Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

why is silver so hard to match?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i'm just a little worried about these shops that i've been gettin quotes from. 2 main ones that i'm considering...i hope they do a good job and the people in the local club swear by them so...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by randomnine7
yeah . i paint . and silver is a bitch to match .. ive sprayed a few cars with exact paint codes and its still a lil off .. most people wnt notice but a painter or sumone that knw will def notice .. 700-1000 seem like a fair price considering that it will require half the car to be recleard and cut/polished ..

yup yup silver is a bitch . and air presure distance from gun and how wet u spray it will have alot to do with trying to match the color .
not to mention any of those variables can cause tiger striping even with crosshatching and a dust coat
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Launching!

yall aren't making me feel any better about painting my car...just fyi guys lol
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
depends on what's been painted. my car has 4 different ages of paint on it right now (original 1995 paint on the sides, and rear hatch, rear bumper and gfx paint from 2005, front bumper paint from summer 2007 and finally hood, headlight door and roof panel paint from march of 2008) and you really can't tell. it probably helps that everything except the roof panel (which has definate breaks where they can stop) and one of the lower GFX pieces (because a shop broke the other one trying to get it off and didn't want to damage the other one) were removed from the car during painting.

then again it's black so i guess that's probably why.

no, it does not matter on whats being painted, you CANNOT match factory paint to new paint, and then given mettalics and other factors like age, one panel is urethane the other is fiberglass or metal, im telling you right now, i dont care how good you think your painter is, it is impossible to perfectly match aged paint. so therefore the only correct way to paint a car like new bumper or hood, etc is to blend the paint.

your car looks nice, and may be pretty close, but those pictures dont do the car justice, it needs to be seen by my eyes.

to the op, just get the panels blended, spend the extra money, cause if you dont, all the paint shop is going to say is we needed to blend it to make it match and you chose not to to save money, tough ****.

good luck lol
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My sebring silver Camaro is going in the body shop on monday. I am having the dents in my drivers rear quarter fixed and my new bumper and scratched rear bumper painted so they said they will paint both bumpers blending into hood, fenders, drivers door and drivers rear quarter for around $1200. I'm also waiting for an LS1 SS spoiler to come next week to have that painted too. I think I will just have the spoiler painted separately though and just bolt it on myself after. I will post before/after pics and results.

Quick Reply: why is silver so hard to match?