Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

cam swap info help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 04:29 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb cam swap info help!!

well i have been wel on the road to midding my TA for some time. and since i have been out at sea i have saved up so do-rea-me and its starting to get hot in my pocket. i was noticing that several companies are having cam swap sales with seals, cam, and new springs. speed inc i sthe one i am teh most interested in as i have delt with them before and only had great results.

i am wondering if i should change out lifters since i have the common ls1 tick. also i am thinkin about what duration of cam and everything like that i should go with. i hav edone alil bit of reading that told me that alobe sep of 112 is more ideal for teh standard trans cars which is what i have is teh good ol m6. i was thinking about a 230/230 or a 240/240 on 112 of lobe seperation. something that will have anice idle. i am not really interste din doinga cam swap if it keeps teh stock idle even though some of them make awesoem power for what they are.

also how hard is it to do a cam swap on these cars of ours??? i have never done a swap before and all to top it off. should i just check into ashopp doing it??? i would rather do it my self and learn but if it is just too big of a job then i migh not be able to do it due to lack of a work space.

i am for sure going to be getting subframe connectors if nothing else but i am really interested in doing this cam swap. i drive the car daily but since i live on bas eits no big deal since teher is no commute to work. just when i feel ike going some where. any and all input wil be apprechiated. o i do plan on a lil bit of forced induction after deployment next year
Old 06-29-2008 | 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

There is alot of information out there. If you have an A-4 you are going to want a higher stall converter. A Cam swap is not all that hard to do, But you need to have the right tools and then you are going to need to do some tuning when it is installed. If you want it all done including the tuning I would recommend calling Ellis. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2008 | 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

www.ls1howto.com
Old 06-29-2008 | 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

I've done about 10 LS1 cams & with the right tools it aint bad. howtoLS1 is a good source of info. Without the right tools, I'd call Elis....
Old 06-30-2008 | 12:32 AM
8 Second Club

Would I do the lifters? No.
A cam swap is pretty easy work with the right tools. I think you can handle it just you that write-up and get an experienced member to maybe lend you a hand.
As far as picking a cam I would try to drive some peoples cars around that have one done and asses how much drivability issues you are willing to deal with. I have a 6-sp car cam only with a t-rex(242/248 .608 .612) in it if you wanted to try that out.
Good luck with your search!