Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edgar Perez is taking his Vette to American Muscle

Edgar Perez is taking his Vette to American Muscle
March 01, 2006

Photo courtesy of Chris Young

Howell, NJ - Edgar Perez made his first full season foray into Corteco National Street Car Association competition last year running simultaneously in both the EFI Eliminator and ASCC Genuine Street. The freshman racer started the season off with a bang at the Belle Rose season opener taking the #1 qualifier position and sweeping both classes with his 1999 Corvette but mechanical woes haunted him for the rest of 2005.

"As they say, when you start at the top, down is the only way to go. I struggled the rest of the season but managed to finish second in both classes despite transmission and converter troubles. I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my performance," Perez commented. "I'm still not happy with my reaction times on the Pro .500 tree but they did improve."

Perez always wanted to run in American Muscle because of the full tree but the 2005 rules precluded Corvettes built after 1984. With the rule changes made over the winter, all Corvettes are now welcome making possible the move to the well populated and highly contested eliminator.

"I look forward to competing in American Muscle even though some of the racers have decided to move to Street Machine, the EFI Eliminator replacement. Of course, they made their decision after I announced my move to American Muscle," laughed Perez.

Perez has been busy in his garage over the winter. The transmission and converter issues have been addressed. The engine has been freshened and upgraded with a custom ground camshaft, FAST LSX intake manifold, 90mm throttle body, and a set of Dart's new Pro 1 LS1 heads worked by Rolling Thunderz's Ned Erkman.

In addition, Perez put the Torch Red Vette on a diet with a set of Bogart wheels and Strange Engineering Pro Drag brakes in the front along with Mickey Thompson ET Street Fronts. He also eliminated a few pounds in the interior with the installation of a new set of Corbeau racing seats.

"Expectations for 2006 are to have a more reliable, consistent car," said Perez. "I finished the season squeaking into the 10's with a single 10.986@124.66 mph pass at Atco Raceway, coincidently the location of the first NSCA race. My hope is to be close to the 10.50 area during the great New Jersey mineshaft air days and able to run 11.50 second et's regardless of weather or elevation for American Muscle and ASCC competition."

"Racing is a hobby I much enjoy and cannot do it with the help of my sponsors," continued Perez. "First and foremost, I have to thank The Vette Doctors of Amityville, NY (www.thevettedoctors.com), who make the car possible, RevXtreme (www.revxtreme.com) helps to pay the bills for travel, and Dart Heads and Rolling Thunderz."

Visit nsca-racing.net for more information on the series.