Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Roll Bar Spec and pic-Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Roll Bar Spec and pic-Comments?

I found this on a NHRA site. It states 6inches from rol bar to helmet. Now i was busted at PR for roll bar not being within 3 inches of head as per there NHRA spec, the way they got it. I did also find a spec at nhra that said 4inches. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

and here is the link where I got it,
http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html
Robert
Old 10-15-2006 | 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting. Does not surprise me thought. It seems things change faster than people can make mods to the cars. I know once I get a cage built and installed in the car I am not going to want to re-make it every year because a track and the NHRA can't get on the same page in the rule book.
Old 10-15-2006 | 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

well The rest of us have been fighting this for years.

there is pretty much no way to get our cars to pass...so we cheat a little

Tilt the front of your seat up all the way and the back down all the way...pass tech and reset
Old 10-15-2006 | 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

I thought it was your helmet must be no closer than 3" and no farther away than 6", and the top bar must be above your helmet.
Old 10-15-2006 | 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try to get your helmet below the bar in a corvette, not happening. They must have to take these rules with a grain of salt sometimes, as some cars just can't meet the specs. But, if it's 6 inches, then that's much easier to live with compared to the tower telling tech guys it has to be 3 inches. So, is it 3 or 6?
Robert

Last edited by Robert56@NitrousDirect; 10-15-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

They told us we had to install race seats and set them on the floor.

WELL when you do that in our cars you can't see over the dash....

MUCH safer eh?
Old 10-15-2006 | 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here it is, was posted over at corvetteactioncenter.com.

ROLL BARS
Mandatory in A/S through M/S*, A/SA through M/SA*, and all convertibles. Front braces may not extend in front of the firewall. Six-point attachments permitted. Roll cages permitted. See General Regulations 4:10, 4:11.

Quote:
GR 4:10 ROLL BARS
All roll bars must be within 6 inches of the rear, or side, of the driver's head, extend in height at least 3 inches above the driver's helmet with the driver in normal driving position, and be at least as wide as the driver's shoulders or within 1 inch of the driver's door. Rollbar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar. Sidebar must be included on driver's side and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. Swing-out sidebar permitted. All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver's shoulders or to side bar. All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to the frame; installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame, therefore it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheeltubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely. All 4130 chromoly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by approved MIG wire feed or TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. (see illustration in book) Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver's helmet may contact it while in driving position. Adequate padding must have minimum 1/4-inch compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1.

Quote:
GR 4:11 ROLL CAGE
All cage structures must be designed in an attempt to protect the driver from any angle, 360 degrees. All 4130 chromoly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by approved MIG wire feed or TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. Plating of chassis prohibited in Comp for cars manufactured after 01-01-2002; painting permitted. Additionally, roll cage must be padded anywhere driver's helmet may contact it while in driving position. Advanced ET, Comp, Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Pro Stock, Funny Cart and Top Fuel padding must meet SFI Spec 45.1. (see illustrations on pages 210-215).

Robert
Old 10-15-2006 | 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

I need to get out in the car with the helmet and do some measuring so when I go to get inspected I can be prepared. My seat will tilt on both front and rear, so I should be able to manipulate the seat to meet these standards.

They are stupid though!!! The tech guys have to be understanding to the bunch of us in some area's!! We do the best we can........
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

i just spoke to nhra tech operations about roll bar in my 2002 ss camaro convertible. i have the same print out you have and he told me i have to add two pieces from the inside of the loop down toward the center of the floor that have to be welded to my surframe connectors. don't know how i'm going to do that as my connectors aren't there. bmr's are just under the sides. if you have a vert and run under 13.99 you need a bar, maybe gm should install them at factory....
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by caddobass
i just spoke to nhra tech operations about roll bar in my 2002 ss camaro convertible. i have the same print out you have and he told me i have to add two pieces from the inside of the loop down toward the center of the floor that have to be welded to my surframe connectors. don't know how i'm going to do that as my connectors aren't there. bmr's are just under the sides. if you have a vert and run under 13.99 you need a bar, maybe gm should install them at factory....
Hard to attach to som thing that is not there
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

NHRA is just getting stupid now. I understand safety concerns but give me a freakin' break already. Pretty soon you will need a 10-point cage just to take a hard top down the track. Converts and t-tops will just be outed at tech.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar Spec and pic-Comments?