Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Portland area lawyer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Portland area lawyer?

*cough* have a ticket I need help with, any good portland area lawyers around? passed a cop going fast, he wrote me for careless driving. He didnt have radar and didnt pace me. He just knew I blew by him and was being followed by a vette. Which by the way I tore a new one into. No biggy, lt1 era, had anniv wings on it, maroon in color, no idea what year.
anyway cop pulled us both over, wrote me for careless, said he was dong me a favor. I only admitted to 65mph. He said he was going 120+ and couldnt catch up, he was in a pickup with another cop. He said the stupid bitchthat was following me admitted to doing 100+ and was losing ground to me. I said I was doing 65 and stepped on it. I have no idea how fast I was going but doubt very much it was over 75. ticket is fairly plain, just say caareless 811.135 base fine $242 box checked that says no cuplable mental state... wtf does that mean? anyway, I'm thinking a lawyer could help with this one. Recomendations?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in oregon you are screwed unless the cop does not show up to the court date. I tried to get a lawyer and it was going to be VERY expensive and they said it would still boil down to my word against the officers and I would most likely lose and be stuck with the big bill. believe me I was pissed but I actually wasnt speeding at that time and he just tried to screw me cause I was an outa stater in fact the cop admitted the car that passed me just before he pulled me over was a canadian and wouldnt be forced to pay a ticket so he pulled me over instead. I drove the 10 hrs to fight it and had to stay the night in a hotell and they called me that night asking if I could reschedule cause the cop cant make it and I said HELL NO and so it got dismissed. the thing my lawyer here told me is never admit to anything. thats exactly what these ******* want is you to agree with them or admit to doing something wrong the BAM they **** you. good luck but sounds like that bitch in the vette screwed you. she probably thought by ratting you out would get her off the hook.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Fight it, regardless. Cops hand out tickets like candy because many people do not bother to take the time to actually fight them. The worse that can happen when you fight it is they will reduce the fine ($) and possibly even the charge--which is what you want them to do, because who gives a **** if you have to pay a couple hundred, you want that charge reduced or gone completely from your record. Because you weren't caught with radar or any real device, there is a lot of room to fight. You were cited for reckless driving because the cop couldn't give you a speeding ticket. Speeding is what he is calling reckless... but he has no proof you were speeding because you didn't get caught with a radar. This is your edge, take it and fight.

By the way, was he stopped when he started after you? Obviously if he was stopped and then started after you he couldn't have been doing 120+ to catch you. Also, what truck was he using? Most silverado's top out at 100 mph with the governor, and I'm pretty sure the police TRUCKS aren't fitted for HIGH SPEED chases... If he was really doing a 120+ to catch you, claiming you were doing 120+, you'd be arrested on site for a felony.. because that is double the speed limit in Oregon on a major highway.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He was in a ford, state trooper truck and was in a line of traffic when I went by him. It was careless not reckless. He also said Oregon has 100 mph law now. Get caught at 100 or more and its automatic $1000 fine and loss of license for 90 days. He had no way to prove how fast I was going. The vette bitch, well who knows what he wrote her for. Maybe she didnt even say she was going a 100 and the cop was lieing, I dont know but I never admitted speed more than 70-75. Stupid *** bitch in the vette was ripped a new one but she wouldnt let it go and caused the whole thing in the first place. I passed her in town doing 35mph with the cruise control on. She couldnt handle it and first chance she got she caught up and paced me and then floored it. I thought to my self is that all you got? Dropped 3rd caught up in an instant and then let off and paced her and then floored it left her in the dut, let off, floored it again to she knew she wasnt in the same league but she wouldnt quit. I was in the passing lane slowing down to 65 when she came up on me doing all it was worht so I stepped on it to get out of her way, traffic in the right hand lane prevented me from moving over. SO I passed it all and then jumped over out of the way to let her go. The cop was in the line of traffic. He saw none of how it all started or what happened. He only knew I passed him being followed by her. I was actualy trying to be safe by speeding. I didnt trust that she wasnt going to rear-end me. She was going way to fast by the time she caught up with me and I had already slowed down to half her speed. She would have rear-ended me had I not jumped ahead.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
Because you weren't caught with radar or any real device, there is a lot of room to fight. You were cited for reckless driving because the cop couldn't give you a speeding ticket. Speeding is what he is calling reckless... but he has no proof you were speeding because you didn't get caught with a radar. This is your edge, take it and fight.
Don't need a "real device" for speeding or similar tickets. The officer was in a moving & calibrated vehicle doing XX mph. He was passed, apparently quite rapidly, and he accelerated after the cars. If the cop was doing 65 (or whatever the speed limit is), anyone passing him like that is OBVIOUSLY exceeding the limit quite a bit. Plus, if the officer, while trying to catch up, looks down at his own speedo and sees that he is now doing 80+ and the car/s he is after are still pulling away, that is also very obvious that the cars are going over 80 mph.

They generally remove the governers on LE vehicles FYI.

And Blanco, not positive, but the "no culpable mental state" could either have to do with drugs and/or alcohol or have to do with road rage type stuff. It would be my guess that if he checked NO then it means you weren't drunk, drugged or otherwise impaired
Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Rottluver

They generally remove the governers on LE vehicles FYI.
The governors are not removed from the local cars here. I removed two them on two trucks for the Vancouver cops here and also on three trucks for the PDX cops. I am not sure about the OSP trucks, they haven't called me to remove them
Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tjwong
The governors are not removed from the local cars here. I removed two them on two trucks for the Vancouver cops here and also on three trucks for the PDX cops. I am not sure about the OSP trucks, they haven't called me to remove them
In Cali we ordered ours from the factory without them.......was part of the LE package of options. :\

Quick Reply: Portland area lawyer?