally sink in?

Sounds like you did good this time. You *know* I'd be there if I had the car to do it in

yes, diapers would be handed out in advance
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Amy, that little ride was impressive to me because I never have seen a GIRL drive half way decent!!

The road course will be changed at the end of the straight away. Instead of turn 1 going to the right it will be a left sweeper that ties back into turn 2 to go down the hill into 3A and 3B. Not sure if it will reduce overall top speeds but it looks sweet on paper.
Old 05-18-2006 | 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ram-it
Amy, that little ride was impressive to me because I never have seen a GIRL drive half way decent!!
That lil trip cracked me up and there was no room to do any decent driving. I'd still be up to giving your wife driving lessons if she wants, have no idea what she's afraid of.

The road course will be changed at the end of the straight away. Instead of turn 1 going to the right it will be a left sweeper that ties back into turn 2 to go down the hill into 3A and 3B. Not sure if it will reduce overall top speeds but it looks sweet on paper.
Sounds like someone finally came up with a design that will actually work out there. Its been decades but going right at the end of turn 1 seemed akward, a sweeping left would give you room to drop then pick up speed a little if you know what you are doing. From looking at it could there be a bit of drift going from 1 to 2?
Old 05-18-2006 | 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

About time somebody on this side of the Mountains got their ****** **** together. I still wish the pinheaded treehuggin maggot voters would have approved something like this up north though.
Old 05-18-2006 | 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
About time somebody on this side of the Mountains got their ****** **** together. I still wish the pinheaded treehuggin maggot voters would have approved something like this up north though.
You have to be joking.
Between tribal land holding and shoving developments in any place possible NO ONE would get a permit up there for a track. They got that whole NIBY thing going on.

The part that sucks is PR *knows* they are getting the market and may price us right out for fun over NHRA dates. They can tell you it costs X amount for insurance and track up keep and all sorts of goofy expenses but days end, 2+2=4, not 5.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
Old 05-18-2006 | 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

PR's motto is "baffle em with bullshit and **** em off with ignorance"
Old 05-18-2006 | 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you're hooked Eric.....and making some good progress too. SWEET!!!

Quick Reply: PIR Upgrades coming!