Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

clutch going in this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch going in this weekend

Finally I'm going to get a chance to put my new clutch in this weekend along with the rearend upgrades. I've been SO busy lately I haven't been able to do it. I don't work Fridays, so I have 3 days to do it....that should be enough time

While the car is under the knife I'm also going to finish welding the ball flange collectors to the headers (I couldn't get at the top of them), adjust the parking brake, install the line lock, and put in some new relays in the passenger side door control modules (door lock stopped working).

Hopefully I'll be able to get enough break in miles on the clutch so I can run the next CCC.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing the clutch in the drive way is lots of fun, ask me how I know. Yea it's doable but does take some time. You'll soon know why most do not do their own clutches on the Vettes.
Robert
Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know i'm in for a treat.

I'm doing it in the garage
Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an update from day 1:

Got the rear cradle/tranny/diff/torque tube out. Had to remove the headers to do that. Also installed the new master cylinder That part only took me about 5 hrs.

Then I began the upgrade on the rear diff, which meant removing the diff from the tranny, then tearing into the diff to put the output shaft in. Got it all apart and the diff partially put back together. The ring gear (which I actually didn't even need to take off) bolts needs to be torqued to 144 lb ft and the whole thing is turning in the vice. So I cleaned up last night and went to bed.

Not too bad for ~8 hrs of work.

My buddy is coming over to help today. Hopefully he can hold the diff while I tighten down those bolts.

Everyone have fun racing....wish I could be there.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

be VERY careful not to blow out the Pilot Bearing. I have seen many who either blow out the Pilot or ruin the Input installing the TQ tube.

Good luck man!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Day 2 Update:

Did do a whole lot of work today. My buddy got here late so I couldn't do much until he showed up. I got the diff all put back together, the DTE rearend brace on, the new clutch on (anyone want to buy a slightly used LS1 clutch....works great....only 93k miles on it ) Then we got the whole cradle/tranny/diff/torque tube back up in place. Got the torque tube bolted to the bellhousing and the cradle bolts snugged up.

Only problem I ran into was I caught some wires between the torque tube and bellhousing. Doesn't look like anything was damaged though.

Should be able to finish it up tommorrow.

On a side note, my buddy was working on the door lock (its not working) and after some testing we determined I need a new door lock/latch mechanism. I wonder how much that is going to set me back?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the wires can be a bitch. I just pust a piece of sheet metal in there so as to not catch the wires, and/or fuel lines. Yes I got hung up on the fuel lines also. What Ellis said about the alignment going back together, I damaged the pressure plate because my jack holding the engine up bled down and alignment was off just enough to cause issues. But the issue did not show until the test drive, talk about tearing everything apart again, hehehe. I did all of mine with no help what so ever.
Robert
Old 06-03-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

well so far so go....of course we'll see later when I drive it.

It would be a huge pain to do by myself...in and out, in and out

mid day update:
headers are welded up and going back in. I got a new O2 sensor for one side cause the way the sensor is mounted it hits the frame a little and there was a bare wire showing (cheap ebay headers) Luckily the new 02 sensor is a little smaller, so hopefully it won't be a problem any more.

Just got to put the rear suspension back together, exhaust on and the clutch is pretty much done. Also have to hook up the line lock solenoid.

Back to work!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

All Done! With the clutch at least.

I took it out for a test drive and all seems to be working well. My first impression is the clutch pedal is a little firmer than stock and this thing bite a little harder than stock. You can still slip it a little, but not like the stock one. I don't know if either of these will change as it gets broke in or not.

I didn't get my line lock installed though Apparently in the month and a half I've had all of the parts I lost one of the metric to 3/8" adapters that I need. Oh well.

Also. My interior is all torn up as I need that door lock mechanism and I didn't see any point of putting the door panel back on when I'm going to tear it apart in a few days anyways. Maybe it's time to upgrade speakers while I'm at it too

Quick Reply: clutch going in this weekend