Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

03 Cobra Vs 05 GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007 | 06:49 PM
Launching!

Turbo and Tyler, thanks for the kind words..

Ken
Old 01-06-2007 | 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

nice to hear from you ken,

sounds like Ryan and I are doing your cars well...

as far as U and I,
I'm pretty sure I've gone faster than you (so far) 13.002 @ 106.6 1.86 60' (on 400 tw street tires)

now, there's a small cam, Long tube headers, and she should be getting a little happy juice next week.

throw that slobra on the trailer, tow her out with the "L" and let's have some fun.
Old 01-06-2007 | 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

BTW,

glad to see the pic with all 3,

looks great, that's definately the best color (IMO)

when does your track open?

ours opens feb 4th
Old 01-06-2007 | 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

I think Charlie and Tyler will confess their Fords saw more shop time and their dalies saw more drag time in the last two years than any of the Chevys at PR or Bremerton because of broken this or that.

Welcome to the board.

PS: I'm a big neck talker because I am not allowed to run my bird at the track.
Old 01-06-2007 | 02:23 AM
10 Second Club

Do not get me wrong I LOVE the look of the new Mustang...but work on FAR more fords then Chevy's on a regular basis

If they wouls actually put a good engine in the damn Mustang......The wife would be driving a Roush

BTW did they mjention we support the Ford Drag team? We tow them home evey chance we get
Old 01-06-2007 | 03:20 AM
Banned

Ouch!
Old 01-06-2007 | 07:54 AM
Launching!

Hey Russel, yep, you currently have a better time logged but I plan on changing that.

Both my road course (summit point) and my 1/4 mile track open in March. I guess they think we should still be having winter at that time. Although we are 71 and sunny today, go figure.

I need to get a newer pic of the three as they were dirty in that one and now I have FR500's on the COBRA.

I happen to like the engine they put in this mustang, and feel the engine in the Shelby is prolly pretty good too.

BTW, we support the Chebby drag team out here. I would recommend you at least shave the legs and beards before entering the "drag contest"
Old 01-06-2007 | 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

I too hope to get the goat out onto the "Road course" over here at Pacific Raceway, maybe Portland also..

but I gotta save up the cash and take the driving class.

that's where I think the GTO (and the Cobra) should do really well.
Old 01-06-2007 | 01:28 PM
Banned

I dont know, the Cobra I tore a new hole in last summer didnt do so well on the road.
Old 01-06-2007 | 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Do not get me wrong I LOVE the look of the new Mustang...but work on FAR more fords then Chevy's on a regular basis

If they wouls actually put a good engine in the damn Mustang......The wife would be driving a Roush

BTW did they mjention we support the Ford Drag team? We tow them home evey chance we get
Ya that GT500 engine SUCKS!! But kinda spendy at the moment.
Old 01-06-2007 | 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anything with a blower can be fast...as long as it dosen't overheat...
Old 01-06-2007 | 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

You know the funny Part Ken? I was serious and not kidding. Just ask them

And yes IF ford EVER put a good engine in they would be great. Blowers are very cool but why not put them on some cubes and knock out the competion? The 500 is here and a 650hp 6.0L LSx is coming. Hard to compare a $150k Ford GT to a $80 Corvette when the Corvette is kicking its *** and not even breathing hard.

To be clear most of you know I am not bashing just placing the facts on the table. This is THE main reason Steph is not driving a Rousch Mustang. It was very tempting when Moira was there at the dealer but no power suck no mater how hot the car looks.
Old 01-06-2007 | 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Modular motor is fine but is not Fords best thing, the N/A ones are weak and do not perform as the well at the LSx based motors.
Ford has the capability to do better. I suppose they don't have to though if they sell enough V-6 cars to keep them going.
I am sure I will get the F-150 out sells the Chevy 1/2 ton, this is true, but ford does not out sell GM half ton trucks. That would be Chevy and GMC combined.
Old 01-06-2007 | 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
To be clear most of you know I am not bashing just placing the facts on the table. This is THE main reason Steph is not driving a Rousch Mustang. It was very tempting when Moira was there at the dealer but no power suck no mater how hot the car looks.
+1 on that Ellis. I organized a cruise through the Jemez Mtns a year ago here. There's about a 30 mile straight you have to take to get to the mountains, and I had several mustangs, 2 of them were supercharged, one Saleen and one Roush. I'll be damned if my stupid Hotcammed LT1 easily hung w/ both of 'em on a couple highway runs.
Old 01-06-2007 | 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Well I guess I look at it differently. For one, I wasnt talking Ford GT or Z06. I was talking mustang. And the GT500 engine is very impressive by OEM standards just as much as the LS7. They both have impressive factory hp with a warranty. Only the truely biased to one side would say "well such and such has more cubes" or "such and such has a blower".
Who cares how the company chose to make the power. The point is they made it. And in most cases they made that kind of power with enough strength to allow us hot rodders to extract more from them without sacrificing reliabilty.

