Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
CCCA rules yes it says from 2004

CCCA 2004 Race Rules
No alcohol consumption by participants.
Permanent number required to compete
Staging lanes are closed when first car crosses the line at the front of the staging lanes.
If there is a bye in a round, then the racer with the better reaction time in the previous round will receive the bye run
Races completed through the quarter-finals, that are canceled, by rain or curfew may be decided on reaction time from quarter-finals
NHRA "Street Legal" cars or trucks only (no motorcycles)
DOT approved tires required (Bare cords not permitted)
Exhaust must route through mufflers
No Electronics (per NHRA definition) And no G-tech timing devices.
Transmission brakes, two-steps and line-locks okay
Only racers of CCCA member car clubs may receive trophies
Current NHRA and track safety rules apply at all times
Vehicles must be registered for street use in any state or province (No trip permits) and registration must match the ven# of that vehicle.
No cars faster than 10.00 or above 135 MPH
Any rules disputes are to be handled by the Race Director and representatives from at least 3 member clubs.
The Race Director may exclude racers in violation of CCCA, NHRA or Track safety rules.
36" crank height applies (No Monster Trucks Please)
So if ya go faster than 10.00 or 135 your disqualified, damn, oh well don't have to worry about that anyway, yet? Who's the Race Director?
Robert
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
So if ya go faster than 10.00 or 135 your disqualified, damn, oh well don't have to worry about that anyway, yet? Who's the Race Director?
Robert
Mark is RD I think
Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem running 9 second cars. they just have to run 10s and under 135 on CCCA race day

BTW we have TWO race Directors now.. Catch up!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I think it's a terrible idea, and that you're in the wrong series. Like I said in the other thread, not everyone wants a 10 second car, and you can't expect people with classic / rare cars to want to mod them. It's almost like you want to change the rules so you specifically score more points.

I don't see any reason why I should score less points just because I have a slower car. I have no plans to make it any faster than low 12's N/A.. don't wanna put a cage in it... why should I get less points because of that?
Well the fastest team would have the potential to win more points. I guess you are right, that probably is the Ford Team..:
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by esoteric
Well the fastest team would have the potential to win more points. I guess you are right, that probably is the Ford Team..:
Yep, lots of fast Fords out at the track, hoo boy. It sure is a good thing the F-body folks with 10 second cars bring trailers to make sure those fast 11 second Fords make it home.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing the Ford team is the fastest at is getting themselves eliminated from the rounds. You can outnumber us two to one but we still score as many points... The Ford team was spectating for the semi final on Saturday.

Maybe if you wanna score more points you should work on not getting eliminated instead of trying to figure out some crazy way to get the points you're currently giving to us. We got 50% or better of our team through every round... how about the Fords?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
The only thing the Ford team is the fastest at is getting themselves eliminated from the rounds. You can outnumber us two to one but we still score as many points... The Ford team was spectating for the semi final on Saturday.

Maybe if you wanna score more points you should work on not getting eliminated instead of trying to figure out some crazy way to get the points you're currently giving to us. We got 50% or better of our team through every round... how about the Fords?

All right all right, so we suck. I get it. We still had a good time. And ya know, you cant fault a guy for throwing out an idea.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I would be for getting 4 points if I beat a 10 second car with my 13.8 sec car.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tranzor
Yep, lots of fast Fords out at the track, hoo boy. It sure is a good thing the F-body folks with 10 second cars bring trailers to make sure those fast 11 second Fords make it home.

The CCA Champions can afford to be magnanimous, so I will not address the comment directed at my team, although you are providing some additonal motivation for us...

It looks like you may have figured-out that my suggestion does not actually serve the best interests of my particular team. The whole concept (and it was a concept with a few examples to illustrate how it could apply) was to encourage racers to make their cars faster. When an 18 second pickup is a more effective bracket racing vehicle than a 10 second car, it may be time to think outside the box. Having a better competition benefits everyone, at the end of the day. I doubt anything will come of my suggestion, -just too radical. I still think it is a good idea because it rewards faster cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tails
I would be for getting 4 points if I beat a 10 second car with my 13.8 sec car.

