Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Passed Smog

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passed Smog

I took my Vette thru smog and the plugin test failed (not enough cycles) I told the guy to put it on the rollers. It passed with flying colors. He said he can only alter the test for 96 and 97 cars only.
98 and newer have to pass the plug in test or fail. Just sharring somthing I learned today.

Bill Sallia
Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Sweet! I just found out mine has to pass next month....

Do they still have the "You must spend $xxx to fix it if you fail" rule Bill? Guess if I'll end up failing I'll be going to Randy's to have a catted y-pipe built.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

I think if it put $150.00 in it and it still won't pass you can get the test waved. You should check on that. Your car has to pass the plugin test and that failed on mine even with The special tune. You better start now or your tabs will run out like mine and it's $24 for a 3 day pass. I've been working on this crap for more then 2 weeks. The cycle test can take 2 or more weeks to clear all the codes acording to Marysville speed.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think its $240 or something you have to spend to get it fixed, coworker went through it all with his Jeep and failed. He spent the money himself and changed the carb himself (like $280) and went in and showed them the receipt and they said it had to be done by a shop specified by the state! So he had to unload another $280 for them to do some misc things and hope it passed... and it didn't. He has some pass or something he has to carry with the Jeep.

What does he mean as far as cycles go? Thought they were suppose to look for any DTC in the comp that could have been triggered? I have my catted DP stashed for my GTP when I put in a different downpipe and will probably do the same with the Y pipe on the TA if I ever move into a smog test county that does a visual, until than the tuner keeps that pesky light off!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

All they did on mine was plug in and look for codes. I had all the ones that came up selected as "non reporting" in HPTuner. I had Long Tubes an ORY and a hooker cat back when I went through.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
All they did on mine was plug in and look for codes. I had all the ones that came up selected as "non reporting" in HPTuner. I had Long Tubes an ORY and a hooker cat back when I went through.
How long did you drive it after the tune, before the smog test. I had no codes but the computer didn't have enough cycles to clear the test. I drove it for two days and a tank of gas and still didn't pass. I requested the roller test and I passed with no problems (brand new cats). He even said it was very clean.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Not sure about how long I drove it. Probably a good month or so. It's my daily driver so it gets plenty of miles.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

No codes equal a pass. Just delete the codes like Rokko....
Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
No codes equal a pass. Just delete the codes like Rokko....
They also count how many times it cycles thru the sensors. If you disconnect the battery and clear the computer. then hook it back up and drive write down to the smog station you will fail the test. There may be a way to get around the cycle thing. Does anyone know how to do this?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

At least on the newer Fbody computers (99+), setting the relevent codes as not reported will "short circuit" the tests. The tests will have nothing to test, therefore nothing "fails" and they all pass.

Not that I would do anything like that... especially for that one f$#@ing test that wouldn't complete (From reading it appears changes in barometric pressure and air temp or some crap would have to happen, so it wouldn't finish just by driving the cycles... )
Old 05-10-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is more to passing the tests then just turning off the codes.

If it does not pass all the tests it won't report OBD II tests complete there for failing. In later models like most of you have it is fairly quick. A day or two. On others it is not

no matter what you do the car will not even give a complete until X amount of key cycles
Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

If you have a handheld OBDII scanner it will tell you when all the cycles have been completed. If there are codes it'll show a red light, if there are no codes but the cycles haven't finished it'll show yellow, and when the cycles are all done and no codes the green light will come on and that's when you go get tested.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

I keep hearing about all this cycle stuff, but I'm pretty sure my tests for the AIR , EGR & Cats still say incomplete. And I set those codes 2 years ago. I'll check them again & see. Could it be that tune loading resets them everytime?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Yes Mark if you reflash your computer it will reset everything start all over. I have that code reader that I used Monday on your truck that has the smog test function you can borrow. It seems that the 96 computer takes longer then the new ones. Next time I'll test it way before my tabs are due.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

That explains it. I guess after tomorrow I better quit playing with my tune....
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Have you checked if you have any codes in memory? It's easy to check and even reset with a C5.

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

I passed my emissions test 30 minutes after I reflashed my PCM.

I tried the GM drive cycle thing and it changed nothing. All you have to do is get the HPTuners to say that the tests are completed and you will be fine.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vtec this
I passed my emissions test 30 minutes after I reflashed my PCM.

I tried the GM drive cycle thing and it changed nothing. All you have to do is get the HPTuners to say that the tests are completed and you will be fine.
Wow!!
Maybe I forgot to turn something off and it's still trying too clear. It did pass the sniff test with no problems but I'm almost stock with everything still hook up.

Last edited by Vettestir; 05-12-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I just wanted to add that it's $150 AND make some improvement on the emissions output (IE) MIL/Check Engine Light codes . If there is multiple codes you can turn ONE off and spend the minimum to get a waiver ( can only get one waiver tho) if there is only One Code, you will have to turn it off. Pre OBD II, simply dropping the numbers on HC or CO abit and spending the minimum will do it. There are things like extensions and special circumstance waivers too ( kind of a pain in most cases and can cost $$$ ) . This information is from Mathew Kwartin, Dept of Ecology, Air Quality Program here in WA.
I can get you his Office number / address info if you need it.
Hope this helps.
Doug~
Old 05-12-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

currently in monroe we dont have to do emissions tests hope that doesnt change. ~Guy

Quick Reply: Passed Smog