Thoughts on this helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on this helmet

Zamp JA-1 Sa 2005 approved

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1361&cid=18

OR I buy the pyrotech at $109 but its onmly snell 2000 and when will that be outlawed is my concern for not getting it.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/index.cfm...roduct_ID=4961

Need insight and experience please. Gonna go to Woodburn friday if it dont rain. Inlaws are in town so I have the time this week. Need to order today though
Old 06-07-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not big on open faced helmets at all. BUT if you HAVE to have an open face get the SA-2005 rated one. And if you buy that one from Apex Performance, tell Linda "boyce" sent you. She might cut you a deal since I sold almost 20K in HANS devices for her in March.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

They're $100 cheaper and thats real appealing to me right now

No one seems to have them in stock either. Called apex but got no answer, I'll call them again tho and use your name. Its for occasional drag racing so I dont really need to spend $250 or more but I know its my mellon and pretty face thats getting protected so if I had it I would spend more. I dont like to skimp on personal safety if I can avoid it.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just got off the phone with Linda @ apex and told her you might be calling. They are a pretty busy shop. She said that the SA rated helmet is on back order through the manufacturer right now but they should have something SOON. She said she might be able to work something on the price with you but your already getting the free helmet bag (I have it and like it better than my simpson bag), free balaclava (which if you dont use, I'll buy it from you) and free shipping. So its a smoking deal as is.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

Ok maybe not $100
what do you think of this one? I like the open eye port. Worried about fogging but this has the chin guard for face smash protection
http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1001&cid=18
Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
I just got off the phone with Linda @ apex and told her you might be calling. They are a pretty busy shop. She said that the SA rated helmet is on back order through the manufacturer right now but they should have something SOON. She said she might be able to work something on the price with you but your already getting the free helmet bag (I have it and like it better than my simpson bag), free balaclava (which if you dont use, I'll buy it from you) and free shipping. So its a smoking deal as is.
Cool, I'll just have to wait then. No sense in spending extra money for shipping when it can go to protection.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would prefer that one over the open face. But if its going to break your wallet, go open face.

One thing for everyone to consider when looking at a helmet. I know alot of you guys use M rated buckets. But M and SA series helmets are tested totally different. M rated helmets are tested for grazing impacts and sliding across the asphalt, whereas SA rated helmets are tested for blunt impacts like on roll bars, dash boards, wind shields etc. Just some food for thought.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Cool, I'll just have to wait then. No sense in spending extra money for shipping when it can go to protection.
The shipping is FREE on both those helmets.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

The shipping is FREE on both those helmets.
I was gonna ask to ship second day or overnight so I could race this Friday but I wont. Ok well I've decided to go with the better protection, its more than I wanted to spend but thats the way its goes sometimes. It wont break me, just means top ramen for a week instead of rib eyes. At $109 that pyrotech looks real nice but its not as good a helmet as the g-force at $199 protection wise and thats something to consider as well.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

No racing this week anyway for street legals. jet cars are in town
Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to helmetcity.com. Call them directly and ask for Kyle Seipel. He is the owner and I know him well. Tell him Jason Plourd sent you and he will give a discount and is great w/ shipping out!

Jason
Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...cs/clspphoenix

There are solids also available for 152.99 and free 3 day shipping!

Last edited by 11secproject; 06-07-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned

Its m rated and has a shield which I really didnt want. Thanx for the link and offer tho I'm looking at all their stuff right now. I wish he had Sa helmets as well, that would work great.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Whats the diff between the 2?? He's a drag racer so call him and he'll take care of ya...
Old 06-07-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

One thing for everyone to consider when looking at a helmet. I know alot of you guys use M rated buckets. But M and SA series helmets are tested totally different. M rated helmets are tested for grazing impacts and sliding across the asphalt, whereas SA rated helmets are tested for blunt impacts like on roll bars, dash boards, wind shields etc. Just some food for thought.
From above

EDIT:
Most guys that drag race use M rated helmets because they are a dime a dozen and pass tech. But believe it or not and M rated helmet and an SA rated helmet have to meet totally different standards. Generally speaking M rated helmets are for motorcyle use. Don might be the one to ask this question but if I am not mistaken you can not enter a national points event with a M rated helmet. He would know better about that than me though.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well the one he said was M rated is Snell2005...isn't that what matters? Snell?

Construction: Injection Molded Polycarbonate Composite
Weight: 3.6 lbs/1640 grams (approx, based on Size Medium Solid Color)
Standard: DOT-218, Snell-M2005
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK OK so,....that "stuff" about no "open faced helmets" at some future date and nothing older than "05" last time we were at the track was just,........................misimformation??????? ??????
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

The big difference is in the testing. The M helmet doesnt get the roll bar 3 time hit. It gets an edge hit one time. Also a SA helmet can be illegal on the street due to sight restrictions. But the Sa also has fire retardent material where the M doesnt. In short the Sa helmet is made for auto racing and not for a motorcyle. The M helmet is made for a motorcycle but can be used for an auto. They beat the hell out of both of them when they test em but the tests are specific to the environment they will face.

The biggest problem 11second is that I really dont like the visor on a full face. I like the open eye port. I'm still looking tru his sight to see if there is one I like though. He's got some cool looking helmets and the one I'm thinking seriously about getting is plain white. I might have to have it painted black.

My thought is that the Sa rated helmet will be more durable as its built to take multiple roll bar hits. I am concerned about the regs changing in the future as well. I almost bought a snell 95 last year that would be no good this year so its a consideration to be aware of for sure.

http://www.smf.org/

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this helmet