Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Any of you M6 guys powershift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007 | 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Default Any of you M6 guys powershift?

I am still running stock everything with the exception of a lid and would love to come as close to a 13.0 as possible w/o doing anything else to the car. I read up on the power shifting and some people say it is hell on the car and other people say it doesn't hurt a thing, I don't think they are talking stock applications though.

Have any of you done any runs at the track to see what the difference is in times and that? This year at the track I have been running 13.6 @ 106 but last year (first run ever in it) I pulled off a 13.3 @ 108. Part of it I am wondering if doing the couple Seafoam treatments I have done has gunked up my cats and is causing issues. I know the other part is that our track isn't the greatest prepped, I have the tires spining all the way through first and second and just start to get traction back hitting third.

Anyone have any input? Vids I have seen guys are shifting at 6k and advoiding the limiter and that is the same range I am shifting at, but I lift a little just out of paranoia of banging the limiter.
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

You only want to Power or Speed shift if you want to win
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

ye if you want a new tranny
Old 09-02-2007 | 02:08 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Is there any other way to shift?

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/c5db7...df1fa8e099.htm

Brian
Old 09-02-2007 | 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ellis must be short of work or something.

You'll eat the synchros in your tranny if you make it a practice.
Old 09-02-2007 | 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

I power shifted anytime I was at the track, at the recommendation of Ellis, cut 3-4 tenths off my best times. Now I don't do anything else when racing In my 99 which was just k&n and headers dropped from a 13.9 to a 13.45 same day only difference was how I shifted, dropped the tire pressure to 25psi and did a short burnout in the box to clean off the tires. All after tips from various people on here.
Old 09-02-2007 | 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't do it if ya want to keep your tranny out of Ellis's hands. A quick shift will be just as effective. Go to the vetteforum in the Z06 section and check the sticky for Fast times, nobody in the top ten stock or stock cai/dr power shifts. It has been established that it really doesn't add to an ET for those that can bang the gears. But what does happen is if you miss time the shift your tranny will be hurtin for certn. You can see this by logging your runs and checking your time based parameters, fast speed shift is just as fast as holding it to the wood, with the added option of saving the gear box if ya mess up. But hey, I only hold 7th fastest m12/ls6 in the country stock on drs, not to mention the one in my sig, no brag just fact (both on stock original untouched tranny).

Without missing any gears speed shifting and the subsequent gear destroying grinding, your tranny will have a long life. All the runs and abuse my tranny has been through, it still shifts great, except now when really getin on it, it's hard to shift. Will be going to Ellis this winter for refreshing and steel forks and good keys (no gears needed), but this is normal wear and tear for what i do. So unless your a super shifter stay away from the full power shifting.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 09-02-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2007 | 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

i just shift with the quickness no powershifting here
Old 09-02-2007 | 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a run with quick shifting, a chirp of the tires even into 4th. Watch the nose, no diving at all. Sounds like an auto?

View Video on FQuick
Old 09-02-2007 | 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

yea powershifting kills the tranny and its gears.
speed shift guys. Unless you can afford it.
Old 09-02-2007 | 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

SO lets DEFINE what you are calling "Power Shifting" And "Speed Shifting"

Yes Absolute stupidty will kill a Transmission. I guess that is what all of you are calling "Power Shifting"?

IF you want to be fast and consistant you will need to Shift as fast as possible. I know people who go many years shifting this way with out hurting there transmissions. They win many races.

I could care less what you do with your transmission and have NO adtantage for you to tear it up.

I WILL tell you the people who win races on a regular Basis shift faster then anyone on those lists everyone is so pleased with.

I will not comment on the lack of driving skills I see many times over
Old 09-02-2007 | 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

So what is this then because I always considered it power shifting?

I leave the line and have the gas floored, at my shift point I push in the clutch/shift/release clutch fast enough that it doesn't hit the rev limiter a few hundred rpms away, but leave the gas floored. I've always been told by most to not lift and just shift as fast as possible. Is this the right way or wrong way?
Old 09-02-2007 | 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
SO lets DEFINE what you are calling "Power Shifting" And "Speed Shifting"

Yes Absolute stupidty will kill a Transmission. I guess that is what all of you are calling "Power Shifting"?

