Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

maaco question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default maaco question

I have a buddy of mine who is gonna help me with bodywork on my car.

my question is i hear all these stories about how bad maaco is but would you trust them to just spray the paint. I will be providing the paint.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

From what I understand about them is the crap paint stories are due to not prepping the surface properly first and curing. If those are not done right you will waste paint you bought to have them do it.

There are some good body and paint shops for decent prices (some are less because they do a ton of insurance claim jobs so 'walk in' customers can get it done for less) so its worth checking a couple that are close to you.

And then there is a member here that knows a great paint and body place, check some of the posts in here using search for "paint and body work"
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Thumbs up

Good advice gearhed! I would take his advice.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

When it comes to paint and bodywork I believe you generaly get what you pay for. Maaco does ok work if youre fine with that then i'm sure it would be ok.
If they're only painting part of the car it will be pretty obvious as they don't blend or feather very good. There will be overspray on all your parts, a few runs here and there, fisheyes, etc etc.

IMO a very nice "whole car" paintjob that is brought to them COMPLETELY prepped is still going to cost at least 1k and that is if you bring them the paint and all supplies. And if you go that route and you missed any blemishes in the body prior to painting it will show up badly in your new paint and the painter will not be responsible for it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SbodymanS
Good advice gearhed! I would take his advice.
Dude.......GEARHED is a woman!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen a car come out of there real nice, BUT every piece of prep work was done before it went in, everything taped, sanded and removed. The spray good and that is about it.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dad hit a deer once and his boss paid to take the truck to Maaco (back in 89) His paint job lasted less than 4 years before it oxidized...no joke...that was sad..I'd never take anything there..

Ask Zeke (dr evyl) where he takes his car, they do a really good job..
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
My dad hit a deer once and his boss paid to take the truck to Maaco (back in 89) His paint job lasted less than 4 years before it oxidized...no joke...that was sad..I'd never take anything there..

Ask Zeke (dr evyl) where he takes his car, they do a really good job..

I would take a FORD there

JK
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maaco is quite literally the McDonalds of the automotive world. This is reflected both in pricing and quality.

Sure, I would consider using them on my little commuter Metro, but if you bring a car with any shred of value to Maaco ... you need to get your head checked.

How about you post up a more approximate location and we can throw you suggestions based on locale? I had the Cobra's rear bumper painted after a small collision by "Precision Collision" in Arlington. They're a franchise with locations all over the sound including Everett and Redmond.

Top notch for the price.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

I live in kingston across the ferry from edmonds... I really dont think i would ever take my car to maaco i was just throwin the idea around in my head. all whoever i take it to would need to do is spray.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO the biggest thing is the people behind the prep and paint guns. The Maaco down here actually does very nice work. I took a left turn at the last second when I went to get my rear quarter done and stopped at a Chevy dealer here, thinking I'd get a "factory quality" paint job and it came out like crap.

You do kinda get what you pay for though in other ways. If you only pay for a single-stage paint w/ no clearcoat, it won't last long and cannot handle any neglect if you aren't on top of it all the time.

Quick Reply: maaco question