Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

moving to the ft. lewis area

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving to the ft. lewis area

hey all, i will be moving to the ft. lewis area mid next year. i was wondering what are some decent areas to live that are relatively close to the base? is there any good performance shops around there, and which ones do you all recommend? im on a lower-middle class budget. crappy houses = cheap rent = more money for mods, lol. any help would be extremely helpful, thanks in advance.

brody
Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The sumner, Puyallup areas are ok & have alot of good shops in the area.

if you are looking for CHEAP rent I would move towards yelm or even Mckenna or even roy they are small towns with cheap rents, & fairly close to post (roy is just off the east gate) Mckenna & yelm are about 5 to 10miles down the road
Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks alot, besides cars is there anything else to do around there? (the wife has to have her fun too) how big is yelm?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XLR8N
thanks alot, besides cars is there anything else to do around there? (the wife has to have her fun too) how big is yelm?
Depends on what your wife likes to do. if nothign else Olympia (lacey), Tacoma (south tacoma) & puyallup are all with in an hours reach if not closer.
Yelm right now is growing, We do have a Movie theater in town that is fairly new, Walmart is just about to open up here, so we do have some shoping but everyone goes to like tacoma or Olympia for the major shoping.

we do have a park (or a couple of them) & our schools are not that bad, We dont have alot of bomb thrats or drug problems in our schools but they are there.

I spent a good part of my childhood in fairbanks (was born up there army brat as well)
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah im looking to be in thurston county cause none of my vehicals will ever pass emissions. i was in fairbanks doing training the winter before last, it was too damn cold for me, sleeping in tents @ 60* below. im trying to leave as soon as possible, lol. she likes the usual girl stuff but nothing to fancy. how far is seattle from yelm?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im looking to be in thurston county cause none of my vehicals will ever pass emissions. i was in fairbanks doing training the winter before last, it was too damn cold for me, sleeping in tents @ 60* below. im trying to leave as soon as possible, lol. she likes the usual girl stuff but nothing to fancy. how far is seattle from yelm?
yelm is in thurston county & the closes to the bases, As i said its growing up fast, by the end of the year we will have an applebees & KFC & several more 1000s homes starting to go up.

Where My husband & I live at (he works at McChord AFB) is about 45mins from our house to work for him, our neighbors out here dont bug us to much about our cars,

seattle Depending on traffic lol but you are looking at about 2hrs.

The tracks are both about 1.5hrs away & oregon is about 2hrs & the mountains & beaches are about 2hrs away.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

hey man, i am stationed at lewis check out near the tacoma mall.... i have a pretty decent apt over there also look at olympia about 15 min drive in the morning, yelm is a good choice as well, puyallup and thats all i can thing about for being close
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

sweet thats all i need is a kfc, the chicken bowls are my fav, lol. shes in the medical field, she does alot of clerical work like coding, referals and such. how is the pay in the area, im originally from yakima and if it compares we will be all set.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

ws6man whats your mos? im a 63b (mechanic) do they have plans on deploying anytime soon? hows traffic from tacoma?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet thats all i need is a kfc, the chicken bowls are my fav, lol. shes in the medical field, she does alot of clerical work like coding, referals and such. how is the pay in the area, im originally from yakima and if it compares we will be all set.
its pretty decent for this area, St peters Hospital is always hiring, plus there are several small Drs offices here in yelm & the local area, Plus she can always check out Madigan on post.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know im asking alot, but what is the average cost of a house in yelm? nothing too fancy just simple with a garage. what does your husband do on mccord? btw your guys' skylark is amazing
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know im asking alot, but what is the average cost of a house in yelm? nothing too fancy just simple with a garage. what does your husband do on mccord? btw your guys' skylark is amazing
house cost as in buying one? depends on if its land or not & where you live, up where I live at you are looking at low to mid 100s for a Moble home & a two car garage, if its a stick built house you are looking at a little more.
if you are looking in town at the newer built houses you are looking at about 200 up.

land you are looking 150 & up.

Thanks maybe once you move down here we can get together, I have met ev before & his wife at my house.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

ya that was ages ago!!!!! I cant wait to get back and go on some cruises and build my damn car already!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ws6man2000
ya that was ages ago!!!!! I cant wait to get back and go on some cruises and build my damn car already!!!!!!
lol that was about a year & a half ago thats how long we have owned the 71 Camaro now, (thats when we traded the 99 you were looking at in for)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

ya too bad it wasnt around when i deployed and the money started coming in better
Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

that would be awsome, its really hard on my wife moving and not knowing anyone. im used to it now. i wouldnt mind living in a single wide as long as it has a garage lol, but i cant put the wife up in a shanty. i like the new modulars though there quality has really came up over the years. so i take it you guys live out side of town. we are big animal lovers so we are kinda looking for a place on the out skirts where we can let the dogs out in the back yard with out worrys.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

that would be awsome, its really hard on my wife moving and not knowing anyone. im used to it now. i wouldnt mind living in a single wide as long as it has a garage lol, but i cant put the wife up in a shanty. i like the new modulars though there quality has really came up over the years. so i take it you guys live out side of town. we are big animal lovers so we are kinda looking for a place on the out skirts where we can let the dogs out in the back yard with out worrys.

yea we live out of town but where we live at we cant have large animals (horses,cows that kind of stuff) we live in a lake area that doesnt allow lifestock even though they allow me to live here lol.

the best thing is right now just start looking either for rent or to buy, if you are looking to buy out in this area that be great, always encourge the miliaty guys to buy that way if then get shipped else were they can cash in on the the vaule of the place that went up.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ws6man2000
ya too bad it wasnt around when i deployed and the money started coming in better
yea but we didnt want it 7 we wanted the 71 more lol

Quick Reply: moving to the ft. lewis area