Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

why is silver so hard to match?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is silver so hard to match?

still have my hood and spoiler waiting to be put on. but i got some price quotes and its pretty up there. they said they HAVE to blend in the fenders to the hood because silver is just one of those colors where it won't look right if they just paint the hood the color code. my car is 02 so the paint is 7yrs of wear.

how much would it cost just sebring silver hood and spoiler, no stripes or anything. but i just wanna get these parts on my car. blended and everything? i just want to make sure i don't get jipped

thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

i had a spoiler painted sebring silver metallic for my 98 by just the paint code and you wouldnt be able to tell it was different if i didnt tell you...the hood is so much bigger though it would most likely make a difference...with blending in the fenders and bumper it would be around 700-1000
Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all of the metallic in it that makes it hard to match. I was told that there are many variables when it comes to spraying silver..like air pressure and ? I'm sure an actual painter will chime in.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Launching!

so about 800-850 is a fair price? because thats what its been around
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah . i paint . and silver is a bitch to match .. ive sprayed a few cars with exact paint codes and its still a lil off .. most people wnt notice but a painter or sumone that knw will def notice .. 700-1000 seem like a fair price considering that it will require half the car to be recleard and cut/polished ..

yup yup silver is a bitch . and air presure distance from gun and how wet u spray it will have alot to do with trying to match the color .
Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Agreed. To someone who doesnt know it might look the same but you could tell the difference. They were charging me like 500-600 for just the front bumper. I'm ready to paint the whole car already b/c you (I) can tell the difference from the bumper, fender, hood and wing especially in sunlight.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by randomnine7
yeah . i paint . and silver is a bitch to match .. ive sprayed a few cars with exact paint codes and its still a lil off .. most people wnt notice but a painter or sumone that knw will def notice .. 700-1000 seem like a fair price considering that it will require half the car to be recleard and cut/polished ..

yup yup silver is a bitch . and air presure distance from gun and how wet u spray it will have alot to do with trying to match the color .
x2 to everything you said.. haha

..thats why I haven't gotten rid of these stupid LS1 stickers that have been cleared over on my car yet... I can't stand mismatched paint (even when blended)... so i'm gonna have to paint my entire car just to get rid of them
Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ricer
x2 to everything you said.. haha

..thats why I haven't gotten rid of these stupid LS1 stickers that have been cleared over on my car yet... I can't stand mismatched paint (even when blended)... so i'm gonna have to paint my entire car just to get rid of them
How long have the stickers been on the car?
I know someone who had huge stickers on his car for years, took them off and just buffed the whole car afterwards. You couldn't notice anything.

I'm getting my bumper repainted soon. Hope it turns out alright.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lizard King
How long have the stickers been on the car?
I know someone who had huge stickers on his car for years, took them off and just buffed the whole car afterwards. You couldn't notice anything.

I'm getting my bumper repainted soon. Hope it turns out alright.
the stickers are cleared over... its not a matter of just pealing them off.. or they would have been gone 30 seconds after handing over the check.. haha..
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

the stickers are cleared over... its not a matter of just pealing them off.. or they would have been gone 30 seconds after handing over the check.. haha..
Oh, didn't notice the "cleared over" part in your post haha.

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Silver is definitely the sexiest color for our cars!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you find a painter willing to take the they could match the color, but it will look best if it gets blended.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

every partial paint job should be blended, their is not an exact way to match aged paint, and given that the silver is just a tough color, just be happy texas has not switched to water based yet, like they have in california, paint shops are having to fight with the insurance company's for hundreds of dollars more for more blending and extra time, i keep hearing from my shop that silver is just the bitch color to match especially with water based, guys are calling it nearly impossible.

anyhow good luck.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Launching!

mine was repainted in just a few fenders and both bumpers. really my whole car has been repainted EXCEPT for the doors. and boy can you see a difference in the paint. i hate it. nobody else can tell but its my car, so i see everything wrong with it.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
every partial paint job should be blended, their is not an exact way to match aged paint, and given that the silver is just a tough color, just be happy texas has not switched to water based yet, like they have in california, paint shops are having to fight with the insurance company's for hundreds of dollars more for more blending and extra time, i keep hearing from my shop that silver is just the bitch color to match especially with water based, guys are calling it nearly impossible.

anyhow good luck.
depends on what's been painted. my car has 4 different ages of paint on it right now (original 1995 paint on the sides, and rear hatch, rear bumper and gfx paint from 2005, front bumper paint from summer 2007 and finally hood, headlight door and roof panel paint from march of 2008) and you really can't tell. it probably helps that everything except the roof panel (which has definate breaks where they can stop) and one of the lower GFX pieces (because a shop broke the other one trying to get it off and didn't want to damage the other one) were removed from the car during painting.

then again it's black so i guess that's probably why.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
still have my hood and spoiler waiting to be put on. but i got some price quotes and its pretty up there. they said they HAVE to blend in the fenders to the hood because silver is just one of those colors where it won't look right if they just paint the hood the color code. my car is 02 so the paint is 7yrs of wear.

how much would it cost just sebring silver hood and spoiler, no stripes or anything. but i just wanna get these parts on my car. blended and everything? i just want to make sure i don't get jipped

thanks
In paint over 3 years old there are issues with UV fading as well as pearls and metallics laying in the same pattern as the newly sprayed panel. Panel blending is the only way to get a true match, I dont care what anyone says
Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the metalic is the one thats hard but should be able to match no worry
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Launching!

aight, well i trust yall so i'm gonna go the best route to make my car look good. i'll be getting her painted next weekend! wish me luck!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

just remember.. if it doesn't look right to you.. speak up THAT DAY... don't wait a week then decide you aren't satisfied
Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Launching!

just remember.. if it doesn't look right to you.. speak up THAT DAY... don't wait a week then decide you aren't satisfied

believe me, i speak my mind when it comes to my car
Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
believe me, i speak my mind when it comes to my car
haha.. well you would be surprised how often that happens... or they come back a week later with a huge scratch then decide they aren't happy with the way it matches..

Quick Reply: why is silver so hard to match?