Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Parental nightmare this morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007 | 02:31 PM
Banned

Default Parental nightmare this morning

St. Helens Sch. Dist.: This morning the St. Helens School District received a report of a firearm on a school bus. 2 schools went into immediate lockdown and the St. Helens Police Department were contacted. After approx. 20 minutes the St. Helens Police determined that the report was incorrect and schools resumed their regular schedule.
My kids are in the 1st and 2nd grade. We were late getting there this morning thank god. I drop them off and they take the buss home. The police had the school blocked and would not say what was up other than lockdown. After the lock was lifted they still wouldnt tell me why. I get emergency notices direct to my email from the school district and found out when I got home. Jesus, 1st and 2nd and kindergarden are in that school only. You would think that they would be safe at that age but we just had a reality check here in small town USA. It was false alarm, but scary as **** for a parent none the less. I'm a little traumatized about it and my kids werent even there yet. But they should have been, I was late getting them there. It honestly makes me re-think guns.. and I have an sks that I love to shoot.
Old 10-25-2007 | 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

It was probably a drawing some kindergardener did of a "ray gun" and some lib freaked out - ZERO tolerance right?
Old 10-25-2007 | 04:00 PM
Banned

LMAO!! I hope so.
Old 10-25-2007 | 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
It was probably a drawing some kindergardener did of a "ray gun" and some lib freaked out - ZERO tolerance right?
I read one story about some kids running around playing cops and robbers and using their fingers as a gun and they were expelled. These were some 6 and 7 year old kids also.

Our nation is slowly becoming pussified. Especially when you can't play tag in some areas or flag football. You get hurt, you heal up and you go back and play, its how it worked for me 15 years ago.
Old 10-25-2007 | 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

We did all that stuff and more growing up and we turned out just fine..now that they don't allow it look what's happening?! We need to put the fear back into these kids...I ain't giving up my guns for no one...period...
Old 10-25-2007 | 08:10 PM
Banned

Got a letter home with the kids. The report came from a student that there was a gun on the bus. The student was questioned and it was verified that it was a
rifle scope and not a gun. They didnt find it or the kid who had it but the police are attempting to, to make sure this doesnt happen again.
Old 10-25-2007 | 08:13 PM
Banned

Isn't there a country song that says we turned out Ok. I can remember a day when if you wore a helmet on a bicycle you got your *** kicked for being a wuss. Now if you don't make a child wear one they arrest you for child neglect. What happened? We all got spanked growing up and even got paddled in school. We didn't wear helmets, played cops and robbers and there was 1st place, second place and third place everyone else lost and knew and understood that it meant try harder next time. No "participation trophy's. Sorry, I'm off my
Old 10-26-2007 | 05:48 AM
TECH Regular

The public school system is failing our children, plain and simple.

I remember being able to bring a BB-gun or a rifle of some sort to show and tell, so long as our parents had it approved with the principle and the teacher. Guns are no longer tools to these tools, because they see them as objects of evil. We use to take pride in owning a rifle as kids, and we sure as hell knew not to **** around because we were taught properly by our parents in how to handle them. The only thing that ever died to our rifles were innocent squirrels, for which we always later prayed forgiveness for after realizing we had harmed a harmless creature. We had consciences because our parents were morally straight in every shape and form and told us how things worked in the world, and how we were to act as human beings.

So, please don't re-think guns. Re-think parenting and make sure your children don't grow up to be scared of shadows and carbon emissions. Guns are tools, and you might have felt better knowing a reasonable person, say the principle, had a gun to protect your children in the event of a mad man showing up. Never the less, it didn't help that some tool kept you and the other parents out of the loop for so long.

Off my too
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
The public school system is failing our children, plain and simple.

I remember being able to bring a BB-gun or a rifle of some sort to show and tell, so long as our parents had it approved with the principle and the teacher. Guns are no longer tools to these tools, because they see them as objects of evil. We use to take pride in owning a rifle as kids, and we sure as hell knew not to **** around because we were taught properly by our parents in how to handle them. The only thing that ever died to our rifles were innocent squirrels, for which we always later prayed forgiveness for after realizing we had harmed a harmless creature. We had consciences because our parents were morally straight in every shape and form and told us how things worked in the world, and how we were to act as human beings.

