Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Washington / Seattle area members question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raceme@you'dlose.com
I have lived all over the world (the army will do that to you) and the nicest places I have lived is here, Colorado Springs and Germany. The weather here and Germany is a lot alike. Yes it rains and that gets a little old sometimes but its not Usually a heavy rain just light and steady. The summers are nice but dry for the most part. The winters are mild. The down side is mostly just the people that think the fast lane is where they drive 60 and if it does snow most of them can't drive in it. The only other thing that gets to me personally is I'm from the midwest originally so the views of some the people out here and the customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I bought a house and plan on retiring out here though because the good outweighs the bad.
I agree Germany is as near to Western Washington as any place I have lived. The only other difference I would mention is the clearer separation of seasons. Winters were colder with considerably more snow. I hear it has changed a lot since East and West merged back.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NW94Z
I agree Germany is as near to Western Washington as any place I have lived. The only other difference I would mention is the clearer separation of seasons. Winters were colder with considerably more snow. I hear it has changed a lot since East and West merged back.
Yea, Germany gets a lot colder and has a lot more snow. I was in Germany when it merged and it was nearly an overnight change. It was really wierd. It's still a great place to live but its different somehow. I can't place a finger on what exactly changed but it was significant. I lived over there for 9 years and I have a lot of German friends and my wife is German so maybe I just noticed it more.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raceme@you'dlose.com
Yea, Germany gets a lot colder and has a lot more snow. I was in Germany when it merged and it was nearly an overnight change. It was really wierd. It's still a great place to live but its different somehow. I can't place a finger on what exactly changed but it was significant. I lived over there for 9 years and I have a lot of German friends and my wife is German so maybe I just noticed it more.
I lived near Stuttgart (little place called Vaihingen) from 84 to 87, my father was stationed there. I liked the structure and cleanliness of the country. Very well organized and run as compared to places like Italy where it seems anything goes. I look forward to going back one day and seeing how things have changed. I ran into a German family from the Heidelberg area this past March in Pensacola and they were telling me that one of the largest changes they have witnessed is an increase in poverty due to the influx of East Germans with low income and a lack of modern skillsets to put to good use.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Launching!

DO NOT MOVE TO WA STATE!!! Theres a reason why WA has the highest suicide rate in the US. Think of all the musicians from here that ended up dyin.......there is no sun. I'm originally from CA and I've never been so depressed in my life since being stationed in WA! I absolutely hate it!
You do have a girl though, it is good weather for couples to cuddle up in....I guess.
I hate it, but good luck with your decision! oh, if you own an LS1........ooo it is not the right state for one. My TA just takes a beating from the weather and is horrible in the 24-7 rain. If you live in WA, you need to own an SUV or some sort of All-Terrain vehicle.
The only way WA could be fun is for 4-wheeling, and all the outdoors activities........but no reason to do all that if its pooring rain every day, in my opinion ...dont wash your car, no point lol
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Are you smoking dope. or just spitting stuff out without the facts? Do you really think because Curt Cobain killed himself over a decade ago, that means we have a hgh suicide rate?

States with highest suicide rates
1. Alaska
2. Nevada
3. New Mexico
4. Montana
5. Wyoming
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KTamez
Are you smoking dope. or just spitting stuff out without the facts? Do you really think because Curt Cobain killed himself over a decade ago, that means we have a hgh suicide rate?

States with highest suicide rates
1. Alaska
2. Nevada
3. New Mexico
4. Montana
5. Wyoming
He might be in the military and for that narrow group Washington does have the highest suicide rate at least in the Army not sure about the others but they are probably very similar. But for the whole state Washington's is fairly high but I don't believe it even makes the top ten.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

If thats the case then I'm sorry, but for the general population it doesn't look like its anywhere near the top....
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at moving north of the major cities (Bellevue/Seattle) you can look forward to the single most shitty commute on the planet. I live 21 miles north of my office (Right smack dab in Downtown Bellevue) in a little area called Mill Creek. On a GOOD day it will take an 45 minutes to an hour. Rain.........2 hours.

House prices even up north are rediculous. Western wa hasnt done what the rest of the country has as far as home prices. Our prices are still going up and one real estate magazine said that the greater seattle area is "the next san fransisco". 500-750K houses are common in the north end. And even further north in the Marysville and Mt. Vernon are starting to get them put in. I drive by subdivisions ever day in my area with banners outside that say "FROM THE LOW 600's!!!!", like its some kind of smokin hot deal for a 3000sq ft house on a piece of land the size of a postage stamp. And never mind the fact that you can stand in your bathroom and pee through your neighbors window and get it in his toilet without spilling a drop. They pretty much build the houses on top of each other.

