Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

can I remove the impact foam behind my front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvalliere
Well first off I have 10yrs. of collision repair experiance, multiple certs. including State, I-CAR and ASE. Now let me make this clear, absorbers are not the SOLE thing protecting you in a crash. However, it is a vital part in the desgin of a vehicle manufactures' desgin of how the vehicle properly crushes when in a collison.

And I'm not getting butt hurt what so ever. If you wanna remove it so be it. I'm just stating facts. But having the knowlege I have I personally would not do so. If I had a strictly track car then I would remove it due to the fact that the cars structure would be reinforced more with the addition of a roll cage and ect.
at 100mph is it going to protect me while rolling end over end?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ lol even i trap faster than that.. what if i get hit and start rolling at the end of the 1/4.. is it gonna protect me?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 13lu91rS
^^ lol even i trap faster than that.. what if i get hit and start rolling at the end of the 1/4.. is it gonna protect me?
i trap much higher than that also.. i was just throwing a speed out there..
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Christ I'm just stating 30+ years of crash tested fact, and that there is actually a function behind it besides holding your bumpers shape. It's not like I'm saying that your gonna burn in hell or go to a federal pound me in the *** prision for removing it. Do what you want, he can do what he want's. If he cares about weight reduction as much as you obviously do, then i could give a **** less if he took it out.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Christ I'm just stating 30+ years of crash tested fact, and that there is actually a function behind it besides holding your bumpers shape. It's not like I'm saying that your gonna burn in hell or go to a federal pound me in the *** prision for removing it. Do what you want, he can do what he want's. If he cares about weight reduction as much as you obviously do, then i could give a **** less if he took it out.
hehe
Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Launching!

well if anyone cares I left it in, mostly out of convenience, I cut an opening in the holes... I was more worried about the structural integrity of the bumper so I left it, (that and I was getting a little lazy).
Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Launching!

dang, thats awesome i bet those sweet headlight covers you have really help in a crash then.

i still am not seeing any factual proof, post up some reference or something. its all been hearsay .

im not saying your wrong, im just skeptical!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Surely, when cars are crash tested, things like this are also tested. ANY type of "shock absorbant" material is going to help soften the blow.

A little off/on topic: you know how they build "tire walls" at race tracks in front of the cement walls? (basically, just stacks of tires banded together, a couple rows deep) ..... well, I ran my car off track a couple years ago doing ~120 MPH, and skidded sideways into the tire wall (probably slowed down to ~40 - 50 MPH by that point) ... and it was a surprisingly SOFT landing!! Other than the driver's front corner getting pushed in slightly (a couple bent brackets behind the headlight), and a small dent behind the driver's door, virtually nothing "broke", and all I was left with was scuffed up paint and that dent which was removed by a "paintless dent removal" guy . Now, tell me what would have happened without those tires in place, and just the cement wall?

My point is, shock absorbing material works. Sorry I don't have "proof" of how good the front bumper foam is, but I guarantee you that in an identical crash, with and without the foam, the one WITH will survive much better (and the occupants will suffer LESS injury). Note: LESS doesn't mean NONE, but simply, LESS .
Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Do it, you'll just bounce off the air bag a little harder in crash. I doubt it's a life and death difference.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Damn you guys are harsh, but anyway I would just leave it in there...Like removing a 3 lb piece of foam is going to make your car any faster

~greg
Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

I took it out and its more than foam its about 30 lbs and you can't even tell its out oh in a trans am you well loose your driving lights
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmdriv3r
Damn you guys are harsh, but anyway I would just leave it in there...Like removing a 3 lb piece of foam is going to make your car any faster

~greg
the whole setup is much more than 3lbs.... even if it was 3lbs... say if me and you have identical setups running identical times... i take off 20 3lb objects.... guess who is going to win?
not trying to start a debate, but it has been proven over and over that weight reduction is HUGE in drag racing... if your not serious about the sport, so be it, leave it in.... if you are, take it out..

