Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

HOT ROD Drag Week

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
All I am saying, is that a car that goes mid 8's has so much safety stuff on it it is not a practical street car anymore. Have you seen the cage you need to be legal for that! Hotrod is pushing the "Lets race your pumpgas street car and drive it cross country" But it has to be a race car to compete due to safety requirements! Kind of a catch 22 situation. That is all I am saying.

They could have all entrants sign waivers saying it's no big deal if they die. I had to sign one when I used to race motocross, same deal.

Basically, it is who can detune or beat up there race car the most to win.

My local track will kick me out with my old motor for going 11.0 after I drive there 30 miles with my baby, wife, 17" performance street tires and pumpgas. That is not that fast!

Do you see my point at all??
No, I'm sorry I don't see your point. Rules are rules. Either play by them, or go home.

And yes, I've seen what's required to go faster than 9.99.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:16 AM
8 Second Club

Also, think of it this way.

How many 8 second 'street' cars do you know that can handle multiple 300+ mile drives? Also, think of the ones that will break along the way. I bet the group of cars will be much smaller in MI than what it started out as in KC.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's true. It's just that Through the years I have been upgrading my suspension and drivetrain. I go to car shows twice a week, and want to drive my car alot. I am finishing up a pumpgas motor that should go 9's(traction limited) at about 150 mph on 17" drag radials. It's sucks to think that I cannot enter anything because I do not cut the original body up to put in a 12 point cage, move the battery to the trunk, and drill a hole in the back to put a master cutoff switch. I guess I just never thought of my car being so "dangerous" It has been an 11.00 second pumpgas street car for the past 10 years. With modern technology letting motors make 1500 hp on pumpgas, Pretty soon we will all have to drive around in a funnycar just to meet safety standards. Think about this.. You can pull up to the line on a ZX1100 and make a pass with a helmet and leather jacket, THAT'S IT! But to go that fast in a car, Which is much safer in the first place, you need all that safety stuff. What's the difference?

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
Also, think of it this way.

How many 8 second 'street' cars do you know that can handle multiple 300+ mile drives? Also, think of the ones that will break along the way. I bet the group of cars will be much smaller in MI than what it started out as in KC.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:34 PM
8 Second Club

You can pull up to the line on a ZX1100 and make a pass with a helmet and leather jacket, THAT'S IT! But to go that fast in a car, Which is much safer in the first place, you need all that safety stuff. What's the difference?
Don't bring bikes into this...lol

The thing with bikes is...those guys are insane!

No, really with bikes, you just fall off and tumble. Other than the ground and the wall, there is nothing there to hurt you, and there is nothing that can be done, period. In a car, there is all kinds of things that can hurt you. Broken glass, crushed doors and/or roofs, fires, ect. And those things CAN be prevented with the proper saftey precautions.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:22 PM
I ruin the end of films...

The worst thing to me about the whole deal is the "Legal" thing. Many cars that would attend including myself do not have things like a cage, scattershield, 5 point harness, cutoff switch, chute, ETC.
I do not run any of this because I have a "street" car, not a race car. I only get 2 runs at GLD, but that is good enough for me to not warrent putting $3k worth of safety stuff and butcher my old street car.
I just checked Summit Racing and I didn't buy the last of any of those items, so you should be able to buy them Monday morning and be legal.

Hey, I didn't like putting a bunch of bars and **** in my street car either, but if I want to play the game, I gotta follow the rules.

Also, from what I gathered, this isn't a competition. Just like Power Tour isn't a Cannonball Run to see who gets to Kissimmee first this year. I'm sure there'll be a lot of people running regular 11 & 12-second cars on this, just to do it. I'm going to try my hardest to run it, whether it's in the twin turbo car or it's in some Mustang I buy from a ghetto car lot and slap a bottle on.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Actually, it's going to be:

KCIR
Gateway
National Trail (Columbus, OH)
US31
And a track to be named (I would guess Indy, but not sure)
I think that's what I said.