The weather isnt that bad. The summers are gordeous and it never gets TO hot. Nothing like norcal or tejas. Maybe a couple days during the summer over 100 but mostly 75-85. Right now the weather is **** though, raining like a mafaka and the other day western wa almot floated out to sea. Winter time only has a few bad days but whats cool is that if "1 of snow hits the ground and sticks......the area completely shuts down.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
If you look at moving north of the major cities (Bellevue/Seattle) you can look forward to the single most shitty commute on the planet. I live 21 miles north of my office (Right smack dab in Downtown Bellevue) in a little area called Mill Creek. On a GOOD day it will take an 45 minutes to an hour. Rain.........2 hours.

House prices even up north are rediculous. Western wa hasnt done what the rest of the country has as far as home prices. Our prices are still going up and one real estate magazine said that the greater seattle area is "the next san fransisco". 500-750K houses are common in the north end. And even further north in the Marysville and Mt. Vernon are starting to get them put in. I drive by subdivisions ever day in my area with banners outside that say "FROM THE LOW 600's!!!!", like its some kind of smokin hot deal for a 3000sq ft house on a piece of land the size of a postage stamp. And never mind the fact that you can stand in your bathroom and pee through your neighbors window and get it in his toilet without spilling a drop. They pretty much build the houses on top of each other.
Pretty much agree 100% spot on. Work in Redmond live in Mill Creek (Gold Creek) and my commute on a good day is 35-40 minutes and an hour plus on a bad day.

Homes are going up here left and right (over a dozen new subdivisions) on one stretch of road (39th I believe). I have seen a decline though in the speed of building and this Fall prices in my neighborhood stopped skyrocketing and leveled to some extent. Regardless I've still seen roughly a 200k appreciation in my home value over just the last two years. Hope the trend continues. I'll be able to escape that much quicker.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Well speeking from the Navy point of veiw. And me being in Safety, We have Suicides, but they are far and few between. Mostly we get people that are dying from driving while intoxicated. I personally love it up here. And I grew up in Az, were we got maybe if we are lucky 6 inches of rain in one year. I can remember numerous times, not even getting 2 inches of rain in a year.

Lane
Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Trans
DO NOT MOVE TO WA STATE!!! Theres a reason why WA has the highest suicide rate in the US. Think of all the musicians from here that ended up dyin.......there is no sun. I'm originally from CA and I've never been so depressed in my life since being stationed in WA! I absolutely hate it!
You do have a girl though, it is good weather for couples to cuddle up in....I guess.
I hate it, but good luck with your decision! oh, if you own an LS1........ooo it is not the right state for one. My TA just takes a beating from the weather and is horrible in the 24-7 rain. If you live in WA, you need to own an SUV or some sort of All-Terrain vehicle.
The only way WA could be fun is for 4-wheeling, and all the outdoors activities........but no reason to do all that if its pooring rain every day, in my opinion ...dont wash your car, no point lol
You must be a member of the lesser Seattle crowd. Their motto is don't ever say anything good about the area. People may want to move here.........

Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Trans
If you live in WA, you need to own an SUV or some sort of All-Terrain vehicle.
I disagree with the SUV point. if you park it in the crapitol hill neighborhood it will get vandalized by the enviro-whacos. those people are some twisted, ****, SOB's that believe man has no place in nature(unless on foot), much less in/on any kind of machine. they blame 'global warming"(all BS) the Iraq war and the high price of gas on them.

secondly, the same group has pushed legislation taking away more areas once used for off-roading in this state than any other. it's really sad the freedom they've taken away in the name of environmental sainthood and their religion.
these people will do nothing short of terrorist activities to get their way, and they do.

this comes from someone who has been in off-roading, jeeps, dirtbikes, quads, and seen it all happen in this state.

rant off.

Last edited by AndreS; 12-07-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tails
You must be a member of the lesser Seattle crowd. Their motto is don't ever say anything good about the area. People may want to move here.........

Doesn't matter, they move here anyway and it's not the lesser Seattle crowd, it's the native Washingtonians that don't want eveyrone moving here.. Since the big rush of Californian's of the late 80's...This state has just gone downhill...
Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

The "Lesser Seattle" crowd was headed up by the late Emmett Watson of from the PI. I am a native and love that the Californians have raised the price of my house 5 fold. As long as I don't have to buy another one.

I just wish we could drag year round.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im from San Mateo, i love the bay area.. but seattle is just as nice.. much more green here and the summers here are HARD to beat .. how about issaquah? thats close to bellevue