Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

LS1 Hot Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Hot Cam

Whats that? I dont know the first thing about cams, and my neighbor who is car savvy suggested that I get one and he will put it in... what does it mean? more power? more noise? what?!?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Both.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id go with something bigger in my opinion
Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

well I cant go too much bigger, cause I dont know what that means, but he said its not too much but its just enouh, and I should also do headders with the cam for max preformance.
How much more power will I get?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looooots of great cams out there now for LS1s not like the old days but you might want to remember that we DO have emissions and you will have to deal with that there are some wizards on this forum that can NO DOUBT help you pick the right on but then there is an awfull lot of "supporting" mods also I think what you need, is to call Ellis @ speed secrets,..................ALL will be revealed!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

I only have 500 to spend tho. Thats all the wifey approved me for...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Get a MS4 and call it a day.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

I spent 300 on my cam from Lingenfelter. It is a GREAT sleeper cam with an even better sleeper tune by Ellis. I think it was worth at least 25 hp -- I still have not had the chance to dyno it since I got the thing installed. But if you add hedders at the same time you will be looking at an EASY 35 hp without even trying. There are combos out there that could push you into the 50-75 hp range. But if you are trying to stay emissions legal, then the one I got from Linenfelter is your best bet.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:47 AM
12 Second Club

With $ 500 to spend not sure you have the budget to do a cam swap. You will need more than just the cam to complete the install, and you will need a tune afterwards.

We have some experienced guys on this board that gave me some golden advice a few years ago: First what is your plan for the car, Driver, Drag Race, Road course. Make a plan do your research then start modding, most of us started with bolt on's first then a cam swap. Understand that with each mod you gain in one place but also compromise in others. Also once you start good luck stopping.

In my opinion one of the best mods is a gear swap. I have 4:11's in my M-6 and 3:73's in my A-4 and they just wake the car up, but you compromise a little mileage and you will get some gear noise, but they just make the car so much more fun to drive

I have the Hot Cam it is one of many good choices out there but back to my goals, I use the car mostly for Sunday drives and Cruise in's I wanted a performance increase and sound. The Hot Cam bark is worse than its bite.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

The Hot Cam makes about 25hp, but the Ling cam Howard has is MUCH easier to make idle, especially with an automatic, and make sthe same power. But the Hot Cam has one of the nicest sounding idles IMO. Very choppy!!!

And you MIGHT be able to install either of them without having to upgrade your rockers & springs. But springs are always a good idea with a perf cam. The stock springs are only good for about 525 lift & 6,000 rpm. Any good cam will take you there or beyond.

No slam intended, but for guys that do not know what they're doing, I always recommend having someone like Ellis do it for you. That way you'll get what you wanted - power AND reliability. It sucks to spend money & end up with a car that runs like crap.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Ummm... I know I should know this, but who is ellis?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lunchbox01_chris
Ummm... I know I should know this, but who is ellis?
Ellis is your local tuner guy that can help you in your area. As for a cam, don't let the other guys talk you into some huge cam. A cam is definitely something that isn't always better if its bigger. As mentioned above a LPE GT2-3 will be a breeze to tune and is worth 25+hp, if you want the choppy idle and the cammy sound then go with the hot cam. It sounds like your car is basically stock and if that is the case then either cam will work good for you. Both LPE and the GM HOT cam will require a set of GM LS6 springs. If you want a larger cam you will need more mods to take advantage of the cam.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could find a used MTI Stealth II, its a nice cam that will give you a little more power than those but at the cost of valvetrain noise. It will also require a better set of springs like 918's. But I got 401 out of it without a dyno tune with just an intake and headers (LS6 heads it was on my Z06.)

It really depends on goals. Although I'd talk to the wife and give her some extra $$$ for shoes so she'll increase your cam budget to at least 800. Your still looking at a small cam with on a 115+ so tuning can be done later when you get headers.

BTW I had good results with the stealth II without headers as well, and the LPE does well without headers too...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

All the help here has been fantastic. As for the increased budget I think my wife has put her foot down . FOr this year since I already got new wheels and I want this cam now, I think I have to wait till next year when i get back to do anything else. I have decided to go with the hot cam, I want that cammy noise and choppines. I will find a way to contact ellis, and see what it will cost fot the cam and LS6 springs. Is that all I need or is there more. My neighbor builds cars and is working on a chevelle. All the cars he does are used at the rrack, the last one he did was an el camino with 1000+hp and a beast, so I just need parts and he will do the work at the same time he will be teaching me so I wond be so knowledgeless.

So I guess all i need is a list of stuff to buy. I also was wondering if the car will need a tune after the install. so with all that said...

ELLIS WHERE ARE YOU?? Help me oh mighty one .
Old 10-21-2006, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lunchbox01_chris
All the help here has been fantastic. As for the increased budget I think my wife has put her foot down . FOr this year since I already got new wheels and I want this cam now, I think I have to wait till next year when i get back to do anything else. I have decided to go with the hot cam, I want that cammy noise and choppines. I will find a way to contact ellis, and see what it will cost fot the cam and LS6 springs. Is that all I need or is there more. My neighbor builds cars and is working on a chevelle. All the cars he does are used at the rrack, the last one he did was an el camino with 1000+hp and a beast, so I just need parts and he will do the work at the same time he will be teaching me so I wond be so knowledgeless.

So I guess all i need is a list of stuff to buy. I also was wondering if the car will need a tune after the install. so with all that said...

ELLIS WHERE ARE YOU?? Help me oh mighty one .
Here is his email addy: speed-secrets@comcast.net

Tell him Tom from down south sent you
Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

LS6 springs will be perfect. Check around, you might find a Hot Cam kit that has them incl for a good price. And if your friend doesn't have much LS1 exp, tell him to check out HowToLS1.com. It has a lot of good info about cam swaps that he will need to know.

And Ellis is at the race track trying to run a 9.....I imagine he'll be around later.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

thanks all. Ill keep you all updated
Old 10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

$500 isn't much money to do much. Every time I decided to do anything it seems like it is over $500. You can pick up the parts for that price, but mess up the install and you could be out 6x that amount, so is worth it to have it done right. You might be able to find some used headers and that could be a install you could do, but then tuning is almost always needed or at least a handheld. If your on a tight budget, you might want to wait on a cam and save up. If you have a auto car, a stall converter will be a great bang for the buck mod and took .6-.7 off my 1/4 mile times. I keep a tight budget, not so much because my wife wont let me do it, but if I try to keep up with these guys on this forum, I will go broke lol. Start from where you want the car to go later, if you make it faster, you will need other things. I started out with lid, catback, then sub frame connectors. Lower control arms, driveshaft safety loop. Then a handheld tuner, LT headers, and a 3400 stall converter. After that, I needed drag radials and tuning on the dyno to get my A/F corrrect. Cam's are nice, but get the supporting mods and let your wife take it down the track a few times, get her hooked and the $#$#$ mod budget become more alot quicker.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen many Hotcam LS1 cars on the dyno. With supporting mods they typically put down 360-370 rwhp.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry been real busy. I replied last night to the mail.

One must also ask if you need to pass emission

Quick Reply: LS1 Hot Cam