Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

need help asap how to repair small whole in rear bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help asap how to repair small whole in rear bumper!

just like the title says, i need help i have a small hole in my rear bumper size of a dime that i need to fix....it was like that when i bought the car...getting car painted and doing all my own body work and just looking to see what would be recommended to use.....the rear bumper is obviously plastic not sure what to use to fill it to fix it! any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ls1tech!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dtown_racer
just like the title says, i need help i have a small hole in my rear bumper size of a dime that i need to fix....it was like that when i bought the car...getting car painted and doing all my own body work and just looking to see what would be recommended to use.....the rear bumper is obviously plastic not sure what to use to fill it to fix it! any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ls1tech!
Fiberglass is probably your best bet.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a 2 part material called ChemWeld. It's specifically made for repairs on bumper covers. Go to your local body shop and they can show you it. Works great!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Teching In

correct way: plastic weld it back together, then use a thin coat of bumper repair for final sanding.

If you don't have access to a plastic welder go to the local autobody supply store and get mesh for fiberglass and 2-part bumper repair material. Grind the inside of the bumper about 2 inches around the hole, then tape the hole closed on the outside of the bumper, using the mesh and repair material do your repairs from the back side of the bumper. Once this dries, pull off your tape and the hole will be filled, you still need to grind the outside of the bumper around the repair and apply a thin coat of repair material that you will sand to perfection.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Replace the bumper since you are getting a paint job.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Yes they are correct but do not use fiberglass. It does not stick to plastic well.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blownh2x
If you don't have access to a plastic welder go to the local autobody supply store and get mesh for fiberglass and 2-part bumper repair material. Grind the inside of the bumper about 2 inches around the hole, then tape the hole closed on the outside of the bumper, using the mesh and repair material do your repairs from the back side of the bumper. Once this dries, pull off your tape and the hole will be filled, you still need to grind the outside of the bumper around the repair and apply a thin coat of repair material that you will sand to perfection.
this guy is 100% correct, that is how you should do it, Oreilley's sells a 3M brand structural adhesive called 8115, you have to use a special gun to use it though, but the stuff is awesome
Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help guys, and ya if i had the money i would buy a new bumper but thats dumb its a dime size hole id rather fix it then spend a 100 on a bumper lol thanks guys!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wait wait, certain types of plastic need a adheshion promoter for any type of repair material to stick, polyurathene is yellow in color and that need no adheshion promoter , TPE/TPO.TEO/ PP all those need adheshion promoter
if it were me i would plastic weld the hole shut, lightly grinding both sides, welding the hole shut again takes allot of experience to do correctly
apply repair material to both sides, sounds easy looks easy but its not

Quick Reply: need help asap how to repair small whole in rear bumper!