Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008 | 07:59 PM
Launching!

Default Paint question

Im painting my 02. Its the first time its been painted since the factory. It only has a few few chips on the bumper. To be honest it looks great for 70k. Its artic white and I am just going to repaint it white again. But i was curious what some metallic flake in the paint would look like. I just want it to be able to clean up real nice and have just a tad bit more shine. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2008 | 08:27 PM
sar
Banned

you can use more fine pearls which could come out under a certain angle. if you use flake it will be in paint permanent. do you want the paint to be screaming or you want a hidden pearl? it all depends how crazy you wanna get. i recommend a pearl
Old 10-12-2008 | 10:17 PM
Launching!

well my ex girlfriend step dad has a paint shop and she did a pearl but it almost looked grainy. I didnt like that at all. I want the smooth look of the artic whitel. What do you suggest? Would maybe more coats of clear give me the effect i want
Old 10-12-2008 | 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shdybrady1988
well my ex girlfriend step dad has a paint shop and she did a pearl but it almost looked grainy. I didnt like that at all. I want the smooth look of the artic whitel. What do you suggest? Would maybe more coats of clear give me the effect i want
Adding more coats of clear will only add more coats of clear. Its clear....

If you add sparkle white pearls you might be able to achieve the look you want, another good look for you might be the addition of really fine crushed glass to the 1st layer or two of clear or intercoat clear on top of the white. Glass (while the EPA REALLY DOESNT LIKE IT) looks bitchin like metallic or metal flake, but doesnt ever go flat, it maintains its sparkle. It will take some talking to friends to find it, make sure you strain the hell out of it, but its a hell of a look.

Oh and for the love of god, wear a respirator and a suit when spraying it, you think fiberglass itches?
Old 10-12-2008 | 10:46 PM
Launching!

oh no i am not painting it. I am getting someone to paint it. I dont have the means for it. I just want to make sure i have everything down packed before i talk to the guy

Quick Reply: Paint question