Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

court date today

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default court date today

well i go to court for my speeding ticket today i have jeannie representing me so hopefully she can get the ticket cleared if not might have to sell my car because insurance will be to high. wish me luck guys and gals
Old 12-26-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

So what's the verdict??
Old 12-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

dismissed due to lack of evidence thank you jeannie
Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98LS1Boy
dismissed due to lack of evidence thank you jeannie
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Just former professional curiousity........did the cop not show or did he not have the calibration from the radar or not have the vehicle calibration or what? Just curious what constitutes "lack of evidence" around here.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

the cop didnt have to show because jeannie didnt subpena him but they ruled that because he got me in motion there was no way to show that his radar gun was recieving the proper speed from his vehicle since his spedo hadnt been calibrated. although ther were 2 cases dismised due to calibration not being done on the gun and 4 more cases dismissed because they subpenad a radar expert but he didnt show.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

That is weird.....never heard of the Court NOT subpoenaing the Officer for a traffic violation that he/she wrote. Stuff must be reallllllly different up here. :\
Old 01-01-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Its just a numbers game really - for those that don't show up in court they are writing 10x more tickets of people that will just pay the fine or try to fight it without doing research. The few that do have theirs dismissed are so miniscule compared to the ones that are legit outweigh a day out for a court hearing.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Score another win for Jeannie. Congrats.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

That's kina weird, There is no input to the radar unit from the cars speedo.
The radar unit provides it's own reference when it's moving all the time.
There are two positions.
Stationary and moving. Moving position will provide an accurate reading of another car while the police car is in motion.
I know this to be true because I service radar equipment and own two Kustom Signal X Band radar units.
They only need calabration using a tuning fork and you're good to go.
If you got off, you're lucky. I'm sure glad you don't have to sell your wheels.
DT
Attached Thumbnails court date today-picture-145.jpg   court date today-picture-270.jpg  
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rottluver
That is weird.....never heard of the Court NOT subpoenaing the Officer for a traffic violation that he/she wrote. Stuff must be reallllllly different up here. :\
Very rarely do they supeno the officer up here. I had one show up for a no front plate violation but any other of my other tickets they've never shown up. Unless you supeno them they basically won't show, and aren't required as their written statement counts as "facing you accuser" or whatever it would be.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

well what happens is if the officer shows up to the court they are required to pay a minimum of 4 hours of o.t. to the officer. now what really sucks is if you are found guilty i belive you are required to pay the court fees which will include the officers o.t.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98LS1Boy
well what happens is if the officer shows up to the court they are required to pay a minimum of 4 hours of o.t. to the officer. now what really sucks is if you are found guilty i belive you are required to pay the court fees which will include the officers o.t.
Didn't work that way for me... I had to pay the basic fine for no front plate, nothing more.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Its just a numbers game really - for those that don't show up in court they are writing 10x more tickets of people that will just pay the fine or try to fight it without doing research. The few that do have theirs dismissed are so miniscule compared to the ones that are legit outweigh a day out for a court hearing.
The last time I went to court it amazed me at how willing they were to just move whatever the ticket was for to a non-moving violation so insurance rates weren't tacked on and they would add a extra $10 for paperwork. All they are looking for is the money. I know of plenty of people that will get a ticket and within the first three days they are at the courthouse paying the full effect, unless they ask about going to court or a reduction, they will drop it 1/3 there at the window.

Also as mentioned the written testimony of the officer is virtually him being there. You can subpeona for them to be there but they aren't required, I guess in some of the other states, if you ask for them to show and they don't, the ticket is thrown out. WA state also doesn't use a point system like other states, it is just on the record. I think insurance companies have to check your record to find information about tickets you receive, they didn't realize the tickets I had until my dad rear-ended someone and they sent us a letter basically saying slow down or they would have to drop me or the car off the policy. That was almost three years ago now though.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

In Oregon, if the police officer that wrote you the ticket does not show then your case can be dismissed. I've noticed if you **** off someone right away they will set a "rescheduled" court date--this happened to a mexican who tried pulling a "I dont speak english there for I am not accountable for my actions" and the Judge went nuts. Lucky I was done just before this so the judge couldn't save some rage for me !

Like someone said, it's all money. Half the time if you ask to just pay the fine in full but request that they remove the actual moving violation into something that doesn't show up to insurance.. they will.

The other nice thing about Oregon is they don't send your first ticket to insurance unless you get another in the next 3 years? Someone may need to correct me on this but so far this is how it is working out for me.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Different strokes for different States I reckon......we were required to be there if the defendent fought the ticket, and the Court subpoenaed us automatically......and we got a mandatory minimum 3 hours of OT regardless of how long we were there. Sucks to be the cops up here I reckon.........it's good to be retired.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GEARHED
This is MUCH closer to the truth than most people would believe, The currant system isnt about bad people breaking the good law so much as good laws not being inforced and actually being Ignored by the munisipalitys (Impeading, slower traffic keep right,....ect, ect) becouse anyone trying to nigotiate these bastards, who are "Impowering themselfs" by making the world around them suffer are made to pay for bullshit citations like "excesive lane change",.....(what a joke) and the REAL proublums like "meth labs B&Es ect. ect go unchallanged by leos as their all sooooo busy "creative revenue" manufacturing by chasing young men arround and poping them for "10 over"
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vetred
This is MUCH closer to the truth than most people would believe, The currant system isnt about bad people breaking the good law so much as good laws not being inforced and actually being Ignored by the munisipalitys (Impeading, slower traffic keep right,....ect, ect) becouse anyone trying to nigotiate these bastards, who are "Impowering themselfs" by making the world around them suffer are made to pay for bullshit citations like "excesive lane change",.....(what a joke) and the REAL proublums like "meth labs B&Es ect. ect go unchallanged by leos as their all sooooo busy "creative revenue" manufacturing by chasing young men arround and poping them for "10 over"
That's all well and good but the so-called revenue obtained from a citation is usualy under 12% of the fine so it isn't like the Municipalities are raking in the dough. now as for looking for meth labs or whatever other sort of crime traffic offenders would prefer cops deal with, try to remember that there are these little things called "traffic divisions" at any decent sized agency and their ONLY job is to enforce traffic laws.

And for the record, do you have ANY idea how difficult it is to just randomly "catch" a burglar in the process of breaking in or out of someplace? Less then 1% of burglars are actually just randomly caught without some help from citizens calling in or alarms going off....otherwise there is maybe a 20 second window (total) of them coming and going in or out of the place they broke into. I am just saying.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vetred
Though comparing apples to apples would be a better idea - it usually takes years and hundreds of man hours to bust a meth lab then the court fees go sky high from there.

There is one thing in this state about tickets you did mention that a Judge once said: "good laws not being enforced (properly)". As it is, most tickets are not written for the actual violation or have the correct information witten on the ticket. Time and time again I've called WSP for a trooper who is trying to park off the freeway to catch a speeder - with no lights on and in a spot where it is a traffic hazard. The law does state the car not be a hazard nor positioned as to be construed as "entrapment" (though I'm sure that one will be argued to death) so it does bother me that part of the law is being ignored if not broken just to hand out a moving violation.

There are many other instances, least of all the drivers that play "lane police" of which you never hear about getting a ticket yet what they are doing is illegal

Quick Reply: court date today