Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Want faster internet, the best tv you can get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 01:41 AM
Launching!

Default Want faster internet, the best tv you can get?

Finally some solid competition for the big C.
Any questions just ask, if interested hit me up.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...sh-awards.html
Old 08-19-2008 | 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thats just Shameless
Old 08-19-2008 | 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

I need to find out when I can dump DirectTV....
Old 08-19-2008 | 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Unfortunately I don't think our apartment has been upgraded yet. My parents house just had verizon out in there neighborhood running a bunch of new cabling for FiOS. I definately wouldn't mind the 50Mbps downloads or the nice upstream either. Especially since I'm looking at getting a lil Mac Mini with OS X Server and hosting all my websites on it.
Old 08-19-2008 | 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

They have their sites set on Auburn anytime in the near future? After going several rounds and several lines with Qwest I'm ready to gnaw my leg off to escape contract...
Old 08-19-2008 | 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
They have their sites set on Auburn anytime in the near future? After going several rounds and several lines with Qwest I'm ready to gnaw my leg off to escape contract...

Unfortunately no. They're not considering building out of franchise.....as of now.
Old 08-20-2008 | 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Can anyone tell me why the US has the lowest speeds on the planet when it comes to "technologically advanced" western countries? My boss' wife is from Japan and they have the internet for REAL over there. Our speeds don't even compare. Comcast, Qwest, Clearwire, and Verizon can all suck it until they catch up.
Old 08-20-2008 | 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by howierd42
Can anyone tell me why the US has the lowest speeds on the planet when it comes to "technologically advanced" western countries? My boss' wife is from Japan and they have the internet for REAL over there. Our speeds don't even compare. Comcast, Qwest, Clearwire, and Verizon can all suck it until they catch up.

Yes, we have the oldest infrastructures because we were the first to build them and they cost a shitload to upgrade. The poorest, most backwards countries have the latest tech because their first generation is just now being installed.
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

I work for Comcast. As soon as the digital conversion happens you'll see some serious standard speeds out there.
Old 08-20-2008 | 08:24 PM
Launching!

As long as you're not too far away from the node.

Docsis 3.0 will be good for cable users as long as not too many people go full throttle at once.

It'll be a broadband war for sure however fttp has almosty unlimited bandwitdth potential vs. CATV networks.
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Chad just hooked mine up yesterday. Amazing!!! My internet is 10X faster (according to the Bit-O-Meter, my eyeball says it's at least 3X) and my HD TV picture is significantly better than what satellite gave me. Plus I'm getting more stuff for less $. Thanx dude!
Old 10-08-2008 | 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firehawk618
Finally some solid competition for the big C.

no such thing !!!!!

in the dozen or so places I've lived in the US
I've never been anywhere where you had more than one choice for cable,
or high speed internet

we have comcast where I live,
if you want soemthing else, you gotta get a dish (and clearwire, which is slow)
Old 10-08-2008 | 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firehawk618
Docsis 3.0 will be good for cable users as long as not too many people go full throttle at once.
Thats my problem in Buckley, evenings are brutal. I ran a pathping and some routers are passing packets, they really need more switches.
Old 10-08-2008 | 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't even get cable internet, heck...cable tv for that mater. I have Embarq DSL and Dish TV. The Dish satelite TV isn't bad, but my god, I might as well be on dial up.
Old 10-08-2008 | 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

We stuck with Comcast in our area and just did the 16mbps upgrade for the internet (no need for HDTV yet ) and we've hit 21mbps on a couple different speedtest sites and the downloads show it too. I can't even imagine what FiOS must be like for uploading. With the large number of 2-5MB photos I upload to my sites it goes by faster than it did before but that's still only a 1.5-2mbps upstream. I think some FiOS packages give you 5?
Old 10-08-2008 | 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
We stuck with Comcast in our area and just did the 16mbps upgrade for the internet (no need for HDTV yet ) and we've hit 21mbps on a couple different speedtest sites and the downloads show it too. I can't even imagine what FiOS must be like for uploading. With the large number of 2-5MB photos I upload to my sites it goes by faster than it did before but that's still only a 1.5-2mbps upstream. I think some FiOS packages give you 5?
If they gave you power boost it does boost the initial few megs of your download to about 15Mbps but then the rest dropps back down to regular speed. Speedtests aren't much good because they'll be fooled by the "boost". It all still relies on how busy your node is in the neighborhood.

Yeah i'm on the 20Mb/5Mb and it's amazing how fast and reliable it is. Doesn't matter what time or day it's consistent.

I can't belive the fios isn't in your neighborhood there in lynnwood, i'm installing it there daily.

If you want PM me your address and I can check into it.
Old 10-08-2008 | 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

DUDE we barely got cable here and Verizon took two weeks to show up to hook there line back up LOL

I think we are done for now
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:00 PM
Launching!

Lol aren't you a Comcast triple play customer? Gee wonder why VZ would drag their *** to come hook back up a dead line. lol

They'll probably never run fios to the land where steers and queers live anyways. Not enough $$ income per house passed to make it worth their efforts.
Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
DUDE we barely got cable here and Verizon took two weeks to show up to hook there line back up LOL

I think we are done for now

Last edited by firehawk618; 10-08-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Could be because I'm in an older apartment complex. Last I ran the address check on verizon's site they just offered DSL.

And the speed has stayed pretty consistent with the large updates and videos I've been downloading lately on my mac, ps3 and 360. Even after the drop off. But yeah I can definately see the benefit of FiOS.

Have they improved the tech support call center at all? That was my biggest frustration with verizon at my parent's house. I have an IT background and already diagnosed our network and found the modem to be at fault. The call center repeatedly tried to tell me it was the computer when the lights on the modem would blink then flicker and power off. Finally got a manager who agreed it was the modem and they sent out a new one. Don't get me wrong I understand they have troubleshooting scripts they go through and I didn't mind doing it (until they had me do it 10x in a row).

Luckily from what I've heard though FiOS doesn't suffer the constant need to reset your modem that DSL did. Can't wait until I'm in an area that has it

How much extra for a static IP or do they do that for personal accounts?
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
Could be because I'm in an older apartment complex. Last I ran the address check on verizon's site they just offered DSL.

And the speed has stayed pretty consistent with the large updates and videos I've been downloading lately on my mac, ps3 and 360. Even after the drop off. But yeah I can definately see the benefit of FiOS.

Have they improved the tech support call center at all? That was my biggest frustration with verizon at my parent's house. I have an IT background and already diagnosed our network and found the modem to be at fault. The call center repeatedly tried to tell me it was the computer when the lights on the modem would blink then flicker and power off. Finally got a manager who agreed it was the modem and they sent out a new one. Don't get me wrong I understand they have troubleshooting scripts they go through and I didn't mind doing it (until they had me do it 10x in a row).

Luckily from what I've heard though FiOS doesn't suffer the constant need to reset your modem that DSL did. Can't wait until I'm in an area that has it

How much extra for a static IP or do they do that for personal accounts?

Yeah they have a dedicated FIOS support line...but if you keep a tech's phone number you will get much MUCH better support

Old buildings are being wired with fiber everywhere so it's not ruling your building out as far as fiber goes but do not trust the "check your address website".

Yeah no need to "powercycle" the router. Very reliable so long as the install is done properly.

No idea on what a static costs or if they'll even sell it without a business account...but I do recall one customer who did have a static at his house but it may have been built as a commercial account.