Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Meth Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006 | 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Default Meth Questions

Ryan,

What a/f should I shoot for? Does your kit add more meth with more boost? Do you turn it up at hi rpm / boost to richen the a/f? Or do you just add fuel? Mine has a 2 bar MAP & is progressive. I only did one short WOT run, but I think it's rich initially & then leans out. (10 going to 12) And what mix of meth are you using?

Sorry for all the questions, but now that I have my wideband working, I need to pick someone's brain that's done some tuning on a car that runs good. I want to get the car dialed in by the race on the 23rd....should be some turbo cars at the BOP.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 09-09-2006 | 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't know but interesting title
Old 09-10-2006 | 01:02 AM
Pathological Modifier

Mark,
Mine is the same as yours, its the progressive 2 bar setup. I have my turn-on point set to about 3psi and full at 10. I would run the largest jet that the kit comes with, I have two nozzels and run two of the mid sized jets. I run straight methanol, the only reason they recommend you don't is due to the reservoir not really being rated for a flamable substance and a 49% methanol/51% DI water mix is technically not flamable...

As far as setting the AFR, I just tune around the methanol. In other words, set the meth flow rate with the nozzle and progressive controller the way above, and then tune the fuel as needed to get the desired AFR.

Ryan K.
Old 09-10-2006 | 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

So you don't lower your a/f target by .5 or 1 full point to compensate for the methanol affect? Meaning if you were aiming for 11.5 or 12 NA now you'd try to hit 10.5 to 11.5.

Mine is setup to come on at 4 psi & then increase with boost. I can adjust how much it increases with boost, and since it seems to be leaning out up top I'm thinking I need to add more meth there, but maybe that's backwards. What you seem to be saying is adj the fuel. So you use the meth just to stop detonation?

And my kit is designed to take 100%. What is the advantage? MO-POWER? (& I only have 1 jet so far)
Old 09-11-2006 | 02:18 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

One thing to watch out for is what I encountered a few weeks ago: since you tune around the meth, I have it running 11.2-4ish under wot, however, I was getting on the freeway and rolled into it and seen about 13.3ish afr running 7#'s of boost, not cool! What had happened was I let the reservoir get low and it sucked an air bubble and stopped working for a little bit till I got the air bubble out. So just make sure you keep your eye on the afr.

Brian
Old 09-11-2006 | 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

i like shooting for 10.80:1 air fuel on my wideband when i shoot in meth. I run 85%meth 15% water.
i have a progressive kit.
Old 09-11-2006 | 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Brian, that is why I wanted Ryans wideband gauge. My system has an LED that is upposed to go red when the pump quits pumping fluid (like with an air bubble) but Christ that LED is small. It's normally green when it's OK
Old 09-11-2006 | 03:54 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

I've got those led's too, never installed it, however, with the dynojet wbc, I can set the led warning light on the gauge to come on if throttle is greater than "x" and afr is leaner than "x", it's pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Meth Questions