Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Who's car is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only ever had one T-Top Did not work out so well for the car...
Old 02-14-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I only ever had one T-Top Did not work out so well for the car...
Was it a factory T-top or did you make it that way
Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

That must be about the rarest combo of all 4th gens. I've only seen 1 other SOM SS.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
That must be about the rarest combo of all 4th gens. I've only seen 1 other SOM SS.
They actually made about 400 of them in 2001, and over 1500 of them in 2002. Not all that rare at all. I think I know half a dozen people with a SOM SS.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
They actually made about 400 of them in 2001, and over 1500 of them in 2002. Not all that rare at all. I think I know half a dozen people with a SOM SS.

479 SOM SS in 2001. When you factor in the MN6 and hardtop it drops to about 1 out of 30. This is based on multiplying %'s since there is no specific breakdown by options.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn hot color is what it is!!
I should have given deeper thought to switching to it.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by My1st Truck

You can see his car in the background, the white car is my old 01 Z28.
The car behind his is my '99 Trans Am.

In fact, I think that was it's "farewell" trip down the drag strip.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by NW94Z
479 SOM SS in 2001. When you factor in the MN6 and hardtop it drops to about 1 out of 30. This is based on multiplying %'s since there is no specific breakdown by options.
When did you get a Solstice GXP?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Teching In

When did you get a Solstice GXP?
Took delivery 1/27. Placed our order in April the day pricing was released and orders would be accepted by GM. Still not broken in yet but that doesn't mean I haven't been playing with the boost.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Took delivery 1/27. Placed our order in April the day pricing was released and orders would be accepted by GM. Still not broken in yet but that doesn't mean I haven't been playing with the boost.
Sweet, man.. you've got quite a nice stable now. How do you like it? I think if they made a hardtop version I'd be all over it.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Was it a factory T-top or did you make it that way
He turned it into a Compact car

Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Sweet, man.. you've got quite a nice stable now. How do you like it? I think if they made a hardtop version I'd be all over it.
Hard top version is coming. What's not known is if it will be on the current platform or the next.

"How do you like it?"

This is a difficult question to answer right now. For starters I've only driven it twice (weather). 90+% of my driving experience has been with V8's. Lot's of torque early in the power band, strong pull to redline, power is there consistently when I want it. The GXP doesn't feel like a V8 which it's not or an I4 which it is. It doesn't even feel like a V6. Maybe it's my lack of experience with a turbo. Putting around town it pulls effortlessly and as soon as you begin to lay into the peddle the power comes in a rush pretty quick. It doesn't have that plant your *** in the seat torque feel but it just pulls you along with ease at an increasing rate. Kind of like a steady increasing HP pull once your moving in a V8 but it never feels heavy. By heavy I'm trying to say it's not like nearing the end of a 1/4 mile run with the engine screaming and the car brutally pushing a wall of air out front as you will it on. It feels quick but light on it's feet. Redline comes fast in the first couple of gears and the next thing you know you've turned into cop bait.

The suspension is wonderful. The ride is very firm for a roadster much more in line with how a sportscar behaves. It's soaks up the bumps well but you feel most everything through the chassis. It's a nice feeling, very connected to the road. The coil overs and a-arms at each corner are almost as attractive as the car itself IMO. Tires are average but there are better options available. I still haven't pushed real hard in the turns yet. I haven't developed the confidence I need to test the active handling. Turn in is faster and more responsive than the Z06 though. I think the narrower front tires have a lot to do with this.

Build quality is impressive to me at least. Better than any of the other cars I have. Exterior and interior panel gaps are tight and consistent. I've tried to hear anything outside the norm but I haven't picked anything up yet. If the Vette felt like this I would keep it forever. Another item that is unusual is the engine noise through the firewall. Being a direct injection engine the injectors make a lot of noise. Think of it as a loud, deep ticking that rises and falls with the RPM's. Ergonomics aren't great for some items like two of the cup holders, the window switches and the belt can be difficult to grab once you've got in. I prefer the Sky interior and think a GXP with the Sky interior would be the best combination for the Kappa cars.

Looks are entirely subjective. The revised front fascia and dual exhaust tips help minimize the softer more feminine look of the regular Sol. I'd say it's looks are neutral now. Otherwise I regard it's simple, classic shape timeless.

Definitely look forward to some dry weather.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:57 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Sounds pretty fun to me... my biggest gripe with the Solstice is the lack of interior storage space.... hell, in general there isn't a lot, especially if the top is down.

What color did you get? "Envious" would be my choice.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahaha I cant even fit into that damn thing. Not even close I need to break my legs off at the knees and then maybe.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Sounds pretty fun to me... my biggest gripe with the Solstice is the lack of interior storage space.... hell, in general there isn't a lot, especially if the top is down.

What color did you get? "Envious" would be my choice.
Everyone's biggest gripe with the Solstice is the lack of interior storage space. With the top up the trunk will hold enough, to include a fullsize set of golf clubs. With the top down you lose most of the room but there is still enough to pack away a couple of bags for a weekend type trip. The lack of space is more an issue IMO in the cab. A glove box and one other storage bin are it.

The biggest problem I see is people expecting to much out of the car. Bottom line, it is not a practical vehicle. It was not designed to be a practical vehicle. If you want to haul people, groceries, etc... get an SUV or a 4 door etc... The solstice is ideally a supplemental car to your standard stable of vehicles. A weekend/ fair weather car, "reward" car as some call it. This doesn't mean many don't use it as a DD or it's their only vehicle. It also comes down to what degree you define practical. I have six vehicles right now and not one of them is practical in the most basic sense.

For what it is I have zero complaints. I actually expected there to be some quality issues based on following the cars rollout since production began on the forums. Leaking diffs, and tops, panel alignments etc... Of course it's the whole squeaky wheel thing. Most of what you see are the problems and complaints being posted. The majority of people with no problems don't post. So far the car is perfect, but so too have the SS and the Vette been.

Color came down to "Deep" or "Mysterious". The car is actually Lauries and she ended going with "Mysterious". Helps add to the more aggressive look of the GXP. First order of business the first week was to apply multiple coats of Zaino to protect the paint. Black is a complete love/ hate thing for me.