Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Swirl marks..How do you?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl marks..How do you?

I have a 98 SS and its red as you can see on my sig.. now how do i remove those swirl marks.. i have tried waxing it... and using some of those so called swirl removals.. and nada... anybody have any success with that and what they used.. or do i have to repaint??
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to be buffed out w/3M soft pad polish & a soft pad or if you don't have access to a buffer try Meguiar's NXT Generation Wax it worked great on my black SS.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not get the results you want if you don't purchase a Porter Cable 7424. Purchase one, get the right accessories, purchase some Mezerna Intensive Polish and read up on how to use it correctly and you will be amazed. I remember doing the Trans Am for the first time. It was night time and cold as hell but I still went out to do the back half. The next day I could see the difference between the back bumper/rear quarters and the door and was blown away!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

You need to get it buffed. It may be time for a new paint job but try buffing it first. If you have deep marks that you may have mistaken for 'swirl' marks then you may need to look into new paint job prices.

It also helps that my husband is a painter. LOL
Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apply wax with a rotary buffer via applicator pad, let set for a half an hour or until wax has solidified, then wiping off wax by hand and touch it up by using a fine cloth pad or sheep skin. That usually works for me. Also, many times you get swirl marks is after you wash your car in the sun or wax it in daylight. I find waxing at night better. I usually wax my car at night. I first hand wash, hand dry, apply wax by hand (generously), drive it up the road to cool the wax faster and then remove wax by hand. However, a rotary buffer works well. DO NOT USE COMMERCIAL BUFFER! They have been known to take clear coat right off.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldnt recommend a rotary to a newb at buffing because hes going to burn the clear right off the car. definately go with the porter cable. do a search on here because your going to find a million different methods of getting your paint to look flawless. choose what best suits you and your budget.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks to all great advice!

Search this Thread