Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

May have to put the entire stable up for sale..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zeke, I'll talk to my brother and see if they have any openings with the company he works for. It's mostly field work though.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Well, I registered on USAJobs and posted my resume. Again, I can't even tell if I'm qualified for any of the jobs listed, some of them don't even say what the job is. How people get through this mess is beyond me.
Well this is what I tell my wife, that was looking for a job. If you send in a resume, or do what you did, and post it on the net, You need to follow it up, don't just post it thinking that they will be in contact with you. You have to show intiative and be proactive on it.

After helping my wife, she had a job within 2 weeks time.

Every job I have ever applied for, I have gotten it. Because I would turn in my resume or application, and follow up the next day. If nothing came of it, I would follow up the day after that, and so forth. Sooner or later they will notice you, and be like man, this guy is annoying... lol, but in reality, thats what bosses look for. someone to want something bad enough and work for it.

I am not saying you are like my wife. I am just saying stay on top of it, even if it is over the internet, call the place that is hiring, and tell them you want to speak with the boss, let him know that you posted a resume up, and that you wanna know if he has had the time to look at it or not..
Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crazylane

Every job I have ever applied for, I have gotten it. Because I would turn in my resume or application, and follow up the next day. If nothing came of it, I would follow up the day after that, and so forth. Sooner or later they will notice you, and be like man, this guy is annoying... lol, but in reality, thats what bosses look for. someone to want something bad enough and work for it.
Sometimes we get really annoyed and toss your resume in the trash and have reception screen your calls.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Well that sucks. I'll check around here and see if there's anything.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazylane
Well this is what I tell my wife, that was looking for a job. If you send in a resume, or do what you did, and post it on the net, You need to follow it up, don't just post it thinking that they will be in contact with you. You have to show intiative and be proactive on it.

After helping my wife, she had a job within 2 weeks time.

I am not saying you are like my wife. I am just saying stay on top of it, even if it is over the internet, call the place that is hiring, and tell them you want to speak with the boss, let him know that you posted a resume up, and that you wanna know if he has had the time to look at it or not..

Well, as I said... in order to even follow up on it, I have to apply for the job, and if I can't even figure out what the job is or if I'm qualified, that makes it a little tough. All these acronyms and codes and federal mumbo jumbo make these ads pretty non-sensical.

For example:
Incumbent participates in management of the Fort Lewis Laptop Lifecycle program including database management, equipment procurement, receipt, and coordination and issue process with supported units in the program. Coordinate and assist with IS and other ABCS equipment fielding and NET for FORSCOM MSCs units. Review, coordinate and facilitate FORSCOM unit IT and communication requirements through DOIM or other IMCOM organizations, and assist to resolve incompatibility issues to meet Army mission requirements. Manage organic MSE TDA automation equipment, and validate and approve internal Capability Requests, perform automation equipment acquisition, and distribute automation systems internal to support IT requirements. Monitor Army Signal transformation and disseminate critical and routine MTOE personnel and equipment modifications to MSCs, and coordinate or facilitate resources to support their change requirements.
Oh yeah, I really understand what the **** that says.

Am I qualified for it? Maybe.. but there's no way I'd ever know. Most of the IT jobs require security clearances, and it would be very difficult for me to get one at this point in life.

Besides, it's not like I'm fresh out of the military and looking for a job, I've been in the civilian job world for 17 years, and for 14 of those years I've been doing technical support or IT work. I am fairly well versed on what I need to do to get a job. But no.. I'm not gonna hound people, like Joe said that's a good way to get your resume thrown in the trash.

In my industry that's a sign of desparation... so is wearing a suit to a job interview.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 02-27-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Fucked up news Zeke!!! I have some ex Boieng friends in IT, I'll ask around.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Oh and what's your target salary?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that Zeke. If it helps any you are not alone
Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

http://www.ringpinion.com/JobDetails.aspx?JobID=77

but you have to pee in a cup.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Teching In

What's wrong with showing up to a job interview in a suit? I think that is very professional and even though the job might not have a dress code, it is still fashionable to wear a suit to an interview.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Clevejason
What's wrong with showing up to a job interview in a suit? I think that is very professional and even though the job might not have a dress code, it is still fashionable to wear a suit to an interview.
Nothing is wrong with it, it's just not common protocal in the IT world in this area. If you wear a suit to an interview it's commonly assumed that you either (a) aren't as skilled as you say you are, or (b) you're trying to kiss up to the interviewer.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
teh PuRpL3z

I'd love to check it out, but I'd be looking at another 90 minute commute and a $20+/day gas bill. I kinda have to stay withing the Seattle / Bellevue area or I'll go broke just driving to work.

but you have to pee in a cup.
Now that's just retarded.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best wishes Zeke, cant help you out, wish I could even though we clashed I would never wish this on anyone. I got laid off from IBM 5-7 years ago now.... worst feeling in the world to be jobless and have bills to pay. Hopefully something will come your way soon
Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Well, this isn't like I got laid off. I voluntarily quit my job... so this is my own stupid fault.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Were you able to find a job or are the cars now up for sale?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
teh PuRpL3z

I haven't found a job yet, no. I got a bit of a temporary repreive that tied me over for a bit, but it's looking pretty dismal at this point and I don't think I'm gonna be able to avoid putting the cars up for sale if something doesn't pan out this week.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That just blows. Sorry man.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Ya know, at this point, I dunno if I would even be bothered by it. The last couple weeks have been a really fantastic time for me...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't ls2.com paying all the bills?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As sensitive as ever Ryan

Quick Reply: May have to put the entire stable up for sale..