Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

can I remove the impact foam behind my front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
alright people, lets lay off this guy for removing all his safety impact absorbing equipment...he obviously planned to not get Tboned, rear ended or hit anything, so whats it matter than all the safety gear is gone on a street driven car?!

...although i wonder what the insurance company would say when they found out all that safety gear that GM and the government built into the car was removed
haha, i can take it.. been here too long not to be able to... i can also dish when need be....

my buddy got rear ended about a month ago actually in his Z... no front or rear bumper supports/foam... crushed the rear pretty good... not a clue as to if the supports would help, although im sure they would have to a certain degree... insurance company didnt say one thing to him about it at all.. not even sure if they noticed, or cared for that matter.
The following users liked this post:
Gavin Carr (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it legal?

Originally Posted by cvalliere
Well first off I have 10yrs. of collision repair experiance, multiple certs. including State, I-CAR and ASE. Now let me make this clear, absorbers are not the SOLE thing protecting you in a crash. However, it is a vital part in the desgin of a vehicle manufactures' desgin of how the vehicle properly crushes when in a collison.

And I'm not getting butt hurt what so ever. If you wanna remove it so be it. I'm just stating facts. But having the knowlege I have I personally would not do so. If I had a strictly track car then I would remove it due to the fact that the cars structure would be reinforced more with the addition of a roll cage and ect.
I have a new grill & really want to remove the foam part behind before fitting it but firstly is it illegal to remove it? & secondly, would I have to let my insurance company know if I did?
Thanks

Quick Reply: can I remove the impact foam behind my front bumper?