Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Let's Talk Pistols.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is plenty of good uses, blowing birds up, stopping traffic nothing like a well placed api round in an engine block hehe
Old 06-09-2007, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FN Five-Seven

incase you wanna punch holes in level II body armor, (and carry 20 rounds in one clip)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
My cousin actually mentioned CZ, because he has shot/owned quite a few with great success but I've never even held one of their handguns.
I love my CZ, but it's a 380. I have very small hands and it's one of the few I've shot and been completely comfortable with. I passionately hated my old Colt 9 mm. I think it was the Colt 2000 (early 90s). It sucked. It sucked so bad they quit making them very quickly. I've shot other Colts, Sigs, and Glocks (9s and 45s). The Sig was more comfortable, but for me the CZ was the best choice. Get thee to a range and fire a few ...

Last edited by MrsSeaHawk; 06-10-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Interesting discussion... I'm planning my first firearm, for home security and protection while out camping at least. Never thought I would want one, when I grew up in a small midwest town, people never used them. But these are much different times we live in today.

If you goto a gun shop with shooting range, do they let you try different guns? I don't know much, but want to learn about handguns. Hopefully I don't get carried away with wanting an ultra expensive piece of hardware!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
If you goto a gun shop with shooting range, do they let you try different guns? I don't know much, but want to learn about handguns. Hopefully I don't get carried away with wanting an ultra expensive piece of hardware!

Yep, they generally have a wide selection to choose from. I'm partial to Wades in Bellevue, but there are many others. You generally pay for a shooting lane, then extra for the guns you rent. Taking a class is a good idea too. In Oregon, to get a concealed permit, you have to take a very basic class. In Washington, you don't. The big advantage in having a permit is that you don't have to wait once you purchase a weapon. You can just take it home with you.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Interesting discussion... I'm planning my first firearm, for home security and protection while out camping at least. Never thought I would want one, when I grew up in a small midwest town, people never used them. But these are much different times we live in today.

As Mrs Seahawk said, most gun ranges also rent numerous types, styles and calibers of handguns. Just be sure to remember that the accuracy demonstrated by a rental gun is not always the same as what you will get from a new gun. Rental guns are like rental cars, people beat on them cuz they can. They are also used a ****-ton more then you or I would normally shoot ours and they are not cleaned as often or as well as they should be.......but the rentals will at least give you a great idea as to what fits, feels good and what you are comfortable with.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Here's a scenario: Burgulars are breaking into your vehicle at your home. You have discovered them and bring your weapon. In defense of your property, you command them to stop.

Having a weapon helps protects you from being attacked. If they just run away, they go free. I think they should be shot. That could lead to me being jailed for shooting a burgular? Would I be justified in even serving a BEAT DOWN? Letting them get away and be free to attack again doesn't seem right...

What do you think?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

just as a note I've noticed guns jamming at wades as they were not clean at all.

Sam's in everett is a good place to go as well.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a scenario: Burgulars are breaking into your vehicle at your home. You have discovered them and bring your weapon. In defense of your property, you command them to stop.

Having a weapon helps protects you from being attacked. If they just run away, they go free. I think they should be shot. That could lead to me being jailed for shooting a burgular? Would I be justified in even serving a BEAT DOWN? Letting them get away and be free to attack again doesn't seem right...

What do you think?
I think a few placed "near misses" may convince them to stop. If you happen to miss one of those "near misses" that's the risk that the ********* have to deal with for messing with your stuff.

If you do shoot a burgler, make sure you don't wound him/her. It really complicates things.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

What do you think?
Invite them inside for a beer and then shoot 'em. or in my case the car is inside the house so no problem.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

What do you think?
I personally hate jackers and think they should all be shot... One of my good friends just had her prelude stolen and stripped.
Before

After

But at much as I wish I could shoot them I can't, not unless I fear for my life. (Even then you could still get screwed) Personally I'd attempt to detain them until the police arrived, i.e. while I'm out there trying to stop them and detain them my fiance would be calling the police. It's hard to justify fearing for your life if they're running away. You shoot them and graze them they come back and sue you for it and win. You shoot some "near misses" and they end up going through the neighbors wall and injuring one of them. (Granted that'd be why I would personally use a .45 acp for less risk of overpenetration or a shotgun loaded with rocksalt) That and if I am going to take the chance of legal trouble and shoot them I'm gonna go for a disabling center mass shot.

For reference here is the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) law for Justifiable Homicide
RCW 9A.16.040
Justifiable homicide or use of deadly force by public officer, peace officer, person aiding.

(1) Homicide or the use of deadly force is justifiable in the following cases:

(a) When a public officer is acting in obedience to the judgment of a competent court; or

(b) When necessarily used by a peace officer to overcome actual resistance to the execution of the legal process, mandate, or order of a court or officer, or in the discharge of a legal duty.

(c) When necessarily used by a peace officer or person acting under the officer's command and in the officer's aid:

(i) To arrest or apprehend a person who the officer reasonably believes has committed, has attempted to commit, is committing, or is attempting to commit a felony;

(ii) To prevent the escape of a person from a federal or state correctional facility or in retaking a person who escapes from such a facility; or

(iii) To prevent the escape of a person from a county or city jail or holding facility if the person has been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a felony; or

(iv) To lawfully suppress a riot if the actor or another participant is armed with a deadly weapon.

