Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Sinc everyone is doing clutches....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sinc everyone is doing clutches....

Going to R&R the clutch in my daughters 91 RS Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows a place close to Mill Creek/ Clearview/ Snohomish that can turn the flywheel? I'm trying to eliminate as much downtime as possible. The goal is to have the car finished by Saturday late afternoon.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Call me when you need it
Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i wish you luck... my clutch swap has been a royal PITA... doesnt help that im a rookie
Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Call me when you need it
If all goes well I expect to have the flywheel off by noonish. Then it's just a matter of putting it all back together. Do you think I should consider anything with the hydraulics? At least bleeding them.

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
lol i wish you luck... my clutch swap has been a royal PITA... doesnt help that im a rookie

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts. I think the hardest part will be getting to the bolts on top of the bellhousing or tranny (may separate it from the bellhousing to make access easier) and then actually getting the tranny down and out of the way by myself with a jack. Everything else should be accessible and pretty straight forward.

This will be my first clutch install what could go wrong....
Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NW94Z

This will be my first clutch install what could go wrong....
LOL!!! DONT say that! haha im getting my *** kicked by my clutch..
taking the tranny out of the bellhousing seems like it was the easiest way.. and youll need like 2 feet of extension
Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

find my clutch thread in the manual section if you want pics and some good info.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Teching In

find my clutch thread in the manual section if you want pics and some good info.
Just finished reading your write up on your clutch install. Holy GEEEZ man talk about a saga. Definitely does not give me a warm fuzzy when contemplating doing the job myself. Getting the tranny off and on sounds like a two person job. I'll be dealing with a T-5 which I believe is considerably lighter but now you have me worried. I've gotta have this done in one day start to finish. Maybe I'll just take it to a shop and have them do the work.

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

lol, i just ran into constant problems... and a lot of it comes from my inexperience i believe... theres no WAY i could physically do the trans install by my self... right now we've got a neat set up... we got a jack holding the rear of the tranny, and a smaller CTS spare tire jack ontop of a dolley holding the front of of the tranny... we just adjusted both heights until we were able to slide the input shaft in... now we have the slave sitting against the PP, and have 1 more inch until the tranny is sitting flush with the bellhousing... SO CLOSE!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could write a book with all the fun I had my first clutch swap saga similar to Sideway's on my first Mustang. It involved a dremel.

I know what needs to be done now and know paying a professional like Ellis is worth the money for the time and frustration saved. Working on cars can be fun, however time spent on the road is always better.

Best of luck. It's always a great feeling once you button the car up yourself.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Teching In

lol, i just ran into constant problems... and a lot of it comes from my inexperience i believe... theres no WAY i could physically do the trans install by my self... right now we've got a neat set up... we got a jack holding the rear of the tranny, and a smaller CTS spare tire jack ontop of a dolley holding the front of of the tranny... we just adjusted both heights until we were able to slide the input shaft in... now we have the slave sitting against the PP, and have 1 more inch until the tranny is sitting flush with the bellhousing... SO CLOSE!!!!!!
Sounds like your past the worst. Sometimes little things like trying to line up dowels or holes to run bolts through while not complicated can be a real pain in the ***. Once it's done though it always feels good.

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
I could write a book with all the fun I had my first clutch swap saga similar to Sideway's on my first Mustang. It involved a dremel.

I know what needs to be done now and know paying a professional like Ellis is worth the money for the time and frustration saved. Working on cars can be fun, however time spent on the road is always better.

Best of luck. It's always a great feeling once you button the car up yourself.
Damn no more clutch install horror stories or suggestions of such.

I agree on the great feeling once completing a job. In the last 6 weeks since picking this car up for my daughter I have replaced all the original suspension (had my own saga getting the front lower a arms back on with the springs), new steering (center link, tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints etc...), new brakes including front rotors with a bearing rebuild, window motor and a cooling/ fan issue that took me 4 weeks to trouble shoot and resolve. Gotta say it's been a lot of fun and rewarding.

Now i just have to get past this clutch. new one came in today so i should be set for Saturday. Ellis what's your going rate for Saturdays.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL sorry to say....but i mis-aligned my clutch, and im back at square 1!!!!!
Somone tell me why i waste my time with this crap!?!??!?!?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Teching In

LOL sorry to say....but i mis-aligned my clutch, and im back at square 1!!!!!
Somone tell me why i waste my time with this crap!?!??!?!?
Really sorry to see that, but I wouldn't say your back at square one. Square one would be pulling the tranny off. Your more in the middle. I'll check your other post to see what went wrong.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

lol feels like square 1 man...
but i guess i cant feel too negative, i've definitly made my share of mistakes with this deal so i've learned a ton...

i have a question: when i was tightening my PP down, i think i used too much thread lock b/c it started dripping down the flywheel and what not... when i took off everything again, it looks like some thread locker got on the clutch disc and has dried on to both side... not a ton, but its clearly visible and i tried rubbing it off but its dry.... am i in trouble?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Teching In

lol feels like square 1 man...
but i guess i cant feel too negative, i've definitly made my share of mistakes with this deal so i've learned a ton...

i have a question: when i was tightening my PP down, i think i used too much thread lock b/c it started dripping down the flywheel and what not... when i took off everything again, it looks like some thread locker got on the clutch disc and has dried on to both side... not a ton, but its clearly visible and i tried rubbing it off but its dry.... am i in trouble?
I saw you ask this in your other thread. I honestly don't know the answer. When I read stuff about not having any grease or lubricant of any kind on the clutch I stop and wonder sometimes about how much is to much. I can see having lots of oil or grease being a bad thing but a smudge or two here or there....? I would think it would burn off after a few uses of the clutch. So last night I was reading the instructions that came with the new clutch and it went into some detail about adjusting the pivot on the fork and measuring clearances with a feeler gauge. Did you do any of this? Everything I have read online suggests people just remove the old clutch bolt up the new one and call it a day.

Maybe Ellis will chime in with some answers?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

nah, never read anything about the feeler gauge.. you would think they'd come from the manufacturer ready to bolt on..
Man i REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope i didnt mess up the clutch disc with that thread lock
Old 07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

thats cool u live in mill creek, im pretty close... i live right off of 145th... i like to call it "Sea-shore"
Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Teching In

thats cool u live in mill creek, im pretty close... i live right off of 145th... i like to call it "Sea-shore"
Where exactly is 145th? I'm off of Snohomish-Cascade. About 12 minutes from the New Mill Creek town center. I'd come over and give you a hand if I didn't have so much to get done between now and Monday night. Came home early today to go to an orientation dinner for my daughters College, taking my son to the airport tomorrow night, clutch job Saturday, Car show Sunday, work Monday and I fly out to Texas Monday night for the rest of the week. If your still working on your clutch when I get back I'll stop by.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

its right before northgate mall..
HOPEFULLY ill have the clutch done before that
maybe if you need a hand your self i can stop by... id love to break in the new clutch
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

oh yeah, the guy at spec said to just use some sand paper over the stained areas..
So got the clutch back in, ITS DEFINITLY ALIGNED!!! kept the alingment tool in through out the whole torquing down process (i obviously screwed that up the first time )
got the clutch housing on, and now im off the get some FOOD!!! and then me and my buddy are going to try and get the tranny in
Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try and get the tranny in
Wah wah.

At this point I'm not sure if I'd be saying "try".

=P

Last edited by Tylerb59; 07-17-2008 at 08:56 PM.