Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Header install is complete..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Header install is complete..

Many thanks for Doug and Don for the assistance, and Ellis for tech advice... They're all on the car, and I took it out for a test drive this evening... of course it threw a SES code right away... I assume I have a code for EGR since I forgot to put the EGR delete program onto the computer.

I'm going to have to figure out something with my DSL.. the y-pipe is actually contacting it, and it transmits all of the vibration of the exhaust into the passenger compartment.

So the first thing I noticed was... damn, this car is a WHOLE lot louder now.. and it definitely has a noticable SOTP improvement in performance, it pulls much harder at WOT now. It's actually fairly quiet at idle, and when cruising, it's only when you're on the gas that it get pretty loud. The tune is screwed up, though... it wants to shift into 2nd gear at 4000 RPM, and it hit the rev limiter on the 2-3.

SOMETHING fell off the car during the test drive, but it does not seem to be a piece of the car. No idea what it was, but I heard it clanging as it fell behind me. I pulled over and could not for the life of me find whatever it was... but after looking the car over up and down and checking everything we loosened or removed, everything was still solidly on the car.

Hopefully I will have the time to get it dialed in before the next race, but it already feels considerably faster even before a tune.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aoutstanding! Probably a wrench....they seem to fall into remote carcks that cannot be seen or touched by human hands & then exit the car on the first test drive.

And you will need to get that pipe issue fixed or it will start going into KR....ask Dougie.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need pics, those headers look like art work from what I recall previously.

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What headers you end up going with? How about the Y? Went LT right?

Still up in the air what I want the next mod to be, and if I want it for the TA or the GTP, half tempted to go pick up some rockers for the GTP to give it a better edge against the TA as it is and help out with mileage, but I also can't decide if I want to hear the sweet loud WOT exhaust note either.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
We need pics, those headers look like art work from what I recall previously.

Mike
Oh, they'll real pretty, that's for sure... Doug was giving me a hard time because I taped them all up putting them in so they didn't get all scratched up.. and man, that tape was a real PITA to get back off.. LOL... but those grey headers with red plug wires looks real sharp.

I think what will complete the look is that I'm going to find a set of carbon fiber FRC's to match my lid, and put the Formula logo on them in red. Polished Meziere pump is going on there soon, and I'm going to start polishing / chroming pieces under the hood. Should look really nice.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rawr256
What headers you end up going with? How about the Y? Went LT right?

Still up in the air what I want the next mod to be, and if I want it for the TA or the GTP, half tempted to go pick up some rockers for the GTP to give it a better edge against the TA as it is and help out with mileage, but I also can't decide if I want to hear the sweet loud WOT exhaust note either.
Kooks, with a Kooks catted y-pipe. Sounds real sweet, and they went in without a lot of thrashing, we didn't have to drop the steering column. Doug figured out the trick to getting the driver's side in there without too much pain. Of course we had to take the whole freaking thing apart because we forgot to put anti-seize on the bolts.. DOH.

We did have to notch the k-member on the driver's side... we did it AFTER the headers were in... but there was only like 1/16" of clearance there, and we figured that we needed a little more room there. Now I have like 3/8" there.

We both have the same issue with our y-pipe contacting the DSL, so we have to figure that one out.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 07-30-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Vince @ Trifecta just did a wicked tune on the 98', we had to do a lot of chasing to find out a weird issue. New PCM and all shift points are exactly where they should be, everything runs smooth as butter now.

You are probably getting a code for the EGR, we had to go back and do a delete - SES went off.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Ellis is the only one that I let work on my car.. nothing against Vince, I just like to stick with a known entity that knows my car and what's been done to it better than I do.

BTW... for those of you who haven't seen the new wheels.. here's a few pics. Car is dirty, I will have some new pictures shortly.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah those wheels look BAD ***! nice choice
Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Gotta love your definition of 'dirty'

I trust Ellis with anything but he was tied up with your build, was pleased with Vince.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those wheels look Awesome!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Posting a picture of such a dirty car...

I can even see some dirt on the edge on the front wheel well, you make me sick!

Just don't ask for a pic of my car, saturday night it changed from glowing Orange to bug gut covered yellow. Wife drove the car this morning and halfway to work I told her to turn back and take the Probe, I would feel better because it is always dirty, I just got a weird look.

Going to have to show the wife a picture of the wheels and throw more options into the pool for her of choice she would like. I think something along those lines would look killer on the SOM.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Gotta love your definition of 'dirty'

I trust Ellis with anything but he was tied up with your build, was pleased with Vince.
Oh trust me, it's really dirty... the picture just doesn't show it. There's rubber all over the rear fenders, and the whole backend of the car is covered with dirt. The car is so waxed that it still shines even when it's filthy.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That car is sex!

Tony.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome Zeke!! Can't wait to hear it! This is the car with the GMMG as well right? that'll sound amazing! That sight looks familiar though... i remember having the 99 on there and the nightmare it was putting the SLP long tubes on... and I'm sure Don remembers that... I think I still owe him a few brews or somethin for that too.

Wheels look great as well!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Yeah, I have the GMMG catback... and yes, it does sound pretty nice. I couldn't help but floor it just to hear the sound of that exhaust.

If you've ever heard Doug's SS before, my car sounds pretty much exactly like it did before he put the cam in it. It kinda startled me the first time I started it because I was not used to it being that loud, its always been a pretty quiet car.. LOL

I told my GF when I got home last night that she's really gonna hate the Formula when I get it home... she hates my Trans Am because of the Loudmouth on it, and the Formula makes it seem quiet by comparison...
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice choice in headers. did you coat them? I also went Kooks, SS and dual 3 inchers all the way back.
Robert
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Robert56
Nice choice in headers. did you coat them? I also went Kooks, SS and dual 3 inchers all the way back.
Robert
Yeah, I had Performance Coating do a number on them, it came out real nice....

Old 07-31-2007, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Yeah, I had Performance Coating do a number on them, it came out real nice....

That color coating would match up nicely with my BMR kmember.

Mike
Old 07-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Awesome car and bad *** wheels

Quick Reply: Header install is complete..