Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Speed Density!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Only time he ever posts

I purposefully waited to reply to this because one time someone said some stuff to me and it hurt my feelings. [/InsertwinkiesattheendofeverysentenceItype]
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVME
I purposefully waited to reply to this because one time someone said some stuff to me and it hurt my feelings. [/InsertwinkiesattheendofeverysentenceItype]

Yeah but who's feelings will be hurt in a few months, when someone will have the faster ride?????
Old 07-13-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crazylane
Yeah but who's feelings will be hurt in a few months, when someone will have the faster ride?????

Faster??? Faster than what??
Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 AM
11 Second Club

nothing personal to anyone. Its an inside joke between me and him... He lives 4 doors down from me.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Don that is the MAP sensor...the main sensor use in SD mode

I have nothing against SD. Most all after market ECMs use SD as did most Manufactures at one time.

Actually I what I said was not correct. I've seen fuel suspend above the carb during overlap (not idle) and that makes the air pass the MAF twice, fooling it into thinking there's twice as much air flowing.

It's mostly a problem with IR (Individual Runner) intakes but engines with a plenum that's too small can exibit the same problem.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be hard to hurt my feelings on this subject. I do not have a fast car and you do. I have gotten over it many times

I can See NVME and his buddy got you to make this post thinking it would be a big issue but it really is not

Contrary to popular beliefe we like all fast cars. It is the Us and them attitude that causes problems

Eric remember there is always some one faster. I learned this a long time ago It cost me $1200 one night in 88 to figure it out the hard way!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Launching!

I just have a redneck street car that doesn't run and a stock Jap bike. Nothing to see here.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe in certain conditions the SD tunes works great all the time like in Texas where cars always seem to run like a charm all the time and big cams dont ever surge and cars make unbelievable HP numbers on dynos that are never duplicated elswhere. Maybe in that land of Oz they work great, but here in the PacNW I would take the word of a experienced tuners. Guys who make a living from tuning cars all day.

Tom is probably the best tuner on the west coast. Other guys who build $300,000 hotrods and cant make them run right bring them to Tom and he make them purr like kittens. I **** you not when I say on most days you'll find anywhere from a half a million to a million dollars plus in high powered exotic American muscle being worked on by the man.

The you have experienced guys who do their own tuning like Mark telling you it's not a good idea.

I wont say Ellis cause he only makes cars fast... by working on them and tuning them and everyone is very happy with his work, but yet for some reason this other turkey on here thought because he didnt recommend one that he didnt know how to do one. Thats the inside joke... Ellis is da man as well.

I looked at that $300 LPE MAF as well and opted for a z06 maf instead at $135 delivered. Thats pure overkill for my car (some say the z06 is as well) but would be good for Marks car.

I have a similiar combo as you in the works as well. Tony Mamo mamofied heads and intake with a 238/240 cam and the ultra lite YT's as well. My rockers are here and so is the cam. Waiting on the heads and intake. TJ will do the tune and it will purr like a kitten. IF you havent done it before it will take weeks and weeks and then you might still not get it right. I want to enjoy my summer Good luck to ya.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Maybe in certain conditions the SD tunes works great all the time like in Texas where cars always seem to run like a charm all the time and big cams dont ever surge and cars make unbelievable HP numbers on dynos that are never duplicated elswhere. Maybe in that land of Oz they work great, but here in the PacNW I would take the word of a experienced tuners. Guys who make a living from tuning cars all day.

Tom is probably the best tuner on the west coast. Other guys who build $300,000 hotrods and cant make them run right bring them to Tom and he make them purr like kittens. I **** you not when I say on most days you'll find anywhere from a half a million to a million dollars plus in high powered exotic American muscle being worked on by the man.

The you have experienced guys who do their own tuning like Mark telling you it's not a good idea.

I wont say Ellis cause he only makes cars fast... by working on them and tuning them and everyone is very happy with his work, but yet for some reason this other turkey on here thought because he didnt recommend one that he didnt know how to do one. Thats the inside joke... Ellis is da man as well.

I looked at that $300 LPE MAF as well and opted for a z06 maf instead at $135 delivered. Thats pure overkill for my car (some say the z06 is as well) but would be good for Marks car.

I have a similiar combo as you in the works as well. Tony Mamo mamofied heads and intake with a 238/240 cam and the ultra lite YT's as well. My rockers are here and so is the cam. Waiting on the heads and intake. TJ will do the tune and it will purr like a kitten. IF you havent done it before it will take weeks and weeks and then you might still not get it right. I want to enjoy my summer Good luck to ya.

Well to get one thing strait. I am not saying that Mark or Ellis is wrong. But on a side note I am not saying the people I have talked to is wrong either. I just don't find driving for 2 to 3 hours and spending 5 to 600 is worth it. I can use that little bit of extra money on other things..

And as far as summer is concerned its pretty much over, so I have all winter to play with the tune. So no loss there.

I would rather try and learn it my self then pay someone to do the work for me. Yeah it may take me a few months and a lot of headaches, and probibly asking you all for advice. But in the end I will be more knowlegable about my car, and will help me out in the long run,, right??? I am going to try both sides of the fence, why not. I have nothing but time.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think Ellis, myself, Tom Wong, or anyone was saying it's a waste of time.

What we said was if you aren't exceeding the capabilities of the MAF, you won't really gain much if anything in SD mode over tuning it the other way.

AND we implied that is can cause driveablility issues day-to-day because the MAF is what compensates for climate changes.

Many people claim it has helped them. So it can't be useless. So IF you need it and are willing to deal with the trade-offs, then by all means try it.

The only reason I will use it at some point is to dial in my 2 BAR tune. When complete I will copy-paste back those changes into my MAF tune. But that's me....
Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Cool,, fully understood.. Thanks for clearing it up.

Quick Reply: Speed Density!!