IF you want to be fast and consistant you will need to Shift as fast as possible. I know people who go many years shifting this way with out hurting there transmissions. They win many races.

I could care less what you do with your transmission and have NO adtantage for you to tear it up.

I WILL tell you the people who win races on a regular Basis shift faster then anyone on those lists everyone is so pleased with.

I will not comment on the lack of driving skills I see many times over
Correct, and thus my referal to super shifters. We, myself included, are just hobbiest racers, not professional, but some on the refered list are actually the best 6-speed drivers in the world, bar none. Check out the current Vette rag, they do a complete write up on fast shifting and ultimate fast times. Guess who they high light, yep, a top ten'r off the Z06 list. I will find the month and get full rag name for those that want to go fast, but not tear their trannies up. There is more to it than just being able to row the gears. I still maintain on a non full race car that full power shifting will for the most part gain nothing in the 1/4 ET.

Hitman, if ya are shifting like that and not missing any gears, you may want to seek a career as a drag race driver. few and far between that can actually do a full power shift time after time with missing a gear due to timing errors. Myself, I am not that brave.

Ellis, what is your definition of power shifting and/or speed shifting? Some day we'll have to get the tranny Guru behind the wheel of a 6-speed Z06 and see where he would place on the proposed questionable lists mentioned.

Robert
Old 09-02-2007 | 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

I shift as fast as I can while still lifting off the gas. When I powershift I usually aim to shift 200rpm sooner so that I don't hit the rev limiter, but I just prefer shifting as fast as I can and still lifting. The first time I took my Camaro to the track I would chirp the tires in 2 3 and 4. With the 315 nittos that went away When I drive my Volvo in all it's 15.0 seconds of fury, I chirp 2 and 3 with good tires. But, as soon as I have my project Volvo running, I will be using megasquirt to trigger spark drop when the clutch is depressed and WOT and above a certain RPM so that I can flatshift. Plus then it will shoot a nice fireball out the back whenever I don't lift and shift
Old 09-03-2007 | 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

I am tempted to try out the powershifting, but really don't have anything to practice with other than our Probe and it hates WOT as it is!

Maybe when I have some clink saved up that I could send the tranny off for refresh I will give it a shot. I always felt I shifted the car great, I never get any nose bounce from the videos I have seen. Chirping the tires isn't even a challenge either, so I figured I was doing it fast enough that it was still in the powerband. Just trying to figure out reason times have dropped. 60' hasn't really changed (still 2.2 ) and launching at about 2200 rpm with street tires. I know temp and that plays a huge part in it, but the GTP has seemed to gotten faster everytime I take it to the track while the TA seems to slip a little in times.
Old 09-03-2007 | 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If this wasn't my daily driver i might attempt it.
Old 09-03-2007 | 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The mag refered to is Corvette Fever, and it's the current one for sale. has all the info you would ever need to become a top notch m6/m12 driver. the tecniques work. I used the suggestions stated a time back, with these known working facts I was able to get the stock time in my sig on the 5th pass on DR. Wish I would have tried to get a better time, but that was it really, then on to the spray.
Robert
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

When I used to take my car to PR I never took my foot off the floor. Grip it and rip it.
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I quick shift as opposed to power shifting (I do let up the gas but I'm back in it before the clutch engages...)

I've tried both back to back and haven't seen a difference in ET after a year or two of racing, but I can't imagine I give it much time to fall off in RPM to the extent I still hit the next gear at higher RPM than what it's looking for letting the flywheel "hit" the gear hard (*chirp*).
Old 09-04-2007 | 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Full throttle power shift. Ran my car on the street and at the drags from 1994 to 2001 (so the It's going to break can get thrown out the friggin window). Sold the tranny (still going strong) to a guy doing a conversion in an impala. At first I did lift shift pretty damn fast but was always faster with a WOT shift, the rpms do not drop as far on the shifts (better extension) and I would miss a "lift shift" once in a while, and bam your out of the race. Generally, I would gain 3 tenths in the quarter over a easy lift shift. When the car was stock it gained about 2 tenths. I would imagine the faster you go the less you might notice a difference depending on rpm power band and weight. But in my case it was always a noticeable amount of difference keeping the hammer down.

Quick Reply: Any of you M6 guys powershift?