Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Do you agree that cooler isn't better for our LS based motors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill !!!

Welcome Back! Good to hear from you.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Bill !!!

Welcome Back! Good to hear from you.
Hear hear

As Bill said, some of what is being posted here is true, some isn't. There are many issues regarding proper coolant & oil type, temperature, pressure, volume etc etc that one needs to consider in a racing engine that haven't been mentioned. For instance, did you know:

That 10W40 oils break down under high temps & turn into something like bits of gravel? So use 5W30, 10W30, 20W50....anything but 10W40!

If you use hi-grade oil, additives are a complete waste of money? Watch one of those infomercials where they fill a motor with Redline (or equiv) then drain it & run the motor @ 6000 rpm for 5 minutes & take it apart & find no damage.

Too much oil pressure is a BAD thing? You end up washing your bearings, meaning the oil moves past them so fast it doesn't have time to lubricate or cool. (yes, oil cools the motor) Hence the reason most of the hi-$ racing oil pumps list a volume spec along with pressure. You want hi volume.

Electric water pumps push water like your engine is turning 4500 rpm, so when you're racing they aren't keeping up, but at idle they are cooling like crazy.

Now when it comes to coolant, not only does the type matter, but the mix as well. Water is the best coolant, but it boils at a lower temp & corrodes. So you add 50% anti-freeze. And it also tends to develope tiny air bubbles on the contact surfaces, so you use Water Wetter.

As for factory coolant temp gauges, mine is dead-nuts accurate.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Distilled water is best for aluminum motors as well. No contaminants whatsoever. This may be a bit nitpicky to some, but anything I can do to make the motor happy and last longer is worth it to me.

I also try to change the coolant mix once a year, but sometimes that doesn't happen so I'll go every two years max. And I'm due this year.

And, although I run synthetic oil I still change it right around 3K miles.

Some say it's a waste of money, and well, it very well could be. But it gives me peace of mind and it's my money to waste.