Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for one of my killer 408's
Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Well, Just because its not connected to the crank, doesn't mean that its not pushing it up. That rod probly got wacked a couple hundred times as the engine was screaching to a hault. I'll guess that more than a few hits pushed it toward the top of the cylinder. Your first post didn't even note that the piston had rotated in the cylinder. You assumed that we were saying the valve had moved around?

So really you can keep your remotely correct assesment to yourself.

In my opinion, this is a classic example of rod failure due to rod failure.

Ryan K.
Thanks buddy Good luck with your racecar this year
Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Well, Just because its not connected to the crank, doesn't mean that its not pushing it up. That rod probly got wacked a couple hundred times as the engine was screaching to a hault. I'll guess that more than a few hits pushed it toward the top of the cylinder. Your first post didn't even note that the piston had rotated in the cylinder. You assumed that we were saying the valve had moved around?

So really you can keep your remotely correct assesment to yourself.

In my opinion, this is a classic example of rod failure due to rod failure.

Ryan K.
Ryan Nailed it on the head

The rod usually breaks right under the piston at the pin. In the first rotionation it is not short enough to exit the cylinder. I have seen sone that never did exit the cylinder.

SO at this point it is still going up and down IN The cylinder and it is pushing on the skirt of the piston. This is when the marks are made you see here. The rod pushes the piston up and the the valve pushes it down. What happens next is the rod starts to bend from bottoming the piston out on the head or fatigue from the initail break and finally exits the bore swinging around and breaking the block ,other rod and piston, Oil pan and in many cases the cam shaft also.

Rod failure and complete devistaion. Always sad to see no mater who's engine it is. When Powder rods fail they fail spectacularly!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out of town for the last couple days but got back tonight and pulled the piston.

The metal shavings are from me drilling the piston to pull it out. The rod punched a hole in both sides of my block.

Quick Reply: Head removal. One bolt away...I think