The only other track they could do is Beech Bend, but that's a long drive from STL to BG and there's no good way to get to Columbus from there (or from STL).
Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mongse
Hmm, Kansas City to Martin. Just a quick peek at the map makes me think.
-KCIR (KC)
-Waitway (St. Louis)
-IRP (Indy)
-Norwalk (Norwalk, OH)
-US31 (Martin, MI)

Just a technicality, but I think you said Norwalk!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Just a technicality, but I think you said Norwalk!
Dolt! I remember looking at Columbus. That's a short drive from Indy to Columbus. It's amazing that the split between Indy, Norwalk and Milan is almost 4 hours on each leg.

I need to cut out some 10.5W mudflaps.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:38 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mongse
I need to cut out some 10.5W mudflaps.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Default The route

Here's the route:
Kansas City, MO
St. Louis, MO
Beech Bend, KY
Columbus, OH
Martin, MI

Cars have to pass NHRA tech. Like they do at any drag strip.

We're really shooting for this to be a fun event as well as a competition, and we'd like all the 12 or 11-second cars we can get. Honestly, I need every car I can get to enter, since it will be very hard to break even on this deal, and if we don't, the company won't take a loss to let me do it again. It could be a very cool event if people show up with the right attitude.

DF
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Teching In

And of course we can't stop people from taking their trailers on a public highway. But if you get caught by us, by one of our spotters, or by another competitor using any supplies off a chase truck or on a trailer, you're out. All competitors will be issued numbered disposable cameras for catching other guys cheating.

DF
Old 05-19-2005, 07:17 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Freiburger
Here's the route:
Kansas City, MO
St. Louis, MO
Beech Bend, KY
Columbus, OH
Martin, MI

I'll clear this up before anyone asks: "I thought it was 5 tracks in 5 states?"

It is....St. Louis' track (Gateway) is actually in IL!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Freiburger
Here's the route:
Kansas City, MO
St. Louis, MO
Beech Bend, KY
Columbus, OH
Martin, MI

Cars have to pass NHRA tech. Like they do at any drag strip.

We're really shooting for this to be a fun event as well as a competition, and we'd like all the 12 or 11-second cars we can get. Honestly, I need every car I can get to enter, since it will be very hard to break even on this deal, and if we don't, the company won't take a loss to let me do it again. It could be a very cool event if people show up with the right attitude.

DF
Well, I commend you guys for doing this. First, it was Power Tour, then Pump Gas Drags and now this Dragweek. You guys are putting on some terrific events for the racers and the fans. From what I've gathered, it's more of an event to do, rather than win, kinda like Power Tour. Although a timed race from Milwaukee to Kissimmee, FL would be fun.

All competitors will be issued numbered disposable cameras for catching other guys cheating.
Secrettttt AGENT MAN!!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no outside supplies? does that mean i can't stop and pick up something at napa on the way from one track to the next, what about borrow something from another racer? i have borrowed and lent out a tool or two while at the track before.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,184 Likes on 766 Posts

Parish, if you were to do this, I would be willing to sponsor you. Hopefully you are allowed to have at least one LS1TECH sticker on your truck.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Parish, if you were to do this, I would be willing to sponsor you. Hopefully you are allowed to have at least one LS1TECH sticker on your truck.
Giving someone a sticker doesn’t necessarily constitute sponsorship.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
woohoo
Old 05-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brady
Giving someone a sticker doesn’t necessarily constitute sponsorship.
I'll sponsor you for the EZ Street race up here! I can give you a 6-pack. No fish eyes allowed though.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,184 Likes on 766 Posts

Brady, are you trying to be funny, go back to sleep.

Obviously it would be financial sponsorship and a sticker on the truck would be mandatory.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:41 AM
single digit dreamer

the hardest decision for me would be exactly how hard to push it. i could go track to track and run some high 10's with little chance of breaking it or really push it and maybe run some mid to lower 10's.

i doubt a mid 10 will get the win on something like this but it would suck to not push it and have all the big dogs drop out and then miss out on a posiable win if i had pushed it.

is there anychance at all the winner will not be 9's or quicker?

Quick Reply: HOT ROD Drag Week