Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Way to go Aussies

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I'm sure they'd find that no less offensive than I would find someone telling me it's real, or that I should believe it's real if I want to live in a particular country.

Hmm.

God ain't part of my culture, and I'm not about to go live somewhere else because someone else wants to believe that crap.
Well your apart of about 1% of the entire world, could you be wrong, I think the overwhelming majority will say you are. Our country was founded on the exact same ideas/prinicpals/belief in god etc. Good thing your type (non god believers) runs nothing world wide of any power, otherwise you might set up some concentration camps to take care of god believers. I could go on and on. But debating someone's ignorance will only bring the non ignorant down to their level. How ya like them apples.
Robert
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Joe ,NW94, Could fill us in on that. He lived there in his Teens. I can not remember but I think a skilled trade in need and a LARGE sum of money in the bank with a return ticket to your home country

Do not quote me it has been a while since Joe and I chatted about it.
Man there are times I really miss Australia. Talk about a people that know WHO they are. Know WHAT they are. Know WHY they are. And know WHERE they came from.

Unlike so many of us that live in the United States they are all proud to be Australian. Not ashamed of it. It's not cool to distance yourself from your country and to make excuses for your fellow countrymen.

Open, friendly, tolerant, but they know when to step up to the line and tell you to **** off.

I have lived there on two separate occasions. Not visited mind you but lived there. Once as a junior in high school and once as a contributing member of the workforce. I lived there as an American and proud of it. Just as aware of they being Australian as they were that I am American. I was able to live with them and truly feel comfortable and even at home because they are practically as much like us as we are like them. We share the same values, and interests.

It is true though that becoming a resident is exceptionally hard. You do have to offer a specialized skill that an Australian isn't capable of offering or doing. You do have to have a very large bankroll as well. They do not want you to get on the "dole" (welfare) forever and never contribute to society since in Australia there is no finite term for services like unemployment checks.

However the more time that passes the further we (Americans) in general drift away from them, although I hear they are moving in our direction. Think of Australia like the US before the PC movement. Relatively care free, and content people with a strong national identity. When I lived there you could say what you like and not worry about who may have overheard you. If you told a rated R or XXX joke your female co-workers were as likely to contribute to the joke as well as laugh at it. Sure there were lines that still shouldn't be crossed but it's not like living in an increasingly sensitive state.

Basically we will tolerate intolerance which is a frightening road they from the sounds of this post will not. Let's hope they stay that way.

BTW I've had the good fortune of living in many different countries and even compared to Australia this is still the best one.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Well your apart of about 1% of the entire world, could you be wrong, I think the overwhelming majority will say you are. Our country was founded on the exact same ideas/prinicpals/belief in god etc. Good thing your type (non god believers) runs nothing world wide of any power, otherwise you might set up some concentration camps to take care of god believers. I could go on and on. But debating someone's ignorance will only bring the non ignorant down to their level. How ya like them apples.
Robert
concentration camps, huh? Rich.

And yes, I agree... the world has been so much better with that 99% blowing each other up for thousands of years because their invisible man is better than someone else's invisible man.

Yeah.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by KTamez
Zeke, I understand your point, but if you are offended simply by the *idea* of god, then I think you need some prozac or something dude. Even the sentance you quoted says nothing about believing just don't bitch about the fact that others do.....

Note: I have NEVER EVER been in a religious debate in my life, soley because other beliefs against what mine are do not matter. I do not bitch about yours, and no one bitches about mine. Everything I read, seems to show I would be fine in Australia.
The idea of God is not offensive to me... It's pretty entertaining to me, actually... The idea that I'd have to somehow accept or believe in said God to live in a particular country, however, is highly offensive to me.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

concentration camps, huh? Rich.
You don't remember your fellow non believer, Hilter? How about Stalan, another non believer and some say (his country men) he killed more than Hitler. You get the drift, no consequnces to their actions, cause there is no god, so kill everyone whom you don't like or who believes differently.
Robert
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
teh PuRpL3z

You don't remember your fellow non believer, Hilter? How about Stalan, another non believer and some say (his country men) he killed more than Hitler. You get the drift, no consequnces to their actions, cause there is no god, so kill everyone whom you don't like or who believes differently.
Robert
Hitler was Catholic, dude.. and was the illegitimate son of a Jewish father. Stalin was raised in a religious school.

And I'd say you must have missed the part of school where they taught about the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and the Dark Ages.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 07-25-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hitler was Catholic, dude.. and was the illegitimate son of a Jewish father. Stalin was raised in a religious school.
Sure, true in reality as facts, but out of context, as both were non believers.