You probably wouldn't be racing against a 10 second car in the first place and that should make the competition a little better.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car runs on the motor, no power adder, and it drives to the track. Apples to apples, please.

If implemented, my suggestion might keep a team like yours from being taken out the competition when it goes for speed, like occurred last year.

Last edited by esoteric; 05-08-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by turbo50
All right all right, so we suck. I get it. We still had a good time. And ya know, you cant fault a guy for throwing out an idea.
Attacking the idea was requested, personal attacks are a little off base, but I've heard worse.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by turbo50
Still, the numbers win the day -- 20% of 100 is more than 50% of 35 in a round (plus the points just for showing!)

It's an idea, but could use some tweaking to be viable. I think Tails was hitting on something -- extra point for beating someone that had an advantage over you.. Perhaps an "upset" (defeating someone 10 spots or higher in the individual points standings) or beating a vehicle that is 4+ seconds faster than you. (Even if the faster cars aren't "consistent" they can bag and fender race very easily with the extra power).
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
teh PuRpL3z

The CCA Champions can afford to be magnanimous, so I will not address the comment directed at my team, although you are providing some additonal motivation for us...
That's kind of the idea, bud.

You're not the CCA Champions because of your race wins... you're CCC Champions because you can get everyone and their brother with a Ford to the track. You're not faster, you just have more racers. If we had 30+ cars showing up, and kept our win percentages at the same level, it would be a bloodbath - we've already done that before.

If saying things like this is what motivates you to put together a team that wins the actual races as often as our guys do, that's the least I can do to help you improve. Set a personal goal for your team to get 50% of your racers through each round, and see how you do. Hell, just sit down and calculate out your racers-to-wins ratio sometime... and then compare.

I look at it as tighter competition, which makes for better opponents to race against. I'd much rather win a race by a hundreth of a second than by 2 tenths.

I say bring it. Come kick my *** this year on the track. Send me out in the first round every week. I dare you.

I have no intention of making it easy.

It looks like you may have figured-out that my suggestion does not actually serve the best interests of my particular team. The whole concept (and it was a concept with a few examples to illustrate how it could apply) was to encourage racers to make their cars faster. When an 18 second pickup is a more effective bracket racing vehicle than a 10 second car, it may be time to think outside the box. Having a better competition benefits everyone, at the end of the day. I doubt anything will come of my suggestion, -just too radical. I still think it is a good idea because it rewards faster cars.
An 18 second car isn't more effective in the brackets than a 10 second car.... No way, no how. Personally, I think you just need to approach the way you look at races differently.

All the 10 second car driver needs to do is kill at the tree and learn to use sandbagging to their advantage in order to compensate for fluctuating times. Then all they gotta do is launch right and fender race. It's complete cake. Driving the faster car is ALWAYS EASIER and GIVES YOU THE ADVANTAGE because you can fender race anyone... Try sandbagging in a 16 second car when an 11.0 car is running you down sometime. It's damn near impossible... but if you're the one in the 11 second car... it's a cakewalk. You know you can always out accellerate the other car, and take easy wins. Only reason I don't do it is because I don't want to spend the time or the money it would take to make a 10 second car be able to make it through every race all season long.

Just dial in what your car will run on the absolute WORST pass, and then fender race people. If I knew I was always going to be faster than my opponent, I'd probably be unstoppable in the brackets. I could not really care less whether I was running my car all out or not.. all I care about is doing what it takes to win the round. It's okay to use the brake pedal in a bracket race.

Currently my 12 second car is more consistent than my 14 second car, or my 16 second truck, or my 17 second Subaru, or the 19-second rental Cavalier was... and it will be just as consistent as I continue to make it faster. The E/T of the car is not what makes it consistent.

I dunno man.. if you insist on driving a manual transmission 10 second car in the bracket and running it full out every race in a bracket were 10s are king... I'd say you should probably just get used to not winning.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 05-08-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:11 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Attacking the idea was requested, personal attacks are a little off base, but I've heard worse.
I think you need to learn to separate personal attacks from a little ball busting / smack talk...

