Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

LS3 Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default LS3 Dyno numbers

Well guys that C6Z is going to have a short life after all. Kind of like how the LT1 helped kill the ZR1. Basically, with just headers and a tune the base model is only 30rwhp off of the Z. And you can pick up a stripped model for right at $40k.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1750029
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:19 AM
Banned

Dreaming of a vette again 40k?!?!?
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, $40k at the bigger dealers like Kerbeck and Rick Conti. Usually low options on them but all the basics.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Why buy local when you can buy so cheap from dealers like Kerbeck and Conti... Great car for the $$!!
Old 07-06-2007 | 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about that 02 Z06 in your sig? I still like the C5 looks better. You can't ignore the performance difference though. For the cost of changing vehicles, you can do a lot to what you already have too. Decisions...decisions.
Old 07-06-2007 | 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's going to take a whole lot more than geting within 30hp of the C6Z06 to knock it off. If it was 100hp over the C6Z06 it still wouldn't run the times of the Z06. Hell, the standard C5's are only 30hp off from the C5 Z06 and can't hardly break out of the 13's, whereas, the Z06 can be a 11's car in the right hands, and well the C5 Z06 still holds it's ground well.
Robert
Old 07-06-2007 | 07:46 PM
FormerVendor

Personally I think those numbers are a bit inflated. But thats just my personal opinion. Just think at 423 rwhp and figure in a 20% powertrain loss that puts it at 507 CHP. Do you really think that GM left 75hp on the table to be tapped with just headers and a air filter change.......Especially since we all know that the stock exhaust is relatively free flowing.
Old 07-06-2007 | 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never said it would beat the C6Z's times but will take sales away from it because of price. This is exactly what happened to the ZR1 when the LT1 was released. It closed the gap enough for sales to tank. Only time will tell if the same happens here. But you gotta believe that a base car with headers and tune getting 423rwhp before she is broken in isn't looking good for the Z. Besides, what is being left on the table with this motor right now is anyones guess.
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ram-it
Never said it would beat the C6Z's times but will take sales away from it because of price. This is exactly what happened to the ZR1 when the LT1 was released. It closed the gap enough for sales to tank. Only time will tell if the same happens here. But you gotta believe that a base car with headers and tune getting 423rwhp before she is broken in isn't looking good for the Z. Besides, what is being left on the table with this motor right now is anyones guess.
It's the sum of the whole that makes the Z06 untouchable compared to the base cars. It sure didn't hurt the C5 Z06, now did it, ls1 vs ls6, even the ls2 falls short of the ls6. The LS7 will remain king of the hill for the foreseable future, imo.
Robert
Old 07-07-2007 | 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think your missing my point. And to help make it the C6 guys over on the other forum are already saying to hell with the C6Z when they can buy this one for way cheaper and get close to the same performance with very few mods. Is the Z superior? Yes. But most people, both of us included, do not drive the C5Z to its true potential and its no different with the C6 buyers. Most will want to say that they paid less and have close to C6Z numbers. It will hurt C6Z sales unless GM ups the ante on the LS7 prior to the release of the blower car.
Old 07-07-2007 | 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes. But most people, both of us included, do not drive the C5Z to its true potential
I don't agree with this, maybe you don't drive it to it's potential. When you need to dump your LS6 into the recycle bin then maybe you'll know what pushing it past it's potential means. Also, you may want to compare our stock 1/4 ETs, in each others sig to see who is pushing what/when/where. ...and when I put my stock suspension C5 Z06 into the 9.xx's you may see who is pushing a car, never designed for darg racing, into an area few see concerning any C5/C6.
Anyway, it's all good and like seeing GM staying on top of the performance field, as preusual. But still feel the standard C6 will not effect the sales of the C6 Z06. Well then again, maybe if it does it'll easier to come by?
Robert
Old 07-07-2007 | 12:18 PM
Banned

No way the base stripped down c6 ls3 at 40k will take sales away from the c6z06. IF I had the money I drop the coin for the better of the two in a heartbeat.

Sounds like social issues on the Vette forum.

They cant sell that car for that money (ls3 Vette) when I've got the heavy hitter at 30k more(427 z06). I want better distinction.

Lets face it for the most part Vette owners are all about symbolism and status and none of them ever really drive the car the way it's supposed to be.
Then you have guys like Robert who drive the car the way a muscle car should be driven. Like it was stolen!

AT 40k it makes it affordable and Chevy is all about selling cars in case anyone forgot.
Old 07-07-2007 | 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Any Corvette's true potential lies on the road course, not at the drag strip. The Corvette is not the best platform for drag racing... and after taking the driving school, I know what the C4, C5, and C6 was designed to do... and that's carve up corners. Really, drag racing is the realm of the F-body... solid rear axle, good weight transfer on take-off.

Now, the Corvette can make a fun drag car for sure... but in terms of racing, that's not the kind of racing it's meant to do.

I think that's what Eric's point was... unless you're a veteran SCCA racer, you're not driving these cars to their true potential.
Old 07-07-2007 | 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tranzor
Any Corvette's true potential lies on the road course, not at the drag strip. The Corvette is not the best platform for drag racing... and after taking the driving school, I know what the C4, C5, and C6 was designed to do... and that's carve up corners. Really, drag racing is the realm of the F-body... solid rear axle, good weight transfer on take-off.
Very true; however, getting one to perform at the drag strip is a real challenge, and my passion. Yes the f-bod is a better, or should I say an easier car to drag race and make faster than stockish. The F-body was not designed as a drag racer either. So which is the better drag car stock, well of course the Z06, the standard c5's or any F-body can not come close to Z06 times.