And I'd say you must have missed the part of school where they taught about the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and the Dark Ages.
No single religous leader in the entire history of the world has been responsable for the amount of murders that either of those clowns directed.
Robert
Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

To bad Ronald Regan wasn't in his hey day in these troubled times, he would hand the towel heads their lunches. Is it politicly correct to refer to terroists as RagHeads, and/or TowelHeads?
Robert
Word!!!, Robert. No doubt!

It's amazing how much our ultra tolerant society has dissolved our culture here in the States. I was just reading an article about a New Jersey college requiring students to take lessons on the Koran. Several students took them to court and our own judges upheld the college's requirement. This just speaks for itself. Our already ridiculous separation of church and state ruling is better read as a separation of 'christian ideals' and state. Jesus is out, but hey, abortion, homosexuality and the Koran is A OK!

PS, Robert my friend, be sure to check out Fred Thompson in this next election (i'm sure you already have). He's the man I call "the next Ronald Reagan" (the candidate most like him that is).
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

The idea of God is not offensive to me... It's pretty entertaining to me, actually... The idea that I'd have to somehow accept or believe in said God to live in a particular country, however, is highly offensive to me.
How thick ARE you? Nowhere does it say you have to accept or believe in God in order to live there. The point they're trying to make is they don't want some anti-religion zealot to pull the kind of **** they do here, like trying to get "In God we Trust" off of our money, or tying to force us to take "under God" out of the pledge of alliegence (sp?).
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by mbrownin
How thick ARE you? Nowhere does it say you have to accept or believe in God in order to live there. The point they're trying to make is they don't want some anti-religion zealot to pull the kind of **** they do here, like trying to get "In God we Trust" off of our money, or tying to force us to take "under God" out of the pledge of alliegence (sp?).
Yeah, I wonder too how the country survived 157 years, a civil war and two world wars without either of those things. It sure made a huge difference. How we ever beat Hitler and Stalin without God on our money... wow.. amazing.

I'm sorry, it was zealotry that put them there... not the other way around.

So tell me, what part of the Northwest do you live in?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Man there are times I really miss Australia. Talk about a people that know WHO they are. Know WHAT they are. Know WHY they are. And know WHERE they came from.

Unlike so many of us that live in the United States they are all proud to be Australian. Not ashamed of it. It's not cool to distance yourself from your country and to make excuses for your fellow countrymen.

Open, friendly, tolerant, but they know when to step up to the line and tell you to **** off.

I have lived there on two separate occasions. Not visited mind you but lived there. Once as a junior in high school and once as a contributing member of the workforce. I lived there as an American and proud of it. Just as aware of they being Australian as they were that I am American. I was able to live with them and truly feel comfortable and even at home because they are practically as much like us as we are like them. We share the same values, and interests.

It is true though that becoming a resident is exceptionally hard. You do have to offer a specialized skill that an Australian isn't capable of offering or doing. You do have to have a very large bankroll as well. They do not want you to get on the "dole" (welfare) forever and never contribute to society since in Australia there is no finite term for services like unemployment checks.

However the more time that passes the further we (Americans) in general drift away from them, although I hear they are moving in our direction. Think of Australia like the US before the PC movement. Relatively care free, and content people with a strong national identity. When I lived there you could say what you like and not worry about who may have overheard you. If you told a rated R or XXX joke your female co-workers were as likely to contribute to the joke as well as laugh at it. Sure there were lines that still shouldn't be crossed but it's not like living in an increasingly sensitive state.

Basically we will tolerate intolerance which is a frightening road they from the sounds of this post will not. Let's hope they stay that way.

BTW I've had the good fortune of living in many different countries and even compared to Australia this is still the best one.

Sure would be nice to have those days again that is for sure. I LOVE being an American but it is getting increasingly hard to be proud of it these days.

Zeke. Looks like you did get a few people going. I am pretty sure what they were saying is "do not shove yours on me and I will do the same" I can live with that. Sure would be nice if it was that way here. This Country was partly founded on religion..Or to the point a freedom of religion. I have no problem with that either. To each his own.

I have no true religius preferance and do not practice in any form other then to try and treat people the way I would like to be treated. Even at that some times it is harder then I would like it to be

I like the System they have in place and feel it would do America good to adopt a good deal of it. I would never be able to move there as I do not have eough to offer but here the Government would happily pay and train some one to do any job any of us could do WHILE we bust OUR ***'s to pay for it!

Yeah THAT bothers me. It would seem we can not let Qualified people come live here but anyone with no skills is more then welcome. . . . While we pay for it.

What more can a person say?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

We put the "In God We Trust" etc on our money and into the pledge during the 1950's as a result of the red scare and our ongoing battle to stem the influence of the godless communists. Think about he allegorical movies of the 50's: The Blob, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Kon Tiki, and so on. If you don't stop the monster from growing when it's small, it will become too big to manage!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I wonder too how the country survived 157 years, a civil war and two world wars without either of those things. It sure made a huge difference. How we ever beat Hitler and Stalin without God on our money... wow.. amazing.