Originally Posted by Formula98ramair
I took it out and its more than foam its about 30 lbs and you can't even tell its out oh in a trans am you well loose your driving lights
i made a custom bracket to put some aftermarket fog lights in mine.. i took those out though and am putting the stock fogs on my bracket.... looks very clean... the fogs and bracket and stuff only weigh about 2 lbs..
Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

im not tryin to be a dick but if your so stuck on weight reduction....why in the hell did you get a f-body. Get a damn crx......im going with cvallier.....what it comes down to is yeah, it may not have a BIG difference if he crashes on the drag strip but how many wrecks happen at an excess of 100 mph? NOT MANY!!! Most wrecks happen at low speeds which a little foam may help to keeping the damage to just the nose rather than the whole support. If you wanna rip all your **** out go for it, im much happier bustin peoples asses with a fully functioning, ac having street car. If you dont like that then fine, take the **** talkin somewhere else. e-tough guys are for the birds man.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what it comes down to is yeah, it may not have a BIG difference if he crashes on the drag strip but how many wrecks happen at an excess of 100 mph? NOT MANY!!! Most wrecks happen at low speeds which a little foam may help to keeping the damage to just the nose rather than the whole support.

hit the nail on the head, street car= leave the foam in, if your in minor fender bender it might be the difference between a few grand in damage or making the car fubar. if your wrecking at over 100mph, you got bigger issues to worry about. it is amazing how much damn room you get by removing the support though...
Old 03-29-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vert_z
im not tryin to be a dick but if your so stuck on weight reduction....why in the hell did you get a f-body. Get a damn crx......im going with cvallier.....what it comes down to is yeah, it may not have a BIG difference if he crashes on the drag strip but how many wrecks happen at an excess of 100 mph? NOT MANY!!! Most wrecks happen at low speeds which a little foam may help to keeping the damage to just the nose rather than the whole support. If you wanna rip all your **** out go for it, im much happier bustin peoples asses with a fully functioning, ac having street car. If you dont like that then fine, take the **** talkin somewhere else. e-tough guys are for the birds man.
wtf are you talking about? are you saying im trying to be an e-tough guy?? where the hell in ANY of my posts did i act like i was doing this? if you consider expressing your opinion that, then i have a feeling you are a VERY sensitive "guy"..
again, where is this "**** talking" you speak of?

you go brag about having ac, ill brag about walking off from people.. i could care less if a car has an ac or radio or speakers etc. etc, if its fast thats all that matters, having an ac impresses me about this " ll " much..

why did i not buy something smaller and less weight, i simply dont like them.. i like fbodys and thats what i wanted to build, plus its got an amazing platform to build from.. im right where i want to be on my weight, dont really want to go in lower because traction would begin to play a huge role... and im a lot lighter than most cars, even cars much lighter than mine from factory..
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
wtf are you talking about? are you saying im trying to be an e-tough guy?? where the hell in ANY of my posts did i act like i was doing this? if you consider expressing your opinion that, then i have a feeling you are a VERY sensitive "guy"..
again, where is this "**** talking" you speak of?

you go brag about having ac, ill brag about walking off from people.. i could care less if a car has an ac or radio or speakers etc. etc, if its fast thats all that matters, having an ac impresses me about this " ll " much..

why did i not buy something smaller and less weight, i simply dont like them.. i like fbodys and thats what i wanted to build, plus its got an amazing platform to build from.. im right where i want to be on my weight, dont really want to go in lower because traction would begin to play a huge role... and im a lot lighter than most cars, even cars much lighter than mine from factory..
wow.....thats all i have to say.

Wait, i just caught something....im a sensitive "guy".....i can use bunny ears too...."*** clown". Chill the hell out man.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow.....thats all i have to say.

Wait, i just caught something....im a sensitive "guy".....i can use bunny ears too...."*** clown". Chill the hell out man.
"hahahhahaa" "what a joke"
Old 03-29-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Jokes on you, who's the one with his panties in a bunch? This is the internet, not the school yard.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jokes on you, who's the one with his panties in a bunch? This is the internet, not the school yard.
you honestly think i got worked up about something in this thread, maybe you should pay attention to how much fun i have on this site..

i think i take a lot more on this site than you do, come to the SR&K section and see how serious i am on this site.. lmfao...

get worked up over this site, or someone like you....
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
you think?

i honestly dont care... if im in a wreck and im relying on foam........ well you get the idea..

i have no front/rear bumper supports, side impact bars, etc... i dont think im exactly worried with safety on the street..
alright people, lets lay off this guy for removing all his safety impact absorbing equipment...he obviously planned to not get Tboned, rear ended or hit anything, so whats it matter than all the safety gear is gone on a street driven car?!

...although i wonder what the insurance company would say when they found out all that safety gear that GM and the government built into the car was removed

Quick Reply: can I remove the impact foam behind my front bumper?