You want to make this interesting, let's give out a trophy this season for the team with the greatest points-to-competitors ratio... that one won't matter how many members are on the team.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 05-08-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you're missing the point of bracket racing... it's about the racer, and knowledge of the car, track, tree, conditions, etc. Much more intricate and difficult than who spends the most money to go the fastest... makes it so anyone can drive anything and still win if they get good at those variables... When we start rewarding people for speed, people will use that as their crutch for not being good at actual racing.

Being good at actual racing is so much more than which car is better/faster... Even if I was driving a completely prepped bracket car, guys like Kenny O'Keefe, Bill Sallia, Don Berry, etc. would whip my *** at the track most days no matter what they were driving... because they're good racers, and I still have a lot to learn, and still need to keep practicing. That's what makes bracket racing a good, fair way to race... it's all about the driver, and every driver can work at getting better if they really want to.

Also... don't think we're attacking you guys personally. It's all in good fun, talking **** and all that. For instance, I know my car is slow as **** and ******' turquoise of all colors, so it's not like anyone saying anything about my ride won't be anything I don't already know.

I like all the Ford guys I've talked to, you all are a good bunch, and you get a lot of guys to show up and race... and the way we have the point scoring, that's a huge advantage. Isn't anyone's fault, we should be getting more people to come out and race as well so we can give you guys a run for the title... so that's our bad on the NW F-Body side.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

I think you're missing the point of bracket racing... it's about the racer, and knowledge of the car, track, tree, conditions, etc. Much more intricate and difficult than who spends the most money to go the fastest... makes it so anyone can drive anything and still win if they get good at those variables... When we start rewarding people for speed, people will use that as their crutch for not being good at actual racing.
Very well said.
10 sec. cars do have the advantage but can be beat if they don't know how to drive. It's hard enought to put on the event without adding more work for the poor race director. If you have the money for a 10 sec. car then maybe you should run Pro bracket and try to win some of that back. CCCA was ment for getting together and having fun racing just trophies no money.

Bill Sallia

Last edited by Vettestir; 05-09-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I look at the sport differently. For me, the sport (drag racing) is about making your car go quicker. So much of the work, expense, energy spent, expertise, and the key to success, occurs off the track. The driving portion is an element of success, but only an element. Since going quicker is my orientation, consistency is not of primary importance. Using that yardstick, I hope you can see why being beaten by an 18 second truck that gets a 7 second head start is inconsistent with the principles of drag racing. The truck owner has made no attempt to get his vehicle to go faster, his heavier vehicle will not spin the tires, so it requires less skill to launch, he just steps on the gas and lets the thing shift. It is a better vehicle for bracket racing than my car, but not a better drag racing vehicle. A Taurus would be a better vehicle for bracket racing, a _______ (fill in the blank) would be a better vehicle. But who wants to drive an 18 second truck if a faster car is available? As racers, don't we want to go faster -at least up to a point? We all decide how much time and money we want to commit to this sport. No matter how fast or slow you are, bracket racing allows us to compete on more or less equal terms, that's the beauty of it, but isn't the real orientation of the sport of drag racing to go quicker? I know it is for me. Bracket racing alone doesn't have a lot of appeal to me, making my car perform better does appeal to me. My idea was an attempt to reward going faster while maintaining a bracket racing format.

We are approaching this issue from very different perspectives. I was hoping to find a way to reconcile those two perspectives. My suggestion was an attempt to salvage the "go quicker" element of drag racing but still use a bracket racers format to involve more people who do not want to commit more money and time to the sport. For me, a drag racing car needs to be a street car. You might find me doing time only, but you will not find me at the track on Saturday night bracket racing. Aren't you the same? If the answer is "yes" then my suggestion should have some merit. IF your answer is "no, I'd be at the track on Saturday bracket racing" then my suggestion will have no appeal to you.

Last edited by esoteric; 05-10-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Your point is understood. From my point of view if faster is the goal then it ultimately comes down to the one with the most money wins.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tails
Your point is understood. From my point of view if faster is the goal then it ultimately comes down to the one with the most money wins.

True enough: I would qualify the statement by saying; as the person willing to spend the most money. Going fastest for the least is the key. Of course, that's why I drive a fox body But we may disagree on that....

Quick Reply: Got an idea for CCC What do you think?