Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

Gatlinburg Rod Run in April!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's in for a deal's gap ride on Saturday? The weather for this weekend looks pretty awesome: Click

For those that don't know, Deal's Gap is the famous stretch of road that has 318 turns in 11 miles. More info: click

This is what I'm thinking:
Saturday morning, meet up in Townsend, TN at 11:30am (~35 minute drive from Pigeon Forge).
Drive on Foothills parkway, stop at one of the overlooks and do a group photo.
Drive the dragon.
Stop for lunch at the end.
Then reverse our steps back to the Rod Run.

Total Distance is about 112 miles (from Pigeon Forge, and back to PF), and roughly 4.5 hours with the 2 stops (photo, and lunch).

Add your name to the list if you are interested. I may have a conflict, but if lots of people sign up, I can use that to talk my wife out of our plans.

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 04-10-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

If i didnt pay so much for my cabin with plenty of games and hot tub + alot of beer then id sign up for it. But since i got it, gunna put it to use.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im up for it! Im actually on my way down to pigeon forge now. About 5 hours left....
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys feel free to shoot me a txt to meet up and shoot the **** about some f-bodies! 502-649-6031
Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Numba20
If i didnt pay so much for my cabin with plenty of games and hot tub + alot of beer then id sign up for it. But since i got it, gunna put it to use.
So RodRun is the reason for visiting, but you intend to stay in the cabin all weekend vs. enjoying a nice afternoon outside with car guys? If so, you should have picked a less busy weekend than RodRun if you wanted to enjoy a quiet weekend.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Just a heads up on the Gap. Some of my supermoto buddies have a summer house right across the road from the store. They said the TSP will have 2 units patrolling, and Blount County will have 1, everyday, all day, all summer. starting last weekend. They even set up a license check down on the lake last Sat. Looks like theyre really cracking down this season and gonna try and milk all the money out of tourists with as many tickets as they can.
Not discouraging the ride at all, def worth the visit and drive if you havent been before. Or even if you have. Just figured id give a heads up to those who plan on attending.
And on your drive thru, please stay in your lane, no straightening the curves. On a pretty sat like its supposed to be this weekend, motorcycle traffic will be pretty heavy both ways. Already had a death 2 weeks ago with a woman and a car. Car cut a corner and hit her head on. Ive had numerous close calls myself. Not trying to preach to you, but being a 2 wheeled nut myself just figured id try to help out where i could. Im sure im preaching to the chior, but just keep that in the back of your mind over there.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Secs-10
Just a heads up on the Gap. Some of my supermoto buddies have a summer house right across the road from the store. They said the TSP will have 2 units patrolling, and Blount County will have 1, everyday, all day, all summer. starting last weekend. They even set up a license check down on the lake last Sat. Looks like theyre really cracking down this season and gonna try and milk all the money out of tourists with as many tickets as they can.
Not discouraging the ride at all, def worth the visit and drive if you havent been before. Or even if you have. Just figured id give a heads up to those who plan on attending.
And on your drive thru, please stay in your lane, no straightening the curves. On a pretty sat like its supposed to be this weekend, motorcycle traffic will be pretty heavy both ways. Already had a death 2 weeks ago with a woman and a car. Car cut a corner and hit her head on. Ive had numerous close calls myself. Not trying to preach to you, but being a 2 wheeled nut myself just figured id try to help out where i could. Im sure im preaching to the chior, but just keep that in the back of your mind over there.
not surprised. It's a good place for revenue, and a place where a lot of showoffs have been seriously hurt.

I'm sure though you'll all be keeping it the speed limit right?

I got myself a cabin, I may drop by and look, but I doubt I'll be part of the "ceremonies" or anything. I just want to get away for the weekend.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Secs-10
Good point to anyone that goes. This is nothing new in the last few years, but worth mentioning if you have never been.

The speed limit is now 30 or 35mph, but I have a picture somewhere from the early 80s of a bike parked in front of a 55mph speedlimit sign. Pretty neat to see, but then you quickly wish it was the same speed now - especially considering the advancements in tires, suspension, cars, and the road surface is better now too. Oh well. I hear the cops head out in the late afternoon, by the way.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wheres the f-body gathering spots at?!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
So RodRun is the reason for visiting, but you intend to stay in the cabin all weekend vs. enjoying a nice afternoon outside with car guys? If so, you should have picked a less busy weekend than RodRun if you wanted to enjoy a quiet weekend.
i wont be in the cabin all weekend long. only to sleep and when its too hot outside. im here for the cars! id be on the strip walking/driving all weekend, but my girlfriend wanted the expensive cabin, and she wants 1/2 my time this weekend too. ive convinced her to let me get up with the sun, and walk the strip each day. then when the sun is setting, cruise the strip until it starts dying down. so i thought i was doing good bc my proposal ideas usually get thrown out the window. maybe next trip my group will leave the girls at home. ha! at least we got a good sized group going. 3 ls1 TA's, 2 mustangs (Cobra & GT), and a 350z nismo. were on short leashes but at least we have each other. lol
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Since no one is showing interest for the Dragon run, I've switched my plans and I'm now going hiking on Saturday, and will swing by the rodRun on Sunday with no plans to drive the dragon.

I'll be in the car in my sig (which now has the roll bar), with the top down. I probably won't be out there till about 1:30pm on Sunday - in which case I'm sure many people will be on their way out of town by then.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

anyone have a spot to hang out yet?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Food city usually has a little room to meet.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

F-Body's used to park in the grass at the Home Federal bank before dollywood. I'm not sure if this is still the case of not. If you are lowered you may have a hard time getting over the small curb. Someone used to bring homemade wodden ramps just for this.

Here is the street view: click
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive seen a few camaros riding around but havent seen any group of them hanging around anywhere yet :-(
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

^USMC....walked by your car about 2 hours ago, looks awesome! Hugger with a Quantico parking sticker? I'm up here with the family, car's at home. We loaded my wife's suv down since we've got two small kids, it would've been unbearable in an fbody. If I get back down there tomorrow, I'll stop in and see ya.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well ill be looking saturday. ill be in a 2000 NBM SS with crome 17's. Whats everyone else bringing?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ncsu- yep thats me! Sounds good man just let me know we'll be here all weekend!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

i'll be up on friday evening in a black slammed z with tt2 on it. usmc my dad retired from quantico.i'll send you a text when i get there
Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ron, sounds good! We'll be here! Any idea where youll be parking at?

Quick Reply: Gatlinburg Rod Run in April!!