Now, the Corvette can make a fun drag car for sure... but in terms of racing, that's not the kind of racing it's meant to do.
It sure can and does, then you can go right over to the road course and perform there if ya like. try that with the f-bod. The Z06 is the best car out for all activities, RR, DR, Auto-x and so on.

I think that's what Eric's point was... unless you're a veteran SCCA racer, you're not driving these cars to their true potential.
Yea that was probably his point and relised this. I can say the same thing though, check out the Fast Z06 drag list, it's show's the true potential these cars have in the right hands at the 1/4 mile. We have guys that have pushed these stock cars way past anything Chevy has ever produced, or for that matter most makes. So, unless your a dedicated drag racer, your not driving these cars to their true potential.
Robert
Old 07-07-2007 | 03:59 PM
Launching!

Yeah I never performed up to my true potential either, or so my teachers said in school.
Old 07-08-2007 | 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jason was correct on my intent. The car was intended to be a road course warrior which is what I do with mine. I flog the hell out of it to the best of my ability and am no where near the car's limit. I know you do not drive yours in the manner that it was truly intended to shine. Yes, you are a great drag racer with it and have some awesome times. Fact is, every car made has been drag raced by someone whether it was intended to be good at it or not. The C5Z will always be remembered as a SCCA T1 4 year straight champion that the Vipers and Porches could not beat before it will ever be remembered as a drag car.

As for the LS3, that baby is impressive and I do believe that the C6Z has lost some of its luster because of it. This isn't to say I would by one over the Z because I like what I have. Just monitoring the posts on the other forum has most already saying they will jump to the LS3 instead of the Z. Keep in mind that this is talk amongst actual buyers who just bought or getting ready to. Not someone saying "if it were me". Many who were trading up from a C6 to a C6Z are not doing it now. Thats sales lost on the Z. And if you go look on ebay you can find those same Z's for MSRP or less brand new. Yes, I would love to have one but I will be buying a '67 427ci for $80k before I would buy the new car.
Old 07-08-2007 | 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

The C5Z will always be remembered as a SCCA T1 4 year straight champion that the Vipers and Porches could not beat before it will ever be remembered as a drag car.
I respectfully disagree. You have stated a few times about the vette forum, well I go there mucho, and check the performance section, the drag section and the boost/nitrous section. What I have seen is by far, I mean a vast majority, Drag Race their C5Z, not road race. I do know the C5 won some of the biggest road races out there, and the C6 is not far behind. Though, I have never heard of the Z06 winning the SCCA T1 4 years straight, actually not even for one year (I don't think this type of racing is really that popular because of cost).

The fact of the matter is, the C5Z06 is a legendary drag car, whether or not it was it's primary function. It will allways be remember as stockish everything killer at the drags, and even modded it holds it's own. Only when you get to the level of a dedicated Drag Car does it start falling short.

Anyway, I respect your determination to push your Z06 on the roundy round. But that's what is so cool about these cars, all I would need to do is change tires and it's ready for your venue, or vice versa. One day I amy even join ya out there.

The one thing we both agree on, the C5 Z06 is a bargain "Super Car Killer".
Robert
Old 07-08-2007 | 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm just hoping the LS3 brings the price of the LS2-powered C6s down... I'll be in the market for a 2005+ car in the next year or so, so if it brings the price down to right around 30k, I'll be in one of those sooner rather than later.
Old 07-08-2007 | 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have some very good points. The thing I mean when I say remembered by is the public as a whole. Most don't keep up with or hear about the Z's drag strip exploits outside of drag racing circles. The C5Z did with the SCCA T1 National Runoffs (this is shown on Speed too) four years straight. It is where the T1 regional champs all come together to race to see who is the best. Its dominated by the C5Z with a couple of GT3's and Vipers in the mix. The C6 is there but has not proven as competitive to date as the Z was right out of the box. These are stock cars with only suspension mods and a race tune plus safety equipment which makes it that much more impressive. I make my statements because of this type of racing that is shown on TV plus the ALMS and World Speed Challenge which always had a Corvette up front. Regardless, you guys on the C5Z fast list are impressive. The LS2 hasn't even come close. The LS3 might in stock form but you have to admit it is a great platform for being just the base car. Good luck with the new setup and hope to see you hit the 9's.
Old 07-09-2007 | 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ram-it
You have some very good points. The thing I mean when I say remembered by is the public as a whole. Most don't keep up with or hear about the Z's drag strip exploits outside of drag racing circles. The C5Z did with the SCCA T1 National Runoffs (this is shown on Speed too) four years straight. It is where the T1 regional champs all come together to race to see who is the best. Its dominated by the C5Z with a couple of GT3's and Vipers in the mix. The C6 is there but has not proven as competitive to date as the Z was right out of the box. These are stock cars with only suspension mods and a race tune plus safety equipment which makes it that much more impressive. I make my statements because of this type of racing that is shown on TV plus the ALMS and World Speed Challenge which always had a Corvette up front. Regardless, you guys on the C5Z fast list are impressive. The LS2 hasn't even come close. The LS3 might in stock form but you have to admit it is a great platform for being just the base car. Good luck with the new setup and hope to see you hit the 9's.
Ok, I see your point, and duly noted. Anyway, I'll remember it as one bad azz all around car, and outside of the C6 Z06, hard to beat at any price. I remember reading about the comparison of the C5 Z06 and the Enzo. The Enzo just barely edged out the Z and not in every catagory.
Robert

Quick Reply: LS3 Dyno numbers