I'm sorry, it was zealotry that put them there... not the other way around.

As usual you miss the broader picture. The symbolism on the currency is just that, showing our value/moral prinicapls. Good vs evil is the bottom line, with the good as the allies and the evil as the mass murders. The morals is really what the civil war was about, and again good won out.

Ok Zeke, what do you really stand for. So far all you have given is anti god slogans and very weak backing of your statements. A very confused young man, imo, if I can be so bold. Come on over to the good side, as we don't hate ya, or actually disrespect ya. I am surprised this thread has remained open?
Robert
Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very interesting comments by a public official. It would be very surprising for any official in the states to make such comments but that is the difference in standards in the US today. Sometimes PC can be a bitch but I find it much more tolerable than not having standards. I can only imagine being an ethnic female on the workforce dealing with the members of this site (whom I imagine are 90% white republican christian males). I don't see it as a bad thing, just have to be open to others' ideas. Let the debate rage on.

Marty
Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you have not met many of us in person. With out even meeting us or any Idea how we were raised. Many of us were rasied to a much higher standard then many children are raised with today. Your comments about how we may or may not act are completely off base. At least for many of the people here I know here on this site your comments are very offensive.

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
Very interesting comments by a public official. It would be very surprising for any official in the states to make such comments but that is the difference in standards in the US today. Sometimes PC can be a bitch but I find it much more tolerable than not having standards. I can only imagine being an ethnic female on the workforce dealing with the members of this site (whom I imagine are 90% white republican christian males). I don't see it as a bad thing, just have to be open to others' ideas. Let the debate rage on.

Marty
BTW Just for the record I am NOT offended by your comments. I under stand why you made them.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 AM
teh PuRpL3z

As usual you miss the broader picture. The symbolism on the currency is just that, showing our value/moral prinicapls. Good vs evil is the bottom line, with the good as the allies and the evil as the mass murders. The morals is really what the civil war was about, and again good won out.

Ok Zeke, what do you really stand for. So far all you have given is anti god slogans and very weak backing of your statements. A very confused young man, imo, if I can be so bold. Come on over to the good side, as we don't hate ya, or actually disrespect ya. I am surprised this thread has remained open?
Robert
The good side

I'm sorry, Robert, but if insinuating that my lack of belief in some guy that lives in the clouds makes me par with mass murderers and evil is the mark of people who are on the "good side"... sign me up for evil.

I don't miss the broader picture... I simply lay off out of respect. I know if I started tearing into this topic, it would get pretty ugly. Someone once told me that debating someone's ignorance will only bring the non ignorant down to their level.. so I'll cut you some slack.

Seriously, you really don't want me tearing into God... and it would get this thread locked in a second... so I'm not going to put that kind of effort into something that is just gonna get the kibosh. You will just have to accept that there is no possible way anyone could ever get me to accept even for a second that the world's biggest lie (organized religion) is even remotely true.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Like said above, completely missing the point, AGAIN. How does this stupid comment have anything to do with the thread topic? Those 2 slogans are just that, slogans. The majority of the population approve of their existence, yet when some loud-mouth athiest, agnostic, etc. decides it is unfair that they are there, our spineless officials won't tell them to go screw themselves. I have nothing against anyone because of their religion, or lack of it. Personally, I think I qualify as agnostic. The accuracy of any religious beliefs was never the topic of this thread.

The problem is not limited to religion. How about language? For me, if you want to live here, and be able to communicate well, learn our language, i.e. English. I am thoroughly disgusted by all the "press 1 for English, 2 for Espanol" bullshit.

Other foreign customs: If a Muslim woman wants a driver's license, take the f'ing rag off your face for the picture I.D. That's how OUR system works. If you don't like it, get TF out.

WTF are you ranting about here?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mbrownin

The problem is not limited to religion. How about language? For me, if you want to live here, and be able to communicate well, learn our language, i.e. English. I am thoroughly disgusted by all the "press 1 for English, 2 for Espanol" bullshit.

Other foreign customs: If a Muslim woman wants a driver's license, take the f'ing rag off your face for the picture I.D. That's how OUR system works. If you don't like it, get TF out.
It pisses me off Congress doesn't have the ***** to establish "English" as the official language of the United States. Maybe we should now be referred to as the "Separate States of America". It's where we're heading. Language is one of the key binding agents for any country. I don't see Mexico having difficulty identifying they're national tongue.

Regarding other foreign customs if you want to drive a cab in my country you had better pick people up that may be carrying a bottle of wine. If it conflicts with your religious belief choose a different profession!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Done.

Quick Reply: Way to go Aussies