Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

need some suggestions on suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007 | 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Default need some suggestions on suspension mods

i already have UMI LCAs, Panhard bar, SFCs and i wana beef up the suspension a little more.. i probably only have around ~$700 to spend. i was thinking of grabbing this UMI Torque Arm http://www.umiperformance.com/2205?category_id=130 to clear the TSP TDs, and a set of Strano sway bars..http://www.stranoparts.com/partdeta...ID=18&ModelID=7

Yay or Nay? any suggestions/comments would be appreciated..
Old 09-02-2007 | 05:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

well it really depends on what you want to do. street, strip, road racing and so on. GM high performance tech just had an artical on some madman stuff. looks pretty promising, i beleive thats the same stuff ellis is running. thunderracing.com is where you can get it. ive looked on their site and couldn't find anything they make, i dont think they have updated their site, but im sure if you contact them they can help you out.

brody
Old 09-02-2007 | 05:22 AM
10 Second Club

The MADMAN stuff is NOT for the Faint of heart.

I recomend the full length TQ arms for the street. I think Mike had the UNI and it drove him crazy

Good stuff mind you but he was not liking it.

BTW the is a full listing of MADMANs stuff at Thunder...The ONLY place you can buy it

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...cturer&mid=166
Old 09-02-2007 | 05:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

how do you like yours ellis i know you havent driven it, but what about install and quality of manufacturing? GMHPT says its second to none but as we all know they can be partial sometimes. do you think its durrable enough for heavy street and maybe auto x? thanks

brody
Old 09-02-2007 | 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Like everybody else has said, it depends on what your plans are for the car.

Because I drive my car everyday I chose to go with Koni shocks. They were the biggest suspension upgrade by far. However they are not so good for drag racing. But if you are looking for cornering improvements my suggestion is to upgrdae your shocks to Koni's first.
Old 09-02-2007 | 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry ellis i responded without reading the web site, it says not recomended for street use. is that because of the harsh ride or durability issues? from what i gathered from the site the torque arm is only available for aftermarket rears. thanks

brody
Old 09-02-2007 | 11:29 AM
Banned

For a street car, springs and shocks are the best upgrade bar none. I don't think a torque arm is important until you run 10's or so and have done everything else. My stocker held up fine down to 10.82 and 1.47 60's. Believe it or not, even poly endlinks and mounts for your swaybars make a noticeable improvement. I would spend my money on reducing weight WAY before a torque arm. Get a UMI k-member.
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Sway bars make a big difference for cornering AND help for drag racing. I'd go big.

Shocks & spring do a lot too. The torque arm is more for big HP & hard launches.

The BEST suspension mod IMO for daily driving is a shock tower brace. Serioulsy!
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Sway bars make a big difference for cornering AND help for drag racing. I'd go big.

Shocks & spring do a lot too. The torque arm is more for big HP & hard launches.

The BEST suspension mod IMO for daily driving is a shock tower brace. Serioulsy!
Yeah but what do you know?
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

so ellis do they not recomend it for the street cause of the harsh ride?

brody
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

I am still installing the kit so anything I say now would be with out truw knowledge and if you know me I do not like to do that.

My GUESS would be the solid joints and simple but effective slider on the TQ arm are a little much for the normal crowd. The slider may need more attenion then most can give it.
Old 09-02-2007 | 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

i DD my car, its not a drag car..and i want it to be able to hook and turn good.. i have more cash then i originally thought so chances are i will be going with a set of Konis.. i sent Sam Strano a PM to see what he recommends. but i dont really think i have an option when it comes down to TAs because of my TSP TDs, and that UMI TA was based around that exhaust system.. as far as weight reduction goes.. no back seats, no A/C, no sparetire. If i went with a K member i would use up most my cash, and wouldnt be able to get shocks.. so thats out of the question. i might just get Konis and the sway bars
Old 09-02-2007 | 05:26 PM
Banned

I think koni's are overkill for the street, if your racing I could justify it. I think lowering springs and decent shocks like bilstein would be fine. If you don't go with lowering springs with more spring rate, get some sway bars. I just don't think you need both for a street car. Poly mounts and endlinks is a better bang for you buck on the sway bars since you already have the bigger front SS swaybar. But what do I know, I tinkered with this stuff for 2-3 years and then went drag.

Scott
Old 09-02-2007 | 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

We will need to be carefull with the lowering springs and the long tube headers. Shocks are always a nice upgrade even if they are over kill.

I think the K-member is a race only Option IMHO. They have shown to hold up well on the street but unless you need the room for turbos or a blower the cost Vs wieght(33lbs) is not always best bet

Poly Bushings in the lower control arms are great. The new articulating(Poly Sphirical) LCA's are good too. A nice adjustable Pan hard bar.

A TQ arm would be near last on my list. I would add a Poly Mount to the TQ Arm.

Lots Of little things here and there that can tune it in
Old 09-02-2007 | 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

right on Ellis. I pmed Sam Strano and briefly talked about the Konis with his Sway bars.. im going to give him a call this week and after pay day.......................i will be broke again
Old 09-04-2007 | 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member20 Year Member

I currently DD my Z28 and have a complete suspension -afterarket Kmember,Tq arm..

I run the Hypercoil springs w/ Bilstien HD's,LGM sways,LGM LCA'a,LGM adj PHR,LGM Relo brackets, and weld in SFC's...

My car has a very nice stiffnes to it, yes it is a decent ride for an Fbod..

I agree with Scott ( Jantzer98SS).. some good springs,shocks are a great start.. then just kind of phaze everything else in..

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
A TQ arm would be near last on my list. I would add a Poly Mount to the TQ Arm.
Even on an M6?

Though with all of us granny shifters it probably doesn't really matter
Old 09-04-2007 | 02:26 PM
Banned

The strut tower brace would be my last mod, actually I wouldn't do it cause it adds weight. But yeah I was there at one time and I did notice a difference. Not like the panhard bar, but there was a difference. The springs/shocks with just bilstein hd's blew me away. The poly endlinks and mounts for the sway bars made a bigger difference than the tower brace for me. And I really didn't feel much with the subframe connectors either, but some swear by them.

The k-member also improves fuel economy.
Old 09-04-2007 | 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
right on Ellis. I pmed Sam Strano and briefly talked about the Konis with his Sway bars.. im going to give him a call this week and after pay day.......................i will be broke again
You will not be dissapointed with Koni shocks. By far they were the biggest suspension upgrade I have done and worth every penny.
Old 09-05-2007 | 03:13 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah im seriously considering them.. just waiting til friday then ill have the cash. did you install them your self?