Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

God I hate sunday's....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default God I hate sunday's....

Sorry for such a long read.

Well Yesterday I found out that my front driver side bearings in my 78 Ford were shot. When I say shot, I mean there were like only a couple bearings left. The bearing race and housing were in pieces. So I went and got a new seal and inner and outer bearings. As I begin to replace them, I get a phone call asking about the truck. Cause I have it up for sale on Craiglists. This girl that is in the army all the way over in Lacey was on her way over to pay cash for it, and not to let any one else buy it. Lol. Well **** what great timing.

Well come to find out she wanted to pay for it now and come back with another person on monday and pick it up. So I was like cool, I am in the process of changing the front bearings and that will give me a little more time to finish up my job I got goin on. Well it got to be late, and the wife and I had a some other plans to go see Superbad. What a movie by the way... I laughed my *** off.

So the smorning I put the hub back together and get the brakes and tire back on. I was actually thinking to my self. this is going way to smooth, something is bound to happen. Well I fired her up and warmed it up for a few minutes. Went to take it out on a drive, and not even a mile down the road, the tire started shaking and grinding really bad.

So I hurried back home, took the tire and hub all back apart and find bearings and mashed up, metal all over the place. I pull it all apart clean it back up and start inspecting the Spindle, and sure enough it is fucked. Threads totally gone. Called about 6 different places. And got the same answer every were. (Wait till monday please). Damn!!!

Well come to find out, what happened. There is a snap ring on the outer axle shaft, that keeps every thing in place, Well I did not get it totally seated and it poped off as I drove less than a mile.

So flame suit on, for being such a dumb ****. Common mistake that will cost good money..

Sorry for such a long book, I just thought I would share how my weekend has gone.

Lane
Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks! Olympic won't be open till tuesday man. Not sure where else on this side to check
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Wow that sucks. Spindle for that truck will be kinda tough to find. Good luck on getting it back together
Old 08-19-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't you a machinist? Hahaha j/k hopefully you get it figured out.

Marty
Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

^^^Lol. yeah actually I am. If I was working at a machine shop I would not have to worry about it. I would make one my self. Infact I have made one before, for my 1960 stepside chevy. But being's that I am behind a desk now. It kinda puts a kink in things. lmao.

Lane
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Well it took me all day, but I found a spindle at mile marker 71 on I-5 There is a wrecking yard out there, about 45 minutes out of Olympia. I went and picked it up. Put every thing back together, and sold the truck for $4,900. Not to bad for only buying the truck for a $1,000. lmao.

Lane