Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

how fast will the quickest be at hot rod drag week?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:12 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the stall will be the same down the highway because of the lock up. i am sure we could squeeze a little more mileage out of it but at anything above 15-1 it doesn't run vary smooth, it misses. i dont care about mileage anyways. 28gallons x 12mpg = 336miles per tank. thats prety decent range. we should be able to find amocos or some other 92octane fuel along the way.

it wont be a cheap week, figure $75/day for fuel and probably another $75/day for a room. then add food, maybe a touch of race fuel(we could bring an entire barrel) or nitrous. better bring a little meth.

is it ok to drive nitto dr's 300miles in a day? they dont get hot or anything like that do they?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can drive on nittos all the time, just don't expect them to last very long. I think after a few burnouts and about 10-11K miles I wore a set out on my car. They are fine to drive on though.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

well, I am tentatively planning on making the trek. mid 10's on motor, not sure yet on the spray, but I have a stand alone wet/dry 2 stage. plan on taking a set of street tires to swap out for the highway driving (rear only), jack, basic tools and some other basic parts that may break. I think if I can run mid/high 9's on spray I think I can be very competive, based on the Pump Gas Drags results. I have a brand new clutch, T56 and freshly fully built 408, so hopefully that will all stay together. I'll just have to take it easy on it till then. only thing I'm need to do is convert to a full cage by then. I'm sure they'll be slicklers on saftey crap. I'm tuned for pump gas on motor, and run 104 in the stand alone. I think I've got a good setup for it.
wish I hadn't just ditched the cruise I'll need some rain-x too
Part of the reason I'm also likely to do it is that it starts in KC and I live there
Old 05-25-2005, 03:24 AM
11 Second Club

I'd think it'd be faster than 10's.. Just imagine if there is no limit on cubes. A mountain motor could roll in making 800hp with a streetable idle and run 9's on motor alone, much less forced induction. Hard to beat big cubes with glide/th400 and a 9". Plus with the allowance of tools it wouldn't be very difficult to change centersections from like.. 3.55's to 4.10's in no time at all.. Or put 30"-32" m/t street tires to drive on to keep the rpms down, and swap back to 27-28" for the track. Either way.. the ability to change parts makes it too easy of a task. But it will be interesting. One thing is for sure, every event I've ever heard is supposed to have all these badass cars.. and none ever show.. So if you think you can last the time running 10's.. then do it.. You might get lucky and a few of the 9 sec cars break down and you place high.

Peace,
Josh
Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by distortion_69
I'd think it'd be faster than 10's.. Just imagine if there is no limit on cubes. A mountain motor could roll in making 800hp with a streetable idle and run 9's on motor alone, much less forced induction. Hard to beat big cubes with glide/th400 and a 9". Plus with the allowance of tools it wouldn't be very difficult to change centersections from like.. 3.55's to 4.10's in no time at all.. Or put 30"-32" m/t street tires to drive on to keep the rpms down, and swap back to 27-28" for the track. Either way.. the ability to change parts makes it too easy of a task. But it will be interesting.
you are probably right - a few guys on the HOT ROD forums are talking about going, who have monster cube motors that make big power, but can possibly make the trek. I guess around here, anyone who jumps to the big cubes seem to go crazy with giant cams, etc. but there is truth in the idea of building a "mild" 900hp turbo or sprayed big block that can run consistent 9s...

My observations as a spectator to a lot of "True Street" events is EXACTLY what you said here:

One thing is for sure, every event I've ever heard is supposed to have all these badass cars.. and none ever show.. So if you think you can last the time running 10's.. then do it.. You might get lucky and a few of the 9 sec cars break down and you place high.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I bet some big dogs from PGD will try, and they will have chaser vehicles if they break down.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I bet some big dogs from PGD will try, and they will have chaser vehicles if they break down.
maybe, but all the chaser vehicle will be good for is getting them home, they'll be dq'd for using it to fix or carry anything....i know it's in the rules, but i think all the talk of trying to carry as much as you can is kinda defeating the "cool" factor of the event(although i understand it's also cool to have that utility in a truck that races).....they should make everyone use the tires they drive in on......
Old 05-25-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell if i would of know sooner--i would of followed ya with my camper and we could of slept in that! shower full kitchen and i toilet! all we need!
When is this?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:46 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by diehardchevy
hell if i would of know sooner--i would of followed ya with my camper and we could of slept in that! shower full kitchen and i toilet! all we need!
When is this?
it isn't till september.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fandango
That'd be freaking great. The drag vehicle TOWING the trailer.
That gets a 10 for uniqueness I'd say. Only problem is that the truck needs to fit on the tailer so another truck can get it home! Jim, I know you think highly of your 10-bolt but these tires will be it's undoing! I hope you get it on video, it's a really neat sound when it goes.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 PM
single digit dreamer

i probably wont overload on parts. there are just too many little things that can go wrong it would be hard to plan for everything and the thing you dont plan on is what would break. i think we will just hit the road with a nice set of basic tools and a few basic parts. if the tranny or one of the diff's let go then we will give up and find a way home.

i am not sure what to do with the rear. i hope to have a 9.5" front and some strong 1/2 shafts in there by then but in the rear i am not sure what route to take with it. i could slap in a 2500 rear, can you just get the axles redrilled so i can use the same wheels? with a strong front and rear and some stickies who knows what this thing might run but that is a lot of work(money) and i dont know if it will all get done by then.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM has never put together a 6-lug version of the 9.5" with discs... until now. The Trailblazer SS will have one but that will be too narrow for use in a full-size. The parts are out there.

