Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

GC 0w30 anywhere around lakewood??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC 0w30 anywhere around lakewood??

So the previous owner of my car, judging from the oil change sticker on the window, ran Castrol GTX 10w30. Car has 90k on it. I'm thinking I want to change to either Pennzoil Platinum, or preferably German Castrol 0w30 on my next oil change, which will be soon. But... I haven't seen GC ANYWHERE around here.
Was just curious if anyone knew if it's sold around the lakewood/mcchord afb area at all.

I get the infamous LS1 tick on occasion, not bad, and usually on cold mornings the most. So I'd like to try the GC, since most UOA's show it to be the absolute king of Oils for the LS1, and might also quiet the valvetrain down a lil.
If not, PP should be a lil easier to find.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboXL
So the previous owner of my car, judging from the oil change sticker on the window, ran Castrol GTX 10w30. I'm thinking I want to change to either Pennzoil Platinum, or preferably German Castrol 0w30 on my next oil change, which will be soon. But... I haven't seen GC ANYWHERE around here.
Was just curious if anyone knew if it's sold around the lakewood/mcchord afb area at all.

I get the infamous LS1 tick on occasion, not bad, and usually on cold mornings the most. So I'd like to try the GC, since most UOA's show it to be the absolute king of Oils for the LS1, and might also quiet the valvetrain down a lil.
If not, PP should be a lil easier to find.
Time to switch off dino oils and put pure synthetic in it. Mobile 1 is what I use, mostly because Costco has it for $25 a six pack.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Ya, I've been lurkin around the oil/filter threads on here(theres a bajillion!) and that definitely seems to be the best bet. I just hope I don't start spotting any leaks I didn't have before, switching to synthetic. Thats the only part that has me a little skeptical of the GC crowd. They say run it even in higher mileage motors... never seen a High Mileage motor that liked synthetic. But I'll give it a try seeing as it's oil analysis test show its so good on the engine.
am curious if any local guys kno of a place that still carries German Castrol tho.
I've never used Mobil 1, but I know a lot of guys do and have no problems. But I figured I'd start at the top of Patman's list, GC and Penzoil Platinum, first. If I can't get a hold of those, guess I'm going Mobil 1 or regular Castrol Syntec.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

I used to buy GC at autozone near University place on Bridgeport. I ran mobile 1 for years, but recently switched the penzoil platnium and I think the car is quieter and a little smoother. It does make a difference on what brand and weight you use on the ticking, using 0w-anything I had more ticking.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Well I'm thinking of trying the 0w for a bit and see how she likes it. Since its thinner at colder temps, should be a lil easier for the engine in the cold mornings and at startup. But if not, I'll just use that opportunity to seafoam it lol, since gotta change it again after that I'll try somethin else should it not go over well.
Thanks, I'll check out that Autozone.

Quick Reply: GC 0w30 anywhere around lakewood??