Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anybody using Vonage or something similar? Do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody using Vonage or something similar? Do you like it?

They have a good deal, it makes me wanna dump Qwest for telephone. We have Comcast broadband to run it. Does it work good?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Have had it for over a year. So far no problems at all. We pay something like $20 a month for 500 minutes. This phone is a supplement to our cell phones and an alternative number for people to reach us at if we don't have our cell phones on us. For this reason the 500 min lasts a month. The only issue is the use of the phone for 911 calls. It takes longer for the phone to be traced for sending emergency services. We use ours through our Comcast internet connection as well. Comcast also calls about once every two months asking if we would like to switch over to their phone service for $40 but we keep declining.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, you lose service in a power outage. Only an old fashioned land line phone will work when power goes out. I seem to recall this being an issue more than once this year.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I have had Vonage for over three years and love it. I have their premium Package and it works perfect. Like Crisisman said if you lose your internet connection or power the phone will go out but other than that it works perfectly. There are cheaper services int he VoIP communty but I love the feature you get witht he Vonage service. You can check messages from a computer anywhere, through their website which is very helpful.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Also, you lose service in a power outage. Only an old fashioned land line phone will work when power goes out. I seem to recall this being an issue more than once this year.
Old fashioned as in, NOT a cordless........realized this year that I needed a corded phone after the numerous outages this year.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

I have skype, but only the free service, I don't use it much yet. I just cut off my land line, switched from DSL to clearwire.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Vonage or something similar? Do you like it?