Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Damn This Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poik
Naw even better would be a SOM WS.6 rolling on Fikses!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poik
Naw even better would be a SOM WS.6 rolling on Fikses!
Yes that would be nice, but I have been there done that. I would like to do a silver with black interior on iforged Aero's though....

I'd be all over that Formie if I could magically get 10k for my vert...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just take the heads off and clean them? Then you can look at the pistons and pro'lly have to clean some crap there as well. Its just time and a bolt and gasket set to do it right. Well maybe a hot tank as well but thats more money. If it were me and that is what I saw I'd pull the heads and clean the ever loving **** out of them. Those are fking nasty looking. At least when you have the heads off you can look at cylinder walls and the pistons and make a better decision. The car ran good before you took it apart didnt it?
As far as expensive heads, dont waste the money on 346 cu in for good heads. Unless your getting them used for 1k or less IMO expensive heads are a waste on a stock bottom end. You know what my car has for power and my heads are only $1200 brand new now. Good luck
Old 07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Well that would only solve part of the problem there is going to be that gunk all through out the engine oil passages and probably a bunch of gunk in the oil pan.

At this point I have pretty much given up on this motor, I'm going to throw it back together and finish all the bolt ons and do the 2000 mile oil change for awhile. Enjoy it for the summer and maybe finish the interior etc.

This winter I'll either sell it or buy a 402 alumn block with some Dart 225 (I can get them almost as cheap as you got your PRC's) and install that setup over the winter.

Kinda sucks cause after I got it running and with some gears I was going to do a cam and springs setup. Oh well.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

I thought you were taking the pan off to do rod bolts? Last I talked to you about the car you were going with ARP's. Decided against it? Are both sides like that? OR is it just where the PCV valve was? I suppose I'd be pretty depressed about the engine and want a new one if I found that as well. On the good side if you wanted to save a little more coin you could get a forged 370 iron block for way cheap money instead of a 402 but that’s personal choice. I waffle over the decision all the time(just in case I break mine). 370 and buy AFR's or ET or RHS heads or 408 and have mine re-worked a little or just sell them and get some TSP specials again. I mean for $3000 for a bullet proof 370 and $2500 for heads could produce a serious power plant. 402 or 408 are almost 2k more to start with now. But if you have it then spend it I always say!! Your gonna get a deal on the Darts so I guess your already saving so you can up the cubic inches. But if you went with I think your paying $1200 for the Darts or less? and a 3k SB you could have most of the long block for less than 4500 and a screamer at that and then have coin for the other stuff you'll need. I know money is tight and a big consideration for you, or at least it was
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Banned

Ok my math was off. a 402 or 408 is only 4k. Thats a difference of 1k from 3k not 2000..
Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Well you hit the nail on the head I waffle on this car. The reason is I like it but I don't LIKE IT. If I LIKED it then I think it would be a forged 347 setup with stock heads and dual valve springs and a single turbo kit. It might still be especially with the truck manifold kit available now for pretty cheap. BUT and a very big BUT is that if I did a decked out 402 with Darts that motor could go into other cars like a C5 Z06 or a Trailblazer SS.

So the big question is do I pimp this car out and keep it until 2010 second year of the new Camaro in which case I'm pretty sure I'd go turbo.

Or can I not wait that long for a new ride and pic something else up in 2008 and drop the 402 out of it.

I'm pretty much keeping the vert no matter what because its a cheap toy for the wife, I don't want to have to pick up a E46 bimmer convertible in a year because she wants her sun...

I was hoping that after I got it sounding good and the 6spd with gears I would kind of fall in love if you know what I mean and just be happy with it.

Oh I miss the days of the Z06 and the vert in the same garage. Hell I miss the days of the WS6 and the vert in the same garage. But my little boy is definately worth it I have to get his projectile puke on camera the kid has some range.

I just need to stop obsessing about this **** I'm driving myself crazy!!

And yes I can get Darts for about 1200-1300 its just a serious PITA to go through my fathers speed shop for cheap parts. I can get coated pacesetters for 290 something but its not worth the hassle.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned

Well.... You plan on keeping the car(vert) no matter what. So your always gonna need a nice setup in it. Thing is if you build a motor thinking it can always go into something else then your gonna have to build a new motor for the vert all over again.
Why not tackle one beast at a time. Gas mileage is a consideration so keeping the cubic inches down isnt a bad idea. 347 Turbo and stock heads or nice heads and a 370 and n2o would be about the same in gas I'm thinking. I never owned a v-8 with a turbo so I dont really know what the gas consumption is. My guess is pretty friggin high if your putting your foot into it. The turbo will cost more than heads and n2o so thats a thought as well.
If you end up buying something else you can think about mods for it, but right now you've just said the vert is a lifer so just think about it and save yourself some headache
Old 07-10-2006, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa,,,,,,,,,, wtf,,,, thats real shitty dude, sorry to see that.

I might have a solution for ya, so pm me or give me ring later.

Mike

Quick Reply: Damn This Car