So, please don't re-think guns. Re-think parenting and make sure your children don't grow up to be scared of shadows and carbon emissions. Guns are tools, and you might have felt better knowing a reasonable person, say the principle, had a gun to protect your children in the event of a mad man showing up. Never the less, it didn't help that some tool kept you and the other parents out of the loop for so long.

Off my too
Well said!
Old 10-31-2007 | 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Well said!
X2 i dont think it could have been said any better.
Old 10-31-2007 | 01:37 PM
Banned

Never the less guns have no place in 1st grade. I have guns. My kids know what they are. I have a wife. My kids have two parents and the stability of a good home. Not all kids he goes to school with do. In kindergarden his friend was telling him about the horse head scene from the Godfather. I cant control other peoples parents. Guns are weapons used by people with issues to kill innocent people. There is more to it than well in the old days it was like this.
I dont give a **** what was 50 years ago. Guns weren't safe back then either because you cant control the human factor.

Point: My uncles and aunts from Maine all grew up toting guns and hunting. But yet in a family of 22, 3 of the boys died from hunting accidents. And then some of their kids did the same. All were expert shots and knew fire arm saftey inside and out.
Ive had a friends mother kill her husband while we were in high school. Get this a cop helped her get the gun. I dont think he knew her plan. 32 cal. She had to reload to kill him she never hit a major organ he bled to death. He served her divorce papers on their anniversary.

There are a bunch of different angles to guns.
Heres one:

Do you want your kids to not come home from school because some kid with one parent doesn’t get enough attention or a kid with both parents who don’t really care about or pay attention to their kids... goes off the deep end?

This kid had a rifle scope. Harmless, very harmless but do you mean to tell me that there is only a scope at home? So maybe one day he thinks well I'll just bring the gun to show my friends. Not even an anger thing. Kids start looking at it, grabbing for it and it goes off. Kids aren’t responsible enough to have access to a gun. Sooner or later they will check it out on thier own. Hell we used to "borrow" my friends dads 357 all the time and shot stuff with it. From the bedroom window.... That’s in hi school... ******* stooooopid.

If you don’t have kids you don’t understand the thoughts that go through a parents mind who loves theirs kids. I've made bombs from my Dad's 12 gauge shells. Just for the explosion of it. Not to hurt or harm, but I could have been killed making them. See its a bigger picture that I see. I know what I did and I was fairly level headed.

Yes it makes me re-think guns. They are ******* very dangerous and we seem to take them to lightly as a society. 3 college kids killed a at party this week. At least two of the party goers had guns that they just carry at all times. Ya that’s wonderful.

Man killed few years ago in downtown Portland doing nothing at all. Just talking to his wife when a fight breaks out 2-3 blocks always. One of the punks takes a shot at the other and misses. The man is killed instantly while he's talking to his wife, bullet hit him in the head. They probably never even heard the shot.

Anyone want to tell those Amish kids parents that man had every right to carry those guns.

You close your eyes all you want. I know you cant protect from everything but there is an issue when you don’t look at the facts. Its a disease called denial. Does our constitution give us the right.. hell yes it does! But they didn’t grow up in today’s society. There weren’t cops back then and you needed to hunt for your food or protect yourself from it. Don’t confuse the past with the present. Like I said it makes me think. I didn’t say we need to get rid of them did I? No, I didn’t. I said think. You remain unconscious if you want.

Blame the school system. Thats always the first excuse. How about we blame the parents instead. They are the one responsible for thier own kids. I coach, I know how parents and kids are. If the parent is ignorant, the kid doesnt stand much of a chance of being otherwise.

And you know that old saying you'll loose an eye. Yep had classmate/friend do that as well with a dart. You cant control kids and they are stupid until they are like 26 or so. Immature until in the 30's

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-31-2007 at 01:48 PM.