(2) In considering whether to use deadly force under subsection (1)(c) of this section, to arrest or apprehend any person for the commission of any crime, the peace officer must have probable cause to believe that the suspect, if not apprehended, poses a threat of serious physical harm to the officer or a threat of serious physical harm to others. Among the circumstances which may be considered by peace officers as a "threat of serious physical harm" are the following:

(a) The suspect threatens a peace officer with a weapon or displays a weapon in a manner that could reasonably be construed as threatening; or

(b) There is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed any crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm.

Under these circumstances deadly force may also be used if necessary to prevent escape from the officer, where, if feasible, some warning is given.

(3) A public officer or peace officer shall not be held criminally liable for using deadly force without malice and with a good faith belief that such act is justifiable pursuant to this section.

(4) This section shall not be construed as:

(a) Affecting the permissible use of force by a person acting under the authority of RCW 9A.16.020 or 9A.16.050; or

(b) Preventing a law enforcement agency from adopting standards pertaining to its use of deadly force that are more restrictive than this section.

[1986 c 209 § 2; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.040.]

Notes:
Legislative recognition: "The legislature recognizes that RCW 9A.16.040 establishes a dual standard with respect to the use of deadly force by peace officers and private citizens, and further recognizes that private citizens' permissible use of deadly force under the authority of RCW 9.01.200, 9A.16.020, or 9A.16.050 is not restricted and remains broader than the limitations imposed on peace officers." [1986 c 209 § 3.]
and

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

[1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.050.]

and last but not least the Law regarding use of force

RCW 9A.16.020
Use of force — When lawful.

The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

(5) Whenever used by a carrier of passengers or the carrier's authorized agent or servant, or other person assisting them at their request in expelling from a carriage, railway car, vessel, or other vehicle, a passenger who refuses to obey a lawful and reasonable regulation prescribed for the conduct of passengers, if such vehicle has first been stopped and the force used is not more than is necessary to expel the offender with reasonable regard to the offender's personal safety;

(6) Whenever used by any person to prevent a mentally ill, mentally incompetent, or mentally disabled person from committing an act dangerous to any person, or in enforcing necessary restraint for the protection or restoration to health of the person, during such period only as is necessary to obtain legal authority for the restraint or custody of the person.

[1986 c 149 § 2; 1979 ex.s. c 244 § 7; 1977 ex.s. c 80 § 13; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.020.]

Notes:
Effective date -- 1979 ex.s. c 244: See RCW 9A.44.902.
Purpose -- Intent -- Severability -- 1977 ex.s. c 80: See notes following RCW 4.16.190.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt read all that hoopla but the short of it is you can match force but you can't kill someone for stealing your car in your driveway unless they have what appears to you to be a deadly weapon and threaten you with it.

That could be a hand in pocket insinuating a gun and thats all I'd need to unload. I felt in fear for my life officer, he point what appeared to be a gun in his pocket at me. I have kids behind me in the house and took no chances of them getting injured or killed from this maniac stealing my car and threatening me and my family with violence.

On a side not I'd love a black powder pistol. Civil war'ish era with the removable cylinder. single action hand cannon
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Wow Josh that's really good information. Thanks to everyone for your opinions I appreciate it. Glad to see how others think about these things, in case it actually happens I need a reality check.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Josh that's really good information. Thanks to everyone for your opinions I appreciate it. Glad to see how others think about these things, in case it actually happens I need a reality check.
Thats the tough part about carrying a gun. It carrys severe responsibility. The best thing to do is call a DA and ask them. They are the ones who will decide to prosecute or not so what they think in this matter is proll'y the best advice.

I see some stealing my car I'll call the cops first and then go out there with a hockey stick (aluminum w/ fiberglass reinforced blade) if they look like a punk or my SKS if they look dangerous. If they run I'm not going to shoot because its illegal to discharge a firearm unless your life is being threatened but I will wack and hack away with the stick no problem. Someone running from you is not a threat and you'd be prosecuted for firing warning shot. In Oregon you can legally kill someone entering your house but the body must fall inside. Driveway doesnt count
Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Good post Hitman. Sorry to see that happen to your friend's car. Its truly unfortunate that there is scum out there like that who show such a disregard for other people and their property.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

The worst part about it was she has collision but didn't have comprehensive on it at the time.

Personally I always thought she looked better next to an F-body

anyways back on topic...

I plan on going to Sam's up in Everett here in the next few weeks to get my fix and introduce Amanda to firearms as she's never shot one. Also going to take her to Kenmore to get an experience shooting a shotgun.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
Personally I always thought she looked better next to an F-body
I went to a place today called Marksman Gun Shop & Pistol Range in Puyallup on Canyon Road. They asked if I had any questions, and I explained I've never owned one and when I actually did ask questions, the guy got all dick tone on me. Said I should do research and goto a 4 hour training for $80 and get my answers. Pissed me off and I left... Hell if I give them any business after that bullshit.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to a place today called Marksman Gun Shop & Pistol Range in Puyallup on Canyon Road. They asked if I had any questions, and I explained I've never owned one and when I actually did ask questions, the guy got all dick tone on me. Said I should do research and goto a 4 hour training for $80 and get my answers. Pissed me off and I left... Hell if I give them any business after that bullshit.
That's odd. Were you asking questions about the gun itself, or the operation/handling of it? Those guys aren't there to give gun handling instructions, but that still doesn't explain his pissy attitude, sorry to hear about that.

Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitman, you need to hook me up with some of those girls. I've been single for to long.

I digress. I have read some good scoop and some bad scoop in this thread. I'll reserve my opinions though.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Dang, They have been nothing but nice to me and very tolerant with my dumb *** questions. The place that pissed me off was Bear Arms in Kent. So now I go 20 miles farther to the Marksman.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Pistols.....