And Ellis, we have had this dispute before. The Z06 is far from kicking the GTs *** in anything but performance/dollar. In that the Z06 is in a league of its own. Much like the mustang has been for the last 2 years.
Old 01-06-2007 | 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Mustang has only been there for the last two years because of the Cobra, A new GT still can't out run my "Crappy" 7 year old WS6. It took Ford a long time to catch up after 1993.
Who cares that it isn't made anymore. Still gets better gas mileage and out runs an 06 GT.
Old 01-07-2007 | 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbo50
Well I guess I look at it differently. For one, I wasnt talking Ford GT or Z06. I was talking mustang. And the GT500 engine is very impressive by OEM standards just as much as the LS7. They both have impressive factory hp with a warranty. Only the truely biased to one side would say "well such and such has more cubes" or "such and such has a blower".
Who cares how the company chose to make the power. The point is they made it. And in most cases they made that kind of power with enough strength to allow us hot rodders to extract more from them without sacrificing reliabilty.

And Ellis, we have had this dispute before. The Z06 is far from kicking the GTs *** in anything but performance/dollar. In that the Z06 is in a league of its own. Much like the mustang has been for the last 2 years.

Hehe No you and I actually have not the GT is a good machine and they are going to...oh wait much like the Camaro they are stopping production on them

I say Drive them Lets face it more cubic inches boost for boost will still come out on top. The modular Engine is a great Idea but ford insists on crippling it with a lack of cubic inch's and STILL has a hard time getting it through emmisions(sp) and CAFE ratings. It has been what 15 years or more in the making? The Lincoln and Crown vic? I will not pretend to understand why they are not making good on there end product but short of the Blower versions they have not shined like they should.

Many know I starte dwith Fords and made they swap years ago in Fords hey day of the late 80s. I will be the first to admit if you moved the pedles and fixed the screwed up shifter position I would rather drive a Cobra day to day. Then again they are still fairly expensive and it seems some of the tuning issues have not been addressed by the after market yet. Maybe they need an after maket EMS i am not sure. I have driven five or six of the faster Cobras out here so I do have an idea. Right now the best comparison would be to a 05-06 N/A GTO.

The GTO is just as nice to drive and gets fairly good MPG for daily commuting. Price is much cheaper and dollar for dollar in mods The GTO should come up even of even on top. For over all package you could add pistons to a stok LS2 along with a blower and have na fairly mellow daily driven 9-10second ride. Both have simular drive train issues so no win on either side there.

Over all GMs engineers shoved the point across. a much simpler easer to work on and produce power plant can be more efficent and reliable making the power needed.

I feel If Ford had traveled the same road I might be more enclined to purchase one.

I think one of Fords better moves was the joint efforts on transmissions. I have not checked in on it lately it might be gone for all I know but they were wroking to gether to come to market with 10 shared six speed automatic transmissions. One of Fords problems with coming to market with the 100K drive train warranty was the transmissions coming up short in to big a number.

Everyone bashed the hell out of the Allison when it came out about how they were not a 'Real" truck transmission. We have yet to see one in either of the shops I have been at. YES they have had some issues. every new transmission does. they have by FAR been out lasting the Dodge AND ford transmissions! We do get 4L60Es but not in near the number we get 47-48REs, E4ODs, AODs, 4R70Ws 5R55E,S,Ns and 5R110s

I guess Over all you can just call me a trator I started with Ford and jumped ship to GMs. Like any other choice it was mine to make and I just took pride and prejudice out of it
Old 01-07-2007 | 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

Well the GT was never intended to be a long production run so I will leave that at that.
As far as the mod motors not delivering Im not so sure. I think we as enthusiasts expect performance but, Ford being a business its main concern is sales. And history tells us that he with the highest hp does not always win (Toyota). And their issues with CAFE stem more from too many truck and SUV sales and not enough economy car sales to help bring their overall yearly mpg and emission averages down.
Now when you say the GTO and Cobra are even or the GTO would even be on top I dont know. The GTO has a superior chassis, on this I wont dispute. But there are not very many GTOs out there with 600 rwhp vs Cobras. The reason for this is the Cobra comes from the factory with a hell-for-stout engine built to swallow up 20 psi of boost and make that kind of power reliably where as the GTO does not. The average guy isnt going to want to go through the trouble to have an engine built up for a blower. But if a blower swap will get you that kind of power, thats a different story for that same average guy.
Dont get me wrong I like the GTO. I have driven a couple of them and they are excellent driving cars. I saw a Brazen Orange 06 the other day and it looked freakin sweet.
As far as you jumping ship it really doesnt matter. You chose what you enjoyed and thats what matters. I tend to think Im not really on a ship myself. Theres just too many cool ships out there to only experience one of them.
BTW, Ford auto tranny's do kinda suck.
Old 01-07-2007 | 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbo50
Theres just too many cool ships out there to only experience one of them.
I'm 100% in agreement here.

I've owned cars from Toyota, Honda, GM and Ford. I currently own 2 Fords and my GTO. My Fords and GMs have all been more reliable than my two Jap cars were...and except for the GTO they got better mileage too.
Old 01-07-2007 | 04:32 AM
11 Second Club

I miss my car....

waiting on the last of the n2o parts.
(at least I know she's in good hands)