It won't be simple but it's got to be possible. There are two bolt patterns for the flanges at the ends of the tubes. If you can find out which 9.5" rear has the same flange pattern your 10-bolt does (if any) then it will be possible bolt your brakes right up to it. If the housing turns out to have 8-lug axles in it that's no big deal - you can buy new 6x5.5" lug pattern ones with the correct 78.3mm hub and M14-1.5 lug studs already installed. Considering the cost of filling, machining, re-drilling, and then turning down the hubs on 8-lug axles I think replacing them is the way to go. (Machine shops take too damn long anyway!)

All the rest of the crap is easy to change - spring perches, shock mounts, driveshaft yoke and length, etc. All that matters is the brakes. Overcome that and it's good to go.

I haven't seen anyone else go the route of 9.5" on a NBS half-ton. It will be interesting to see what happens. I can tell you the 9.5" won't hold up it you ever go 2WD and get some real traction. They're still C-Clip rears and those housings do flex.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I will say the "average" will be somewhere in the tens, this is an excellent way to seperate the race and streetcars, your truck will definately be in the hunt. You have the ultimate setup you can carry everything you need, let us know how you do.

David
lol not achance in hell

Iplan on makeing this event and i run consitna high 8s

a event like this is actualy easier on my car then the hot rod pump gas drags was.

highwaymiles are cake due to the ariflow and nice constant rpm.. much easier then the 30 mile drive of the pgd in 5 pm trafic.

also thsi event you are allowed to run race gas at the track so there is nothing to stop me from turnigntheboost down driving between tracks then putinginthegas and turning it up to 28 psi and runing mid 8s at each track.

i also know of at least ONE SEVEN second car that is planign to atempt this

turbo cars do not need large cams my hyd roller cam will easily handle 1000 miles
Old 05-27-2005, 11:58 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by turbosaleen
lol not achance in hell

a event like this is actualy easier on my car then the hot rod pump gas drags was.

highwaymiles are cake due to the ariflow and nice constant rpm.. much easier then the 30 mile drive of the pgd in 5 pm trafic.

also thsi event you are allowed to run race gas at the track so there is nothing to stop me from turnigntheboost down driving between tracks then putinginthegas and turning it up to 28 psi and runing mid 8s at each track.

turbo cars do not need large cams my hyd roller cam will easily handle 1000 miles
At least learn to spell and write when you troll...it will make you more believeable

Yes there will be some fast cars out there, whether this fast or not, well...that's why they run the race right?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Id love to go but I dont think I can get slicks in my car and a cage. These are going to be run at some NHRA tracks right?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

WAs wondering when the "I run 8s" crew was going to chime in.

All I can say is, I hope your combo holds together. Because all the "True Street" events I attend, the high 8-sec cars are barely streetable - if you run 8s even with a turbo, you're well over 1000HP right? I will love seeing this on the cruise - hope to see you there!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by turbosaleen
lol not achance in hell

Most motors that can run in the 7s wont last very long going over 1000 miles on top of racing.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Default This should make it more worth it

Parish, really glad you'll come. Should be way neat. And here's an announcement I just made that makes it more worth it for "slower" guys to show up.

There will be an announcement coming in the magazine, but here's the news now: We have broken Drag Week competition into five easy classes to encourage more guys to come out and have fun even if they think they can't compete with the big dogs. We'll name winners in each class, as well as an overall event winner with the best overall average. The classes are:

- Daily Driver: This is for all cars running slower than 12.000. The car with the weeklong average closest to 12.000 wins. Cars in this class cannot compete for the overall win.
- Naturally Asprirated Small-Block, 423ci and smaller
- Naturally Aspirated Big-Block, 424ci and bigger
- Boost/Nitrous Small-Block, 423ci and smaller
- Boost/Nitrous Big-Block, 424ci and bigger

As a reminder, the event is a week of drag racing with five tracks in five days, and the winners are determined by lowest average e.t. over five days. Rules are in HOT ROD Magazine and HOTROD.com. Here's the schedule:
Sept 11 Kickoff in Kansas City
Sept 12, Kansas City International Raceway
Sept 13 Gateway
Sept 14 Beech Bend
Sept 15 National Trail
Sept 16 Martin, MI

It's $125 to preregister before August 15 at 877/413-6515, or $150 on site at Kansas City. Spectators are free.

DF
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats Jim Parish, saw your little write up in Hot Rod magazine i got today!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Superman09
Congrats Jim Parish, saw your little write up in Hot Rod magazine i got today!
thanks! drag week was the funest week ever. i will be going back next year.

Quick Reply: how fast will the quickest be at hot rod drag week?