Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Por-15 Blackcote

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Por-15 Blackcote

Does anyone have experience with blackcote? I am painting my rollcage this weekend and I dont know if I have to let the por-15 completely set and dry before I apply this. Por-15's instructions are not clear. That or do I wait until my second coat of por-15 is tacky and then apply the blackcote?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Launching!

I have used this stuff and alot of their other paints...I agree with you on the directions because they are confusing. Luckily I got a book with all the products and read on the website too before using. You have to wait till it is completely dry before painting. Then you need to scuff the shine off of the POR 15, wipe down, let dry, then paint with Blackcote. It is definately a long process but all I could say when I was done was WOW. I painted my engine bay and my underbody with Whitecoat, it looks excellent...I will be posting pics of the car when I am done but right now I need to finish building the motor and then install it all, so it will be a while. I only used the POR-15 on my subframes where the car had developed rust from the jacking points. I tested it out with a hammer to see if it would hold.....and it did.

I have painted all my suspension parts with the Blackcote as well, LCA's, PHB, Sway Bars and so on.
I will most likely be painting my rear with the POR 15 and Blackcote as well to keep it looking good until I have enough for a Midwest 9''.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes you need to wait till its tacky before applying the next coat. Make sure you are in a very well ventillated area with fans and wear a respirator. That stuff is wicked, it will lay you out. Good luck.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

If I gave the two coats of regular por-15 a day do you think it would be fully hardened for 600grit sanding? Drying time it says 3-5 hours, but i saw somewhere for 96 hours for fully cured( might have been blackcote).
I have painted my rearend and underbody with this, but never used a topcoat.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I know the paint takes 4 days, 96 hours, before fully hardened/ cured. The POR 15 should be good for a 600 grit sanding after 24 hours!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
If I gave the two coats of regular por-15 a day do you think it would be fully hardened for 600grit sanding? Drying time it says 3-5 hours, but i saw somewhere for 96 hours for fully cured( might have been blackcote).
I have painted my rearend and underbody with this, but never used a topcoat.
It dries pretty quick but i think 5 hours is pushing it. If you let it dry overnight you could probably sand it in the morning. But it does take 4-5 days to fully cure.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Por-15 Blackcote