Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Hey Rookie!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*If* it ever happened to me, I'd pull out my card to the only tow company that will tow it properly (trailer) and waited with it.
But that is just me...don't want *anything* furbar due to a bad tow job.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GEARHED
*If* it ever happened to me, I'd pull out my card to the only tow company that will tow it properly (trailer) and waited with it.
But that is just me...don't want *anything* furbar due to a bad tow job.
One of my coworkers put his car in a ditch in that stuff, and couldn't get a tow truck out there. They said it would have taken 5 hours to get there.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
One of my coworkers put his car in a ditch in that stuff, and couldn't get a tow truck out there. They said it would have taken 5 hours to get there.
I would have waited 5 hours. I could never leave my car out there. I'd be calling every friend I know with a truck to pull me back onto the road or something...leaving it would just not be an option...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

No car is so precious to me that I would risk myself sitting on the side of an icy interstate with thousands of people inexperienced in driving in the snow passing by for 5 hours in freezing weather.

Am I the only one who thinks Josh made the right choice, not being accustomed to driving a powerful car in the snow, by pulling it over and leaving it rather than risking wrecking it?

It's too bad that DOT listened to their meteorologist instead of NOAA and did not take the correct measures to reduce that mess.

I like to poke fun at you all, since I have driven our Camaro in the snow and ice every winter since we got it with no problems, but I have been doing it for years. My first car was like skis in the snow, so I had to learn quick ... reality is, I so feel for you guys over there ... it is one thing for people who are used to driving in it to deal with that kind of mess ... a completely different story for people who are not.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD95Z
I would have waited 5 hours. I could never leave my car out there. I'd be calling every friend I know with a truck to pull me back onto the road or something...leaving it would just not be an option...
And I would come get you Steph!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mark that would only be if there was not a Ford Drag team car to toe
Old 11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I'd probably have to post first just to make sure....
Old 11-29-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NautyAngel
No car is so precious to me that I would risk myself sitting on the side of an icy interstate with thousands of people inexperienced in driving in the snow passing by for 5 hours in freezing weather.

Am I the only one who thinks Josh made the right choice, not being accustomed to driving a powerful car in the snow, by pulling it over and leaving it rather than risking wrecking it?

It's too bad that DOT listened to their meteorologist instead of NOAA and did not take the correct measures to reduce that mess.

I like to poke fun at you all, since I have driven our Camaro in the snow and ice every winter since we got it with no problems, but I have been doing it for years. My first car was like skis in the snow, so I had to learn quick ... reality is, I so feel for you guys over there ... it is one thing for people who are used to driving in it to deal with that kind of mess ... a completely different story for people who are not.
Josh did the right thing for him. That was his choice.. mine would be different...

I'd rather sit inside my car and risk getting hit than walk along the hwy and get run over by all the other idiot drivers out there...They just showed a guy on the news that will probably lose both legs because he got out of his car to walk and was hit by another driver.

Our DOT is another thing all together...I don't know what they were thinking or why they weren't sanding the roads when they should have been...Maybe they are in cahoots with the tow guys and the cops...$$$

Thanks Mark! I would rescue you also! Actually any of you guys if you needed help and I could help you....
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

You know... you would think the ******* DOT or Local news would exaggerate the highway driving conditions as means to keep people safe at home and reduce the amount of collisions and fatality's. Or at LEAST by some measure SAY IT LIKE IT IS. There were hundreds of people who just set out driving like a normal day because they weren't properly warned or simply thought the roads were safe enough to be driven on given the news they received. bleh.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

See when I left and for most of the day it was bare and wet, fine conditions for driving hell when I was in ballard there was hardly any snow at all to be seen. I left ballard at 4pm, I went down to lake city to stop by a friends work to check some stuff out but by then it'd started to hail so I axed that plan and started heading to the freeway down 145th. By 145th and 15th it was starting to put a fine layer on the road... 500' later it was 2" thick and was getting slippery with the lil bit of rain mixed in. I made it down the offramp just fine but then some idiots decided to stop and I couldn't get started again even rocking back and forth, traction control was on and everything but by then it'd already dropped enough to make it hell and I couldn't get going. I tried for 45 minutes but failed. so I decided to leave it knowing that it'd be forever for AAA to come get it and the WSP said it was ok as long as it was on the shoulder safely parked. Which it was... it was 30-45' from the flow of traffic. I only had a 150-200yd walk off the freeway and it 85% behind a jersey barrier so I wasn't afraid of getting hit and traffic was at a dead crawl. I didn't like leaving it but I had very few options. We actually tried going back later but the traffic from the seahawks game made it impossible to reach the car so we decided to go back in the morning 15 minutes too late.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
Or at LEAST by some measure SAY IT LIKE IT IS.
Snippet from Bellingham forcast on weather.com:

PEOPLE IN THE WARNING AREA SHOULD EXPECT TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...DRIVE WITH EXTRA CAUTION AS ROADS WILL BE ICY OR SNOW- PACKED.

I like how they use the word treacherous, and in all capitols, they mean business. Translation: "IF YOU DRIVE, YOU ARE FUCKED, THAT IS ALL."
Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD95Z
Well, one of my cars.. yeah. I'd stay there with it.

This dude's car was a Honda Civic he paid $100 for.... so he didn't really care all that much about having to leave it. He got it towed home that night.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So where was this monster storm we were supposed to get? It sprinkled us with a little snow last night and then melted away?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

This is dangerous territory but after the snow with lighting storm in the late 90's that had *everyone* really stranded for days, govenor would have the trucks out at the slightest hint of bad weather. Kinda says something for who is in office now

I was set then to stay with the truck if need be. I am set with any vehicle I drive, a 5 hour wait is no problem compared to $$$$ in damage from a bad tow.

of course you all say us wimmin are crazy anyway
Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tylerb59

Those "BASTARDS"!!!!!!!!!!! ............................They got kenny!.............. OH Man will those "freeken vultures" charge an arm and a leg for this stuff If you just watch them they are going as fast as they possibly can just get back on the road and "hook up" again! I had a tow truck pulling a car cut me off like he was driving a sports car just today I was pissed untill he cut off another car in the other lane and just spead off zig zaging the car looked like It was going to let go a couple of times!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, sorry to see your car towed but you did do the right thing, i was lucky enough to catch the first snow going thru the mountain pass in idaho. I had no choice but to leave my car on the side of the interstate an get a hotel for the night, man i was so worried someone was gonna plow into my car but i got it back okay, Fbods and snow definitely don't mix