Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

MAFs for big cubes/forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it help the situation to just go to a stand alone pcm like Ryan is using. Don't know if that would help but it might be worth looking into. I have read alot of posts about high power cars running a aftermarket pcm setup and having great success.

I ran sd for almost a year, granted my car was not a daily driver it did have pretty good street maners. Yhea it won't be perfect but for racing who cares about drivabilty. look at the rpm range you live in at the track it is almost all closed loop anyway, or mybee it's open loop but you know what I mean.

Mark like i told you before, you are at that point when you have to make a decision......race car or street car, can't have both. You have to sacrifice something

Just my two cents.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Pathological Modifier

Mark I have a complete MegaSquirt sitting here tested, and ready to go. I bet $ that you'll be faster with it... For the high HP cars, I think the stock PCM is a liability when it comes to fuel control. Let the PCM do everything else, just let the fueling come from a stand alone. I have had fantastic luck with them for fuel over the stock computer. The cool thing is that the MS can be done for under $450.

Ryan K.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about that several times, but was scared away by the lack of SEFI control capability. It could be argued with my 60s running at ~90% duty cycle, it doesn't really matter.....care to shed any light Ryan?

And no Dog, I'm not ready to make the full-on committment. It shall remain a street car....an obnoxiously loud one that runs 0-60 in > 2.4, 0-100 in 6.5+, the 1/4 in low 10s, and a top speed of around 195. But hey, it still gets 17mpg, passes emissions, and is WAY too much fun to drive.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Pathological Modifier

Well as far as SEFI goes, SEFI has proven to not yeild any increase in HP vs. Staggerd Batch Fire injection. Its only utilized to bring down emissions (even that is debateable). I can even show you how to wire it so that it is easily switchable... (8 Micro Switches) between The Stock PCM and MS. Of couse I am sure it can be done with a single switch, but that adds to the complexity.

Not that you would need too, I think the MS is a great option for everyday. I set one up on Brian's car (Silverbullet 02) and his dad has been street driving the car for the last few months.

Ryan K.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Pathological Modifier

Oh and I did I mention that the MS can take your wideband out put as a direct input to control the WOT AFR?

Ryan
Old 10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Hmmmm, I can easily see how at WOT the batch fire would be as good, considering my inj dc. But I figured it would have idling / dirveability issues. Interesting. And you say you have one sitting there ready to go? For sale?

So how much trouble is it to convert to this? Seems to be the un-mentioned part on their website.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Pathological Modifier

Most cars were batch fire in the 90's... They seem to run fine. It has zero affect on driveablity. You need to add one sensor (coolant temp) and thats pretty easy. Then I just use the factory harness for the injector driver circuit.

Install takes just a couple of hours.

Ryan K.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

I guess all we need to do now is decide when & where? Obviously this weekend is bad for me, unless